R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-20-2012, 04:05 AM   #46
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 80
Default

Hi guys
What is a good fdr start point for 17.5 boosted TC?
I have the Plutonium 17.5 motor on a GT2 ESC
Thanks
Mornedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #47
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 814
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mornedn View Post
Hi guys
What is a good fdr start point for 17.5 boosted TC?
I have the Plutonium 17.5 motor on a GT2 ESC
Thanks
Not much data on 17.5 boosted as most classes now are non-boosted. In non-boosted we run between 4.0 & 3.6 with the motor timing at full advance. That is also with a Tekin.

I would start at 4.5 with 0 degree timing. Watch the motor temp and lap times and then go up and down one tooth at a time until you get the best lap times and ensuring that the motor does not go over 175 degrees. Once you find the best gearing, then try increasing the timing a little at a time watching the lap times and temps. These motors will take a lot of heat but continued high temps will soften the rotors.
__________________
Rocket RC Speed Shop - USA Importer of Team Powers products
rocketrcss@yahoo.com
http://rocketrcspeedshop.webstorepowered.com/
Crashby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #48
Tech Master
 
locked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,758
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mornedn View Post
Hi guys
What is a good fdr start point for 17.5 boosted TC?
I have the Plutonium 17.5 motor on a GT2 ESC
Thanks
I don't have one of these motors, but I've raced a lot of 17.5 boosted with many different motors. I'm typically around 6.5 FDR for boosted 17.5. Lowest I've ever ran was 5.8. I know a few guys who use an FDR around 7.0.

Ideal FDR depends on the size of the track and the flow, but all the motors I've used seem to like a similar FDR. No major variations, so I feel fairly confident saying that you should try around 6.5 to start with.

I wouldn't have commented, but with someone suggesting 4.5 FDR to start with, I felt compelled to respond. That's just miles off from any 17.5 boosted setup I've ever heard of.
__________________
Dave Locke
Team PerformanceHobbies.ca | ORCA RC | Bodies by Brandon | Team Meeting
XRAY T4'15 x2 | XRAY XB4 | XRAY XB8E | XRAY XB8
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #49
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
I don't have one of these motors, but I've raced a lot of 17.5 boosted with many different motors. I'm typically around 6.5 FDR for boosted 17.5. Lowest I've ever ran was 5.8. I know a few guys who use an FDR around 7.0.

Ideal FDR depends on the size of the track and the flow, but all the motors I've used seem to like a similar FDR. No major variations, so I feel fairly confident saying that you should try around 6.5 to start with.

I wouldn't have commented, but with someone suggesting 4.5 FDR to start with, I felt compelled to respond. That's just miles off from any 17.5 boosted setup I've ever heard of.
Correct, I run my last motors between 6.2 and 6.8, depending on the track size
Mornedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:09 AM   #50
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hagerstown, MD
Posts: 1,699
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mornedn View Post
Correct, I run my last motors between 6.2 and 6.8, depending on the track size
This area works well on this motor as well. I tried boost one time with the motor, 6 minute run with a 6.4 fdr on a 100ft. track. It was very fast and ran cool as well, around 130*F timing with "0" in the little window which is actually 12* with the V2 sensor board in it.
__________________
★Randy Banks★
COLD AS ICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #51
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLD AS ICE View Post
This area works well on this motor as well. I tried boost one time with the motor, 6 minute run with a 6.4 fdr on a 100ft. track. It was very fast and ran cool as well, around 130*F timing with "0" in the little window which is actually 12* with the V2 sensor board in it.
Thanks for the info. Do you know how much onboard timing the motor has? If 0 is 12* how much extra is easy notch on the endbell?
Mornedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #52
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hagerstown, MD
Posts: 1,699
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mornedn View Post
Thanks for the info. Do you know how much onboard timing the motor has? If 0 is 12* how much extra is easy notch on the endbell?
Each notch is worth 12* the total amount you can run depends on when the motor was bought. If it was pre v2 board then it can max 48* of timing. The v2 boards allows for 60* total timing in the motor.
__________________
★Randy Banks★
COLD AS ICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #53
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Garner, NC
Posts: 395
Default

anyone tried the 17.5 in blinky 1/12? curious to how it compares to a revtech.
avink007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #54
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 352
Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default

I'm new to brushless and I was wondering if this motor has a spare sensorboard to replace.
fung_kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:02 PM   #55
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hagerstown, MD
Posts: 1,699
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fung_kyle View Post
I'm new to brushless and I was wondering if this motor has a spare sensorboard to replace.
They do make spare sensor boards for these motors. Two different ones, the version one and version two. V2 is what comes in the newer motors.
__________________
★Randy Banks★
COLD AS ICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #56
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 352
Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default

Also how do these compare with trinity d3 or te in red line motors?

Thanks
fung_kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:19 PM   #57
Dan
Tech Elite
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 4,290
Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Default

Better than the Tekin Redline motor for sure. Slightly more power, and running cooler too. I then installed a fan and my temps dropped even more.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #58
Tech Adept
 
jpk4ud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 220
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I would like to get a 21.5T motor for USGT. Where can I get one in the US?
__________________
Losi SCTE
Losi 22SCT
Slash 2wd
TC5 set up for USGT
The Hobby Shop in Dayton, Ohio
jpk4ud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:13 PM   #59
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 331
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Hi guys,

Currently using the Plutonium motors in both my onroad TC and offroad 4WD and loving it. I have a 7.5 in my 4WD and running the endbell timing at 0. Would like to know if I can get more torque and lower the temp if I reduce the endbell timing to -1 or -2? Or what would be the effect of reducing motor endbell timing?
kamenkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:56 AM   #60
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hagerstown, MD
Posts: 1,699
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk4ud View Post
I would like to get a 21.5T motor for USGT. Where can I get one in the US?
Here's a direct link.


http://rocketrcspeedshop.webstorepow...&searchSize=12



Quote:
Originally Posted by kamenkoh View Post
Hi guys,

Currently using the Plutonium motors in both my onroad TC and offroad 4WD and loving it. I have a 7.5 in my 4WD and running the endbell timing at 0. Would like to know if I can get more torque and lower the temp if I reduce the endbell timing to -1 or -2? Or what would be the effect of reducing motor endbell timing?

That would bring your temps down significantly. These motor run comfortable around 140-150 average. Setting the timing to -1 will actually be "absolute zero" where the motor is set now you have 12 degrees of motor timing. Reducing the timing will make it feel softer coming out of the turns and will not have quite the top end that it has now.
__________________
★Randy Banks★
COLD AS ICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
R.A.B. Hobbies venom54 Australian Racing 423 12-18-2016 03:30 PM
Racecraft News Kylelim Singapore R/C Racers 145 02-11-2014 07:53 PM
NEW Bruhsless Motors from TEAM POWERS schmutz Electric On-Road 15 02-05-2011 03:31 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:55 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net