Wiki Posts
Search

1 power supply for 2 chargers

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 10:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 1 power supply for 2 chargers

I've been running a TP610c charger on a Victor Engineering 12 amp max 13.8v, 165 watt max, power supply. I'm charging at 10 amps / 2s with no problems.

Would it be possible to power to 2 of those chargers at the same time using this 1 power supply? If so, is there any special way they'd need to be hooked up?

Could I continue to charge at 10 amps for 2s?

What charge rate could I manage at 4s in a 2 charger 1 power supply config?

Thanks for your input.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Easiest way to do it is to get yourself one of these

http://www.rcaccessory.com/12vdcpowerstrip.aspx

If you power supply is 165 watts simply divide the voltage you need into it, less 20% for overheads

165 watts less 20% = 130watts

130 / 16.8 (4s pack) = 7.7 amps or so

Cheers
Old 02-18-2011, 11:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by crusey_aus
Easiest way to do it is to get yourself one of these

http://www.rcaccessory.com/12vdcpowerstrip.aspx

If you power supply is 165 watts simply divide the voltage you need into it, less 20% for overheads

165 watts less 20% = 130watts

130 / 16.8 (4s pack) = 7.7 amps or so

Cheers
So using this power supply, charging a 4s would only leave me 3.3 available amps to charge with on another charger that's attached to the same power supply, since there's only 10 amps to divide. right? Or is the major limiting factor the amount of wattage?

Given what you've said, I suppose I could charge that same 4s at 5 amps and another battery (2s or 4s) on the other charger at 5 amps.

If that's true couldn't I do the same with one charger using some sort of parallel charge lead setup and skip the other charger all together? Which do you suppose is better?
Old 02-18-2011, 11:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You are limited by the power supply and charger wattage

Parallel charging is an option for packs with the same cell count, allthough you are still subject to the same limits

Cheers
Old 02-18-2011, 11:35 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Redbeard
So using this power supply, charging a 4s would only leave me 3.3 available amps to charge with on another charger that's attached to the same power supply, since there's only 10 amps to divide. right? Or is the major limiting factor the amount of wattage?

No, the 7.7 amps on a 4S would be about all you could do. Because of wattage limits.

Given what you've said, I suppose I could charge that same 4s at 5 amps and another battery (2s or 4s) on the other charger at 5 amps.

That's about right, one of each, both at 5 amps. (16.8V x 5A + 8.4V x 5A = 126W)
Or two 2S at the ~7.7 amps at the same time.

If that's true couldn't I do the same with one charger using some sort of parallel charge lead setup and skip the other charger all together? Which do you suppose is better?

Like crusey mentioned, only same cell counts can be parallel charged. Cheaper, but less flexibility.