Wiki Posts
Search

Help with Thunder AC6 and NiMH hump pack

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 05:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Help with Thunder AC6 and NiMH hump pack

Hey guys - I bought a Thunder AC6 to use to charge my 1600 mAh Reedy hump pack, but the instructions included with the charger are pretty sparse when it comes to anything other than LiPo charging.

I set the charger to NiMH AUTO mode with a max charge current of .5A (the paper included with the hump pack indicated a .5A max) and started the charge session. After 2 hours, the charger automatically shut off (I didn't reset the default max time of 120 minutes) at somewhere around 900 mA on the display. I started the charger again and expected it to complete within another 90 minutes or so. I ended up shutting it down when the battery started getting warm, but I'm wondering if I was being too cautious. If I had let it run, would the peak detection have caught it and shut down properly?

Does anyone have experience with this charger and this (or similar) hump pack? Am I better off setting the charger to MANUAL and just relying on the peak detection?

Help would really be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:07 AM
Tech Regular

I charge my 1600 nimh at 1.6a on my Pirahna charger with no issues. They get warm when charging anyway. You may be able to find more detailed instructions on the net as many owners as there are of that charger.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:54 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks - there's definitely a lot of information on the internet about this charger, but most of the detailed information has to do with charging LiPo batteries. Unfortunately, this doesn't help me much with the NiMH hump pack.

Question: what was the maximum charge rating for your hump pack? As I indicated above, the Reedy 1600 mAh pack says to use a maximum charge current of .5A. Am I correct in my assumption that .5A charge rate should take 3 hrs (plus change) to charge a 1600 mAh battery, or am I off-base?

Thanks again.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:37 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 7kings
Thanks - there's definitely a lot of information on the internet about this charger, but most of the detailed information has to do with charging LiPo batteries. Unfortunately, this doesn't help me much with the NiMH hump pack.

Question: what was the maximum charge rating for your hump pack? As I indicated above, the Reedy 1600 mAh pack says to use a maximum charge current of .5A. Am I correct in my assumption that .5A charge rate should take 3 hrs (plus change) to charge a 1600 mAh battery, or am I off-base?

Thanks again.
alot will charge at 1C. which for e.g is: 1600mAh = 1.6 Amps, 1000mAh = 1 Amp.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:15 PM
Tech Regular

I don't know why a hump pack would be any different. Someone else would have to explain that one to me.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:38 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Redlinez
I don't know why a hump pack would be any different. Someone else would have to explain that one to me.
It's more the fact that it's NiMH than the fact that it's a hump pack. I specified the type and configuration of the pack so everyone would know what I was asking. I would imagine a sub-C based 1600 mAh battery pack would require different charging needs than those smaller ones found in the Reedy hump pack.

-Brian
Old 04-23-2011, 06:45 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The smaller 2/3a cells and rechargeable AAs can't take the heat from charging like a sub-c cell can. I don't charge rcvr packs at more that 1amp and usually at 0.5amps. You'll get better life at 0.5amps and high charge rates for these cells based on 1C will cook the life out of them and you'll be lucky to get a seasons use.

I don't like using auto for NiMh, but its not too bad with new cells. Sounds like you did fine - charger did fine. You may want to try manual next time, the manual is a little hard to understand - writer's native language is not English, and it takes knowing a little about what you're doing to see what they're telling you. I'd try manual NiMh, 0.5 or 1.0amp, use their lowest peak setting which I believe is 5mv/cell and reset the safety time to 180min and let it peak. Watch temps - it shouldn't get to more than 120F, if it does, stop charge,let it cool and re-try at a higher peak setting like 7mv/c. NiMh peaks around 120F, so it will get warm, but not so warm you can't hold it. I use an IR gun to monitor temps as mine charge.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:00 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Duster_360
The smaller 2/3a cells and rechargeable AAs can't take the heat from charging like a sub-c cell can. I don't charge rcvr packs at more that 1amp and usually at 0.5amps. You'll get better life at 0.5amps and high charge rates for these cells based on 1C will cook the life out of them and you'll be lucky to get a seasons use.

I don't like using auto for NiMh, but its not too bad with new cells. Sounds like you did fine - charger did fine. You may want to try manual next time, the manual is a little hard to understand - writer's native language is not English, and it takes knowing a little about what you're doing to see what they're telling you. I'd try manual NiMh, 0.5 or 1.0amp, use their lowest peak setting which I believe is 5mv/cell and reset the safety time to 180min and let it peak. Watch temps - it shouldn't get to more than 120F, if it does, stop charge,let it cool and re-try at a higher peak setting like 7mv/c. NiMh peaks around 120F, so it will get warm, but not so warm you can't hold it. I use an IR gun to monitor temps as mine charge.
Perfect - thanks very much for helping to clear this up! I've spent quite a bit of time trying to make sure I was doing it right - didn't want to destroy a brand new battery (or anything else for that matter).
Old 04-24-2011, 12:18 PM
Tech Regular

So I shouldn't be charging at 1.2 and 1.6A for my 1200/1600mah nimh 2/3a packs? I'll adjust to 1.0 if that's what I should be doing. Thanks as they do get hot. That just means I'll be waiting even longer for charges, bummer....
Old 04-24-2011, 12:38 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Choice is yours - charge at 1C and enjoy the shorter charge time and shorter service life. Charge at a max of 1amp, they'll take longer to charger, but they'll last longer as well.

I charge mine at 0.5amp unless I'm in a hurry, then it will be 1amp. You can charge them at 0.5amp as soon as they need charging, then do a top off charge right before you need them. The top off charge won't take long since the mah will be small.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:15 AM
Tech Regular

I assume 1C is referring to lipos? Mine still got pretty hot on 1.0a charge rate I wish my Piranha charger would show how many mah the battery had to begin with instead of just showing how many it charged the battery up to.
The Thunder AC6 charger is no longer at Hobbypartz.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:01 PM
Tech Adept

I assume 1C is referring to lipos? Mine still got pretty hot on 1.0a charge rate I wish my Piranha charger would show how many mah the battery had to begin with instead of just showing how many it charged the battery up to.
That's crazy - I just received mine on Friday! Wonder if they're just out of stock, or if they've stopped carrying it altogether. I see they still have other Thunder chargers, so maybe the AC6 was discontinued...
Old 04-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Tech Adept

I thought you were shittin' me but I can't find it either.

Just get this one instead. Great charger, my friend just got one:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/73p-ac680-accharger.html
Old 04-28-2011, 12:54 AM
Tech Regular

AC-6 shows in stock here http://www.nitrorcx.com. I think they are part of Hobby Partz, I ordered one a few months ago and got it in 5 days. I think about 45$.