R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 07-05-2011, 05:55 AM   #286
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

im in the market for a new radio now... and im kinda confused on which one to buy... i race touring cars in 13.5... i really like the m11x but is the mt4 a better choice? since this is cheaper, newer model, same speed? i dont know if ill be needing the traction control though of the m11x... what are the other pro/cons of choosing either? (will post this also on the m11x thread) your help is very much appreciated
Old 07-05-2011, 08:53 AM   #287
mes
Tech Addict

The M11x can be converted for left-handed use and has backlighting.
The MT-4 is way lighter and seems to be better adaptable to various (right ) hand sizes.

I chose lighter over light.
mes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:37 AM   #288
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The telemetry is pretty cool on mt-4, and m11x though is a high-end racing radio. If purpose is to ge a radio for racing, then m11x is a better choice. At my hobby shop, we have seen a shift from getting cheapest radio (AM) to entry level 2.4Ghz. People are willing to spend more on a nicer radio equipment, but not a lot more on a high-end competition radio. The only high-end we stock is DX3R Pro, Spektrum does attract more customers than Fut, KO, Air, etc locally.
superspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #289
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmomedrano View Post
im in the market for a new radio now... and im kinda confused on which one to buy... i race touring cars in 13.5... i really like the m11x but is the mt4 a better choice? since this is cheaper, newer model, same speed? i dont know if ill be needing the traction control though of the m11x... what are the other pro/cons of choosing either? (will post this also on the m11x thread) your help is very much appreciated
I used to have a MT-4. Just sold it last week to get an additional RX-451R for my other car. The MT-4 by no means is a lighter radio. However, I chose precision over weight. The M11X is ultra smooth especially the throttle response. You could feel as if you are on-wire with the car. As I don't use the telemetry features, hence no point (in fact the temperaure readings are not important to me at all since I am in drifting and play mostly indoors. RPM readings???? What is that for when the fact you're be looking at the car more than looking at the transmitter. Perhaps to gauge how fast you are actually going in touring.

In short, the MT-4 is actually a very decent radio (for bashing & casual competition) and is better than the MX-3(in fact I migrated from the MX-3 to the MT-4 then now the M11X). My advice is that just grab the M11X if you have the means and you should not have regret although it's slightly heavier (mine is on 2S lipo). I used to have the same concern on weight, but I have regretted of not getting the M11X earlier.
durkheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #290
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Get the MT4....Its like a m11x but a lot smaller and lighter....works great
proraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:39 PM   #291
Tech Initiate

Just so you know, the rx-461 telemetry receiver is on sale for $69 at rc mushroom. I just ordered two the other day myself.
xxcysxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:49 PM   #292
Eli
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

This radio will accept the m11x reciever with the super high response technology so speed should be the same as the m11x. im lovin mine and cam from a regular m11 on nimh.
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:49 AM   #293
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by proraptor View Post
Get the MT4....Its like a m11x but a lot smaller and lighter....works great
Actually, have u make a comparison between the Mt4 and M11x personally? I have both of them attached to my Yokomo DRB with the LRP ultimo esc and Savox 1267sg servo.Honestly I can't feel the difference on the steering response between the two, but throttle response is definitely different. When on the MT4 response is like 1,4,7,10,13........ But the M11x will give u something like 1,2,3,4,5,6......

If u are a beginner in RC or new with your car, I don't think u will feel the difference. Anyway, just get a controller that suits your budget and preference. The M11x is more expensive with reasons other than the backlight and additional functions.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:29 PM   #294
Tech Initiate

Quote:
When on the MT4 response is like 1,4,7,10,13........ But the M11x will give u something like 1,2,3,4,5,6......
Well that's weird! I thought all digital radio transmitter should have at least 512 steps of resolution and twice of that in ppm mode. Nowadays newer transmitter should have at least 1024 as standard and 2048 as an extended feature. Higher end futaba transmitter have achieved 4096 steps of resolution.

While I can relate to the part about every esc model calibrate differently to every transmitter model. But I doubt that any esc will ever see the full range of resolution that is transmitted from any transmitter, not event close to the basic value of 512 steps of resolution.

Try and plug a servo to the throttle channel and see, there should not be any different from the steering channel.

One can always increase ATV electronically to achieve finer response resolution.

I stand to be corrected.
xxcysxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:27 AM   #295
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I sold my M11x and picked up a MT-4, much happier.

MT-4 is lighter, otherwise the feel to me is the same as M11x and best of all you don't have that ridiculous huge display screen.

Menu system is so much better on MT-4.

No problems here with the throttle feel.

I'm just waiting to see what they bring out next for their flagship transmitter
1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:43 AM   #296
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Does this radio has a multi