R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 04-21-2011, 09:57 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default Hobbywing xerun 150a problem

I just got a hobbywing xerun 150a esc and pluged it in with my sp v10 550 4.5. When it was all installed I went to throttle it up and holding it off the ground it would stutter about 3 times like a big stutter, then all of a sudden go. I tried with 2 different motors and the same thing. When the motor was out by it self not in the truck it spun up really nice with no jitters. WHen the stutters were happaning it was shutting off the rx the same time the stutters were hapaning. Im thinking I just got a bad esc as the vxl I had in there with the same motor worked perfect. Any thoughts ?
Blitzrockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:19 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

It could very well be a bad ESC, but most often problems like this can be traced to something simple that may go unnoticed. I would make sure to check the connections and solder joints very closely, as well as try going thru calibration a few times with different settings to see if anything makes an improvement. If the receiver is also cutting out when it happens I suspect there is a problem with the BEC, but high or low voltage, high current servos, and other factors can affect the BEC. It may also be worth trying to change the firmware and see if it acts any better.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnineyes View Post
It could very well be a bad ESC, but most often problems like this can be traced to something simple that may go unnoticed. I would make sure to check the connections and solder joints very closely, as well as try going thru calibration a few times with different settings to see if anything makes an improvement. If the receiver is also cutting out when it happens I suspect there is a problem with the BEC, but high or low voltage, high current servos, and other factors can affect the BEC. It may also be worth trying to change the firmware and see if it acts any better.
Thanks hey ..Ya I changed settings and tried it a few different times, as well as well as different firmware and still the same thing. Im suspecting a bad esc from the box. All conections were solid as well. SOmething was probably fryed inside of it when I got it, as it smelled burt as well lol. Ya if you ease into the throttle is spins up nice but when you jab it or go from a stop or ease into it it stutters like crazy and shuts everything down off and on.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
Tech Initiate

what kind of battery connectors are you running?
Janke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janke View Post
what kind of battery connectors are you running?
Using traxxas connectors,connection was good.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:55 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Not that it will really help you in any way, but all of my Hobbywing controllers have smelled fried out of the box. Xeruns and Ezruns both; I think it may just be some kind of smelly electronics coating or something, cause it always goes away after a few runs. I have also seen several brushless motors of various brands that have a similar type smell when they are new.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:38 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Ya its weird Im not sure what it is, kinda sucks though
Old 04-22-2011, 07:09 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Figured it out the esc doesnt like some sensorless motors, but the sp I had is sensored and didnt have the sensore wire in , pluged it in and worked perfect. Sold the esc today though, going to get one that works better with my tenshock sensorless motor.