Wiki Posts
Search

Old Radio 3PJS Revived

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 06:58 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Old Radio 3PJS Revived

After much consideration and days spent daydreaming at work about what to do about the radio I have, here is what I did. I have had this old girl for a few years and have grown attached to it. I was contemplating selling it and getting a new radio but buying three or four new receivers was a bit out of the budget along with the cost of a new transmitter was going to add up in a hurry.

FM is still very fast and I think if your bashing it works just fine. This has a lot of the features the high end radio's still have. This thing was top of the line a few years ago so I breathed a little life into it. I figure use the FM to bash and 2.4GHz for racing. I got this from Amain hobbies for $147.00 out the door shipped. I ordered it on Thursday the 17th and it came today the 21st. Great service.

They way I look at it I don't know if I could have bought a radio with all of the features for this price. I wasn't sure if it would work I even called Futaba they said they were not sure . So a new FASST system for the old girl and I tested it out and so far so good. It linked right up.
With the price of the new systems creeping over the $400.00 I think this was a good solution for a basher who may race occasionally.
Attached Thumbnails Old Radio 3PJS Revived-3-21-11-001.jpg   Old Radio 3PJS Revived-3-21-11-002.jpg  
Old 03-22-2011, 04:03 PM
Tech Regular

I put a synth module in my son's 3PJS and it worked great. Futaba doesn't really want to tell you that the modules are backward compatible. I have two 3PKS and have used a fixed frequency TX modlue from my circa 1991 3PB radio and it worked fine, the synth and 2.4g modules work in the 3PB also you just don't get the high frame rate and 2048 resolution that HRS mode give you in the 3PKS. The 3PJS will transmit in PPM mode but the receiver will auto detect it.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I have almost that same pair of radios - 3PJS and 3PK. I've been mixing synth, FM and 2.4modules for a while. I don't use the 3PJS as much as I used to, but its still a good solid radio.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:56 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Steve.
I put a synth module in my son's 3PJS and it worked great. Futaba doesn't really want to tell you that the modules are backward compatible. I have two 3PKS and have used a fixed frequency TX modlue from my circa 1991 3PB radio and it worked fine, the synth and 2.4g modules work in the 3PB also you just don't get the high frame rate and 2048 resolution that HRS mode give you in the 3PKS. The 3PJS will transmit in PPM mode but the receiver will auto detect it.
That is good to know I called Futaba and I was a little surprised on how unhelpful they were. I called Hitec and they said there new module should work but they had not tested on that radio. They guy at one online retailer never even heard of the 3PJS I guess I'm showing may age. I was a little reluctant on buying new I just had a custom skin put on and I know what all the buttons do. I wanted to stick with Futaba and learning a whole new radio wasn't high on my list. I have over 10 cars and trucks so popping for even half of the receivers with a new brand was going to break the bank. I think I will try to get a FM module that you dial in the channel number That will eliminate one set of crystals.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Sorry for bumping this old thread... I have an old 3PJS that I am converting to 2.4GHz.

Did you just use the standard Futaba 2.4GHz module for the "3PK"?

Is this what I want to use? A-main-Hobbie: Futaba-3PK-24Ghz-FASST-Transmitter-Module-w-R603FS-Receiver

Is the Futaba Fasst system generally considered to be higher end than the cheaper 2.4GHz conversions(like the Hitec Spectra 2.4GHz DSSS)?
Old 08-01-2011, 06:13 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JamesL_71
Sorry for bumping this old thread... I have an old 3PJS that I am converting to 2.4GHz.

Did you just use the standard Futaba 2.4GHz module for the "3PK"?

Is this what I want to use? A-main-Hobbie: Futaba-3PK-24Ghz-FASST-Transmitter-Module-w-R603FS-Receiver

Is the Futaba Fasst system generally considered to be higher end than the cheaper 2.4GHz conversions(like the Hitec Spectra 2.4GHz DSSS)?
It will work, you just have to set "PPM" for each model memory in the 3PJ's menu. The 603FS RX will detect PPM mode when it receives the TX signal. In theory you should be able to use analog servos but I can't confirm due to having all digital servos at this point in time.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Steve.
It will work, you just have to set "PPM" for each model memory in the 3PJ's menu. The 603FS RX will detect PPM mode when it receives the TX signal. In theory you should be able to use analog servos but I can't confirm due to having all digital servos at this point in time.
Thanks.

No worries, all my servos are digital as well.

Any comments re: the Hitec Spectra or less expensive tx module/rx conversions?