Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Gen Ace 5000mah 40c 7.4v lipo PROBLEMS hard case >

Gen Ace 5000mah 40c 7.4v lipo PROBLEMS hard case

Gen Ace 5000mah 40c 7.4v lipo PROBLEMS hard case

Old 01-29-2011, 08:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Gen Ace 5000mah 40c 7.4v lipo PROBLEMS hard case

Just wanted to put this out there just incase anyone else is having similar problems.. From what i see on the hobbypartz support forum theres a number of others having problems with these batteries also..

i have 2 packs that had bad internal connections, one was so bad any little bump would cause esc to reset itself and the other was not as bad but would do same thing at least a couple times during a session on the track..

after seeing that i would have to pay for shipping to return items and that hobbypartz isn't very good at exchanging parts to begin with i deceided to open them up and check them out myself...

it was fairly simple to unsolder metal connectors and solder wires directly to the battery tabs.. just had to take my time with a quality solder gun.. i also enlarged the holes so the wires could come out the front or the top of the case..

they have been working 100% ever since i did this...
Old 01-30-2011, 11:18 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Glad you found it simple to fix, but its a disappointment that it happened to start with.

With these cheap lipos, you have to be prepared to deal with the probs you encounter with these or buy extra ones to insure you have enough that actually work.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

must be a new problem i have 3 of these batteries and no problems yet but good info thanks for the tip
Old 01-30-2011, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have 4 of the GEN ACE 5000 so far it's been flawless I would say it has more grunt than my thunder power lipo which cost 4 times as much... I have this now as my race packs.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:23 PM
Tech Adept

Just just got mine on Thursday. Used them at track today for the first time. My car would just stop on the track with both batteries. Happened several times.

Thought it was just my esc cutting it off due to low voltage. Now I read this.

Battery lead plugs seem kind of loose.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:37 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jochim_18
I have 4 of the GEN ACE 5000 so far it's been flawless I would say it has more grunt than my thunder power lipo which cost 4 times as much... I have this now as my race packs.
Like original post says its for those who have similar problems, i never said that everyones batteries are junk also??

Originally Posted by mtnbiker67
Just just got mine on Thursday. Used them at track today for the first time. My car would just stop on the track with both batteries. Happened several times.

replace the shitty knockoff deans connectors first, if still happening be prepared for a big headache with trying to return them or open them up and hardwire them..
Old 02-01-2011, 07:21 AM
Tech Adept

I have heard hobbypartz customer service is the worst. I've emailed them twice with no reply. The first email was before I even got the batteries just having a general question. Still no reply over a week later!

I'm guessing email is not the way to go with them! I will try some new connectors. If that doesn't work, I'll be calling them directly!

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 02-02-2011, 06:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I had the same problem the other day, thought it was cogging but could be the batteries.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jochim_18
Lol, more grunt than Thunder Power! and then you woke up!
Old 02-03-2011, 07:22 AM
Tech Adept

saw another similar complaint..

http://www.rcdiscuss.com/index.php/topic,37047.0.html
Old 02-03-2011, 07:29 AM
Tech Adept

Getting new battery leads today. Will find out on Sunday if problem is solved.

Will post results soon.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Same thing with two of mine. i sent one back in as it lost all voltage on the positive side. Then the scond one started cutting out also...
Old 02-09-2011, 01:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Same problem here. Ho do you open the hardcase?
Old 02-09-2011, 06:37 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by smashbeat
Same problem here. Ho do you open the hardcase?
small cut in clear outer wrap, then slide it off...

case on middle of long side on one side only theres a spot where you can use small flat screw driver to slowly pry it open.. once its open slightly you can use your fingers to pull it open slowly..

once open you will see connectors, just unsolder them and solder correct +/- wires directly to the tabs
Old 02-09-2011, 02:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by racerx711
small cut in clear outer wrap, then slide it off...

case on middle of long side on one side only theres a spot where you can use small flat screw driver to slowly pry it open.. once its open slightly you can use your fingers to pull it open slowly..

once open you will see connectors, just unsolder them and solder correct +/- wires directly to the tabs
They must have changed the case. There is not detachable outer wrap and I can't see the spot you are referring to. I tried to cut the case and it is thick. I'll probably just throw it away. Bummer, my first electric truck and I spent more time trying to fix the electronics than running it.
But I still have my nitro Savage ready to run

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.