ESC cuts off when steering servo moves.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ESC cuts off when steering servo moves.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 04:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Default ESC cuts off when steering servo moves.

I just upgraded my ESC to a Castle Mamba Max Pro and my motor to a Trinity D3 10.5 in my SC10. I have a Savox SC1258TG steering servo and when I am driving, the truck runs in a straight line, but when the servo moves I loose all power to the ESC. I am using the stock receiver and transmitter that came with the truck (rtr) and I am wondering what could be causing this and what the fix is. I have tried a plug in BEC and that didn't help. I also put the original servo back in and everything works fine. I am looking at a new transmitter and receiver (MX-3X), but I am a couple of weeks away before I can purchase. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hi,

I had the exact same problem with my MM. I even tried the servo on my tekin ESC and it was fine. I tried the MM with a regular futaba servo and it was fine. I am using the same savox servo.

You will have to install a capacitor plugged into the receiver. I just got a servo wire and soldered a capacitor 10V 500uF or higher and it was fine. The capacitor costs me 2$ a pair at the electronic store and 4$ for the servo wire.

Good luck!

Ryan
Old 02-17-2011, 05:15 PM
Tech Initiate

I tried one of the capacitors that you plug into an open spot on your receiver and still had the same problem. Was going to try one of the $25 castle 10 amp bec's, but didn't want to spend the money if it wasn't going to work.
Thanks for the reply tho.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

your servo is bad. i had this happen lastyear. my ESC would shut down everytime i steered left or right. so after chaging the servo the problem went away.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

From what Ive gathered Castles internal BECs arent that great. I ran a 230oz HT servo with several different ESCs and never an issue. Got a new Sidwinder and every time I tried to steer it cut out. Changed servo's and never an issue again. Ran the HT servo in another truck, no problems. I think you cant use real HT servos with Sidewinders, MMP and MM. I run a JR 9000t with my MMM and never a problem. Only seems to be there 1/10 set ups/ Ive read several forums on this
Old 02-17-2011, 05:36 PM
Tech Adept

let me try to post a video with and without the capacitor.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You said you tried a bec how exactly did you do that ?

You will need to disable the internal bec from the ESC

Get a servo extension wire and remove the red wire between the ESC and RX

If you dont have an external bec handy an RX pack plugged into the reciever will do the same job

You may also need to limit travel (EPA) on your servo channel

Cheers
Old 02-17-2011, 06:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I had the same problem with my RB5, Savox 1257, Spektrum SR3001 Pro RX, Tekin RS and SP 17.5. I added a Spektrum 4700uf cap for $5.00 which solved the problem.

I have several other Savox servos and this was the only one that browned out the RX.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by crusey_aus
You said you tried a bec how exactly did you do that ?

You will need to disable the internal bec from the ESC

Get a servo extension wire and remove the red wire between the ESC and RX

If you dont have an external bec handy an RX pack plugged into the reciever will do the same job

You may also need to limit travel (EPA) on your servo channel

Cheers
We just plugged one in the receiver. I didn't remove the red wire from the ESC plug tho. My stock servo is soooooo slllloooowwww. I need to try that. I am pretty sure they disabled the internal bec, not positive, but pretty sure. When my castle link comes in I will try it again.
Thanks for the info.
edit:
Looking at the Castle Link software in demo mode, I don't see where you can disable the internal bec. Is that what removing the red wire does?
Old 02-17-2011, 06:52 PM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

also make sure your bec is set to 6 volts with the castle link i have the same servo and i put a cap on it and it is fine hope this helps
Old 02-17-2011, 06:52 PM
Tech Master

If you didnt remove the red wire then you did not disable the internal bec

You dont need castle link to sort it out

Cheers
Old 02-17-2011, 08:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

still new to Elctrics. what is BEC
Old 02-17-2011, 08:22 PM
Tech Master

Electric ESC's have a circuit in them called a BEC (Battery Eliminator Circuit)

It provides power to the RX and Servo (usually 6v)

When running a some high current draw Servos the ESC has trouble handling the extra load

When the extra load is applied the voltage drops and can sometimes fail all together (called a brownout)

You can alleviate the issue by doing the following

Add a capacitor (glitch buster) to the RX, this assists in holding up voltage under load and stopping the dropouts

The best way around it is to install an external bec, they cost $25 or so

You disable the ESC's internal bec and wire the external bec straight from your battery to the RX, this means the RX now has a strong voltage source able to cope with the Servo load

They are simple and effective

Cheers
Old 02-24-2011, 08:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by eedsmx691
I just upgraded my ESC to a Castle Mamba Max Pro and my motor to a Trinity D3 10.5 in my SC10. I have a Savox SC1258TG steering servo and when I am driving, the truck runs in a straight line, but when the servo moves I loose all power to the ESC. I am using the stock receiver and transmitter that came with the truck (rtr) and I am wondering what could be causing this and what the fix is. I have tried a plug in BEC and that didn't help. I also put the original servo back in and everything works fine. I am looking at a new transmitter and receiver (MX-3X), but I am a couple of weeks away before I can purchase. Thanks for the help.
I had that same problem on my truck and i corrected by installing a capacitor on my receiver , buy the spektrum capacitor part # " SPM 1600 " , it comes with a servo plug , just installed into your receiver and problem solve ...