R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-28-2014, 06:55 PM   #331
Tech Elite
 
DesertRat's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sniffin the 'Sauce Fumes
Posts: 2,552
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Well, I geared the motor down, timed it to the 4, and will give it a shot on Saturday. TQRC isn't a big track, maybe running a 17.5 at under 90mm of rollout is a good strategy.
__________________
I race toy cars for fun. If I need to explain, you'll never understand.
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:12 PM   #332
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Floresville, TX
Posts: 810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advil View Post
The 17.5, 13.5 and all of the Mod motors are ROAR legal. Only the 21.5 was submitted late. We should have approval soon....

Art
I've been playing with the Team Powers (TPS) 21.5 motor and really like it. Only suggestion I have would be to put a temperature sensor in the motor so that ESC telemetry would record the motor temps. The TPS 21.5looks very much like the R1 motor on my Fantom dyno (very high RPM) except the TPS motor had a lower amp draw and accelerates faster. I know what FDR Smoke was using at the Texas EOS race and I think he was over geared. My testing indicates that If he used max timing and geared down, he would have been even faster - hard to believe he could have been even faster than he was.

Great motor, I look forward to racing it next weekend and at the 3rd EOS race in San Antonio.

Last edited by John Wallace2; 08-30-2014 at 09:33 PM.
John Wallace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:43 AM   #333
Tech Master
 
malcnz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: DUNEDIN, NewZealand
Posts: 1,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wallace2 View Post
I've been playing with the Team Powers (TPS) 21.5 motor and really like it. Only suggestion I have would be to put a temperature sensor in the motor so that ESC telemetry would record the motor temps. The TPS 21.5looks very much like the R1 motor on my Fantom dyno (very high RPM) except the TPS motor had a lower amp draw and accelerates faster. I know what FDR Smoke was using at the Texas EOS race and I think he was over geared. My testing indicates that If he used max timing and geared down, he would have been even faster - hard to believe he could have been even faster than he was.

Great motor, I look forward to racing it next weekend and at the 3rd EOS race in San Antonio.
Hi,
How do you run 21.5 over there..blinky? and what fdr are you guys running etc?as have a race coming up that we need to run blinky so be good to get some set up advice as run TP 21.5 motor but currently boosted.
Thanks.
__________________
SCHUMACHER MI5 EVO/TEAM POWERS/SANWA/DX4R PRO.

SERPENT F110/TEAMPOWERS 21.5.

LOSI 22 2.0/TEAM POWERS 8.5
malcnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:29 AM   #334
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Floresville, TX
Posts: 810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcnz View Post
Hi,
How do you run 21.5 over there..blinky? and what fdr are you guys running etc?as have a race coming up that we need to run blinky so be good to get some set up advice as run TP 21.5 motor but currently boosted.
Thanks.
We run blinky here on a pretty big open and flowing track. Straight was ~150ft with only one tight section at the EOS race. I'm told Smoke was using a 3.7 FDR and we ran a 12 minute main. I haven't had my car on the track with the TPS motor but I think he would have been faster with less gear. Don't know what your track is like so its hard to recommend a good FDR, but if you are running boosted, I'd add 2 or 3 teeth from that FDR. When VTA ran 21.5 motors I seem to recall the non boosted FDR at our medium sized indoor track was around 4.3 and with boost 6.5 to 7.0 depending on how brave you were with the boost. That may give you an idea of how much you may have to change your FDR, but in any case I wouldn't go with any less than a 3.7 ratio.
John Wallace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:18 PM   #335
Tech Master
 
malcnz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: DUNEDIN, NewZealand
Posts: 1,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wallace2 View Post
We run blinky here on a pretty big open and flowing track. Straight was ~150ft with only one tight section at the EOS race. I'm told Smoke was using a 3.7 FDR and we ran a 12 minute main. I haven't had my car on the track with the TPS motor but I think he would have been faster with less gear. Don't know what your track is like so its hard to recommend a good FDR, but if you are running boosted, I'd add 2 or 3 teeth from that FDR. When VTA ran 21.5 motors I seem to recall the non boosted FDR at our medium sized indoor track was around 4.3 and with boost 6.5 to 7.0 depending on how brave you were with the boost. That may give you an idea of how much you may have to change your FDR, but in any case I wouldn't go with any less than a 3.7 ratio.
cheers for that..we have medium size track with a medium long straight and yeah have been told about 3.5 fdr for blinky so what you are saying sounds very close.Boosted I run 4.45 fdr and motor getting prity warm at that..90C
__________________
SCHUMACHER MI5 EVO/TEAM POWERS/SANWA/DX4R PRO.

SERPENT F110/TEAMPOWERS 21.5.

