R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 05-19-2011, 07:45 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Thunder dual power AC680

Ok still getting my feet wet. So i purchased this new charger (Thunder dual power AC680). I had a starter box givin to me with two 2200 nihm battery sticks 7.2v. i charged them on auto and they didnt seem to have the power to turn the motors. I think they might be the 550 motors, box looks old. So i set charger to cycle from disch/chg and only one battery cycled, the other has been discharging at .1A for 3 hours and still is in 7v range. Pls help do i just need to convert to lipo, start with a new box and batteries, or am i setting up charger wrong. Operating instruction are pretty vague, like i said im a newbie just gettin started. Any help is apprieciated.
racingdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:50 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

discharging at .1A will take forever. That charger should be capable of 2a discharge rate, so you probably need to tweak the settings a bit.
nashvillecactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:27 AM   #3
Tech Initiate

buy ya a cheap lipo 14.8 3000map for hobby king for like $20-30 works great in a box...just fyi
Old 05-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingdirty View Post
Ok still getting my feet wet. So i purchased this new charger (Thunder dual power AC680). I had a starter box givin to me with two 2200 nihm battery sticks 7.2v. i charged them on auto and they didnt seem to have the power to turn the motors. I think they might be the 550 motors, box looks old. So i set charger to cycle from disch/chg and only one battery cycled, the other has been discharging at .1A for 3 hours and still is in 7v range. Pls help do i just need to convert to lipo, start with a new box and batteries, or am i setting up charger wrong. Operating instruction are pretty vague, like i said im a newbie just gettin started. Any help is apprieciated.
2200mah NiMH packs can be charged at 4Amps, bump up your current rate and take a look at the capacity reading after the fast charge to ensure you're getting full 2200mah charge. Keep in mind, 2200mah is on the low side, should bump up the mah.
superspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:58 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

thanks for the help, why wont one battery disharge down to zero voltage, is it shot
racingdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:17 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

Default help please lipo upgrade look up parts pleas to refer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvillecactus View Post
discharging at .1A will take forever. That charger should be capable of 2a discharge rate, so you probably need to tweak the settings a bit.
have losi t ten with part losb9818 a 7.4 1000mah lipo. I hear a great upgrade is thunder pro 7.4 1350 mah battery part numbertp1350-2sjpl2 heres the info I need. I have a dynamite passport 6s charger what connections will I need to hook up battery to charger need 1 for balance port and i for charge port also guess I will need new connecter for the car thanks
poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:42 AM   #7
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Part of your prob is using auto for charging old NiMh packs - that mode usually only works well on new packs. Set it up on manual and try charging at 2.2amps, with peak sensitivity at 5mv/c. Watch how hot the pack gets when charging, it shouldn't get so hot that you can't hold it - if it does, stop the charge and lower the charge rate. If pack is only getting a little warm, you can prob raise the charge rate.

The deal with discharging is the charger's discharge wattage limit. The AC680 is only rated for 10watts of discharge, so at 7v, the current is limited to 10watts/7v = 1.4amps. You may have specified too high of a discharge current initially (higher than teh voltage and disch limit would allow) and it defaulted to 0.1amps, but I don't know that for sure - just guessing since I can't find the manual to see what it says.
Duster_360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:40 AM   #8
Tech Adept

I don't think you can pick a current discharge value outside the limits of the charger. So if it's 1.0 A max that's the highest it will go.

I bet it was defaulted to 0.1A out of the box.
Sal Bandini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:57 PM   #9
Tech Lord

AC680 is listed as having a 2amp max discharge current - but that is only within the 10watts of allowed discharge power. Discharge current will be limited to stay under that discharge power limit just like charge current is limited to stay under its power output limit.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:51 AM   #10
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster_360 View Post
AC680 is listed as having a 2amp max discharge current - but that is only within the 10watts of allowed discharge power. Discharge current will be limited to stay under that discharge power limit just like charge current is limited to stay under its power output limit.
I see what you meant now.

On my AC6 if I put 5A as limit for charging and hook up a 3S pack, it will only scale back the current to what it can provide, but not go to minimum. I wonder if the same is true with discharge.

For it to be at 0.1, I'm still going with that's how it was setup out of the box.

It would interesting to see if OP would like to try that and let us know.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:49 PM   #11
Tech Lord

This should be posted in the manual, but I haven't been able to find a copy. You might be right and they have disch current defaulted to 0.1amps.

Its is no diff than limiting charging current. They do this to keep the heat down since most chargers are not designed to deal with the heat from a high amp discharges. This all got started with storage mode - 1st chargers would store only from one direction - lipo had to be at lower voltage so charger would charge it to storage voltage.

That was improved such that the charger now would do what was needed to get the lipo to storage voltage - either charging or discharging. Since they didn't add big heat sinks and upgrade internals to stand higher temps, they went with a discharge watts limit scheme to control temps. If you're storing from near full voltage, these type chargers can take days to get the voltage down at 0.1amp.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:11 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster_360 View Post
This should be posted in the manual, but I haven't been able to find a copy. You might be right and they have disch current defaulted to 0.1amps.

Its is no diff than limiting charging current. They do this to keep the heat down since most chargers are not designed to deal with the heat from a high amp discharges. This all got started with storage mode - 1st chargers would store only from one direction - lipo had to be at lower voltage so charger would charge it to storage voltage.

That was improved such that the charger now would do what was needed to get the lipo to storage voltage - either charging or discharging. Since they didn't add big heat sinks and upgrade internals to stand higher temps, they went with a discharge watts limit scheme to control temps. If you're storing from near full voltage, these type chargers can take days to get the voltage down at 0.1amp.
I have 3 friends who have AC680. I can have them try to max discharge and see what happens.

Anyone use power resistors to discharge a pack? Strictly inder direct supervision, of course.
Sponsored Links