Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Thoughts on upcoming Spektrum DX3C radio? >

Thoughts on upcoming Spektrum DX3C radio?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts on upcoming Spektrum DX3C radio?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 09:20 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Thoughts on upcoming Spektrum DX3C radio?

This looks like a great unit for $130 (including a receiver). 3 channels, DSM2 (though i believe the included receiver is NOT DSM2?), programable LCD, SD card slot for firmware updates, 20 model memory, etc.

I have an RTR Blitz so I would be upgrading from my stock AM radio. Aside from telemetry, are their any other critical features missing from this radio, compared to say a DX3S? I think one feature missing is "throttle punch" but I don't really know how important that is for me. I think as long as I can do expo, EPA, trims, etc, I should be in good shape.

I plan to stick with my Blitz for a while - maybe go brushless in the future. Maybe a 4X4 brushless 1/10 short course in the distant future. No plans to go Nitro in the future. My time will be split between bashing around with friends in the field and maybe trying to do a few races at the local track.

Let me know if you think this would be a fine radio for my needs or if I may be missing out on some important features.

Thanks!

Jason
Old 04-26-2011, 10:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Edit - see post below

Last edited by GaRsNoW; 04-26-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I'm no expert, but I was in the same boat as you about a month ago before I purchased a dx3s. For one, if you plan on getting another car in the future the dx3s comes with another receiver, the 3c does not, a new receiver will run around $50, so your invested $180 into your 3c remote. What sold me was the larger lcd screen, and telemetry that the dx3s offers. Granted, I dont use the rpm sensor, the temp sensor has came in handy a few times while trying different gearing options on brushless motors. If your thinking of upgrading to brushless, keeping an eye on temperature is a must when experimenting.

If $50-60 bucks more isnt going to break the bank go for the 3s. If your watching your budget, the 3c isnt going to make you any slower.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

the c looks like it'll be a great radio for the money. Dsm2 compatible, but at the dsm1 framerate (response time) which is still plenty fast for your purposes. The SD feature could be nice if they have worthwhile updates. The telemetry of the S's is nice if you use it, but few people I know with them actually do.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the info guys.

Also, thanks to the mods for moving this post to the Radios forums. Didn't realize until after I posted that it was in the Electric Offroad forum.

Jason