Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2.4 GHz. Antenna Question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 05:03 PM
Tech Master

Cool 2.4 GHz. Antenna Question...

I recently upgraded my 75MHz radio to a 2.4GHz[Airtronics MX-3X] radio and am wondering If I need to have the antenna out of the body...I race 2wd buggy and the buggy would be,maybe, 80 feet away at all times...I ask because I see all the other buggy racers doing this, but wanted to make sure it wouldn't cause a significant difference in the radio range...Don't want to lose radio frequency in the middle of the main...

Thanks, Racer53
Old 05-31-2011, 05:40 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The Tactic 2.4 radios have no antenna at all. I was really hesitant to put one in my Inferno GT onroad, but it works fine and I've driven it a lot more than 80' away.

Suspect you're ok with no antenna showing.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I also recently upgraded to 2.4 and I have one rig that I have been running for a few weeks with no problems, it's coiled loosely in the reciever box which is not logically a good thing. In fact I forgot all about it until I read your post...
Old 06-02-2011, 06:29 AM
Tech Initiate

What is the optimal way to mount an antenna inside the body? coils? lots of straights? loop the perimeter of the body? etc etc?

Also any tips, like "keep away from the motor" or "dont let the antenna cross itself", etc?
Old 06-03-2011, 01:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by racer53
I recently upgraded my 75MHz radio to a 2.4GHz[Airtronics MX-3X] radio and am wondering If I need to have the antenna out of the body...I race 2wd buggy and the buggy would be,maybe, 80 feet away at all times...I ask because I see all the other buggy racers doing this, but wanted to make sure it wouldn't cause a significant difference in the radio range...Don't want to lose radio frequency in the middle of the main...

Thanks, Racer53
I have the same radio and I have about 3 inches of antenna tube sticking out of my buggy and havent ever had any problems. My receiver is double side taped to my receiver box with the antenna wire gently looped in the box, just make sure to check the receiver every once in a while to make sure it doesnt come loose. I've ran my buggy 2 blocks down the street and never any interference. I would think that you wouldn't have any problems keeping the antenna inside the body.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ideally, if you mount your antenna vertically, you want to run your transmitter antenna vertically as well. By this I mean that it is perpendicular to the ground when you hold the transmitter naturally and comfortably. The idea is to maximize the surface area of the rx antenna exposed to the transmission. When both antennae are parallel you have maximum exposure. If they are perpendicular to each other, you have the least amount of antenna exposed to signal input. This is why Spektrum uses satellite rx's in their Air systems so you can mount the two small rx's perpendicular to each other and double the chances of a quality signal.

So, it's not the amount exposed outside the car, but the amount parallel to the transmitter antenna. Best thing to do is a signal strength test. Have someone walk with the car to the furthest point on the course and check the work the radio and have your verify function. On spektrum radios, the air transmitters anyway, you press the button on the back to do this. I'm not sure if the surface transmitters do this, as I run Futaba.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:07 PM
jph
Tech Apprentice

It's a r/c car, it's supposta have a big antenna stickin up from it!
Old 06-05-2011, 01:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by jph
It's a r/c car, it's supposta have a big antenna stickin up from it!
With a flag on top. You know, like dune buggy's.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Tech Addict

Old Tamiya Frogs had two of em! those were the days, huh?
Old 06-05-2011, 03:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

just dont cut the tup or bend/kink the clear/white part at the end and you will be fine, you dont to run it up the tube unless you are going to have the buggy very far from the radio
Old 06-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I also have an MX 3X and have the receiver shoved in a box with the antennae all coiled up inside the box and I have not had any problems.
I've probably gone 100m (maybe a little more) trying to do range tests and it has a solid link the whole time.
Dont really have much use (and it gets hard to see) over 100m.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:58 AM
Tech Initiate

cut it
Old 06-12-2011, 07:40 AM
Tech Adept

From a radio-electric standpoint, "all" of the antenna should be in a straight line. As explained above, if it's orientation is the same as the transmitters, all the better.
And no. You shouldn't cut the antenna. Ever. It still works, but it's a lot better to coil it up somewhere, then to cut it of.
B!
Old 06-12-2011, 07:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer53

Thanks, Racer53
no need to put out side body. in my slash my antenna stays under the waterpoof receiver box and i have no porblems at all.

if other racers are putting the antenna out side the body then something is wrong.