Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Will a LRP Automatic Pro Reverse esc run a sensorless motor? >

Will a LRP Automatic Pro Reverse esc run a sensorless motor?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will a LRP Automatic Pro Reverse esc run a sensorless motor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Will a LRP Automatic Pro Reverse esc run a sensorless motor?

I bought a used LRP Pro Reverse Automatic esc and used sensored Novak motor combination. They work well together. I want to run an unsensored 3800kv Castle motor with this esc for awhile and I can't get it to work. I don't have the manual and can't find it on the "interwebs". The AE site says that this esc will run brushed and brushless motors "and is a sensored design". Does that mean this model will run only brushed and sensored brushlesd motors and not sensorless?

If it will run a sensorless motor,what is the "Automatic" set up procedure? Pull the throttle trigger and hold ?
Old 03-05-2011, 01:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If this is your ESC, then the manual is at the bottom right of the page.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:47 PM
Tech Master

Thanks, that is it. You are a better web surfer than I am. I will look download and print it shortly. Thanks again.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:19 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I think most LRPs are sensored only so it probably wont work but I could be wrong.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Company Representative

Sensored (only) escs must be run with sensored motors; the esc must locate the motor sensors in order to operate. The esc and motor communicate thru the sensor harness.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Tech Master

I spent some time looking through the manual and I believe it is for sensored only. It doesn't specifically say this, but it does mention in one spot that for brushless motors "be sure the hall sensor is connected". That sentence, plus your helpful comments above, plus the practical reality that I can't get it to work, has convinced me that it is a sensored only esc. I'll survive. I got it cheap enough and the seller never represented to me as anything other than the combo I bought, LRP esc and Novak 10.5, which does run nicely together in this SCT. I have a Castle Sidewinder SCT esc in another vehicle that I will swap out if I want to run this motor. The Castle 3800kv motor has great torque.