LOSI 22 2.0/TEAM POWERS 8.5
malcnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:16 PM   #336
Tech Master
 
b20btec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sugar Land
Posts: 1,028
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

..............
__________________
Soap



REFLEXRACING.NET * TEXASEOS.NET * YOKOMO

Last edited by b20btec; 09-02-2014 at 07:37 AM.
b20btec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:37 AM   #337
Tech Master
 
b20btec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sugar Land
Posts: 1,028
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wallace2 View Post
We run blinky here on a pretty big open and flowing track. Straight was ~150ft with only one tight section at the EOS race. I'm told Smoke was using a 3.7 FDR and we ran a 12 minute main. I haven't had my car on the track with the TPS motor but I think he would have been faster with less gear. Don't know what your track is like so its hard to recommend a good FDR, but if you are running boosted, I'd add 2 or 3 teeth from that FDR. When VTA ran 21.5 motors I seem to recall the non boosted FDR at our medium sized indoor track was around 4.3 and with boost 6.5 to 7.0 depending on how brave you were with the boost. That may give you an idea of how much you may have to change your FDR, but in any case I wouldn't go with any less than a 3.7 ratio.
Who's smoke? Frankie runs a TP motor?
__________________
Soap



REFLEXRACING.NET * TEXASEOS.NET * YOKOMO
b20btec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:19 AM   #338
Tech Elite
 
JayL's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ca
Posts: 2,831
Default

John:since you are in this thread you are not talking about the new Actinium motors I assume....
__________________
MOD: A800 R1 Digital-2 HW G2 4.5T|||VTA: A700 Orca VX3 R1 25.5V16 |||F1:
Roche 2016 R1 Digital-2 R1 21.5V16|||Sanwa M12S|||iCharger 406Duo
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:02 PM   #339
Tech Master
 
b20btec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sugar Land
Posts: 1,028
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post
John:since you are in this thread you are not talking about the new Actinium motors I assume....
He's talking about the actinium.
__________________
Soap



REFLEXRACING.NET * TEXASEOS.NET * YOKOMO
b20btec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:16 AM   #340
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Floresville, TX
Posts: 810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by b20btec View Post
Who's smoke? Frankie runs a TP motor?
Actually I meant to say Soap not Smoke - my bad! Frankie has been running the ORCA motor, but he has a new motor for EOS too.
John Wallace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:19 AM   #341
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Floresville, TX
Posts: 810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post
John:since you are in this thread you are not talking about the new Actinium motors I assume....
yes I am. I know other here are also, are we in the wrong place?
John Wallace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:33 AM   #342
Tech Elite
 
JayL's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ca
Posts: 2,831
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wallace2 View Post
yes I am. I know other here are also, are we in the wrong place?
I was just making sure
__________________
MOD: A800 R1 Digital-2 HW G2 4.5T|||VTA: A700 Orca VX3 R1 25.5V16 |||F1:
Roche 2016 R1 Digital-2 R1 21.5V16|||Sanwa M12S|||iCharger 406Duo
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:10 PM   #343
Tech Elite
 
DesertRat's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sniffin the 'Sauce Fumes
Posts: 2,552
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Is it a fair observation that the Actinium is highest-revving 17.5 I have ever owned? This thing just seems to want to run the sort of rollout you would slap on a typical 13.5.
__________________
I race toy cars for fun. If I need to explain, you'll never understand.
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #344
Tech Fanatic
 
erchn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Union City, CA
Posts: 813
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Is it a fair observation that the Actinium is highest-revving 17.5 I have ever owned? This thing just seems to want to run the sort of rollout you would slap on a typical 13.5.
Possibly, but I've typically seen closer to low 4 rollouts, so not exactly 13.5 numbers.
__________________
Serpent ; Desoto Racing ; Team Powers USA ; Reflex Racing ; Bezerk RC
erchn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:02 PM   #345
Tech Elite
 
JayL's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ca
Posts: 2,831
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erchn View Post
Possibly, but I've typically seen closer to low 4 rollouts, so not exactly 13.5 numbers.
think you mean low 4 FDR, right ?


low 4 rollout would be amazing
__________________
MOD: A800 R1 Digital-2 HW G2 4.5T|||VTA: A700 Orca VX3 R1 25.5V16 |||F1:
Roche 2016 R1 Digital-2 R1 21.5V16|||Sanwa M12S|||iCharger 406Duo
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
R.A.B. Hobbies venom54 Australian Racing 423 12-18-2016 03:30 PM
Racecraft News Kylelim Singapore R/C Racers 145 02-11-2014 07:53 PM
NEW Bruhsless Motors from TEAM POWERS schmutz Electric On-Road 15 02-05-2011 03:31 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:37 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net