R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 03-21-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Novak 22 17.5 vs Tekin 17.5

I need to get a motor ESC combo to run in the stock class SCT so I'm looking at these two setups. I know the Tekin is a lot more but I want to get some opinions of it from those who have used these combos. Is the tekin worth the extra $$$? Any suggestions?
SC10Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC10Jon View Post
I need to get a motor ESC combo to run in the stock class SCT so I'm looking at these two setups. I know the Tekin is a lot more but I want to get some opinions of it from those who have used these combos. Is the tekin worth the extra $$$? Any suggestions?
Not sure what you are asking about....

We have combos for both 2WD SCTs and 4x4 SCTs (including Traxxas Plug 'n Play versions); we have designed a separate section in our store to list these products. Any questions, you can always PM me or assistance.
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
Not sure what you are asking about....

We have combos for both 2WD SCTs and 4x4 SCTs (including Traxxas Plug 'n Play versions); we have designed a separate section in our store to list these products. Any questions, you can always PM me or assistance.
Thanks but I know where I can buy them. I want to know from people who have used them and get some feedback on whether the Tekin is worth the extra money.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It really depends on what the rules are where you want to race, & on how much adjusting you are willing to do. IF it's allowed where you are(some tracks do not allow this), then the Tekin's adjustable timing advance & turbo functions give it enormous tuning flexibility(you can make a 17.5 motor with timing advance as fast as a 13.5 without the boost), & you can use it to fine tune it for your track & traction conditions. But, to do that you do need Tekin's Hotwire interface device & a PC of some kind(either a desktop at home or a laptop at the track, or if you know someone at the track who has one handy that'll work). But a number of tracks now are banning timing boost, so at those places the Tekin's adjustments wouldn't do you any good, & in that case Novak's ESC's would be fine(& yes, I know the Kinetic also has timing adjustments, but I get the feeling that SC10Jon here isn't looking at those, more likely the GTB2 or Havok combos would be my guess based on his comment about price). So, in summary, if you are allowed the timing boost & have access to a Hotwire device & a PC, then I'd get the Tekin, but if not & you want to save some money, then the Novak should work just as well....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:56 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

You are correct I will not be adjusting the timing very frequently if ever I just want a good motor/esc combo and I have heard some people having problems with the Novaks.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:38 PM   #6
Tech Adept

They are both very simular, a buddy of mine is running the tekin stuff, I run the Novak. I think the Ballistic is a better motor myself, cause that's what I run. Tekin guys will tell you otherwise. The Balllistic motor has the adjustable timing on the motor itself...three screw's, that's it. Its not the same as a boosted ESC, but its noticable for sure. And the customer service Ive had with Novak, I wont run anything else. Ive been running the havok for the entire indoor season, and two outdoor races. The kinetic is sitting on my bench waiting for installation. I'll update on the difference.
hnasdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:52 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

I have had them both. Depends what you want. Lots of tweaking and adjustments and fine tuning, go with Tekin. Plug and play and don't worry about it plus the best customer service I have ever received, go with Novak. They are both plenty competitive for what you need.
goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:36 AM   #8
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Novak-rolling fire hazard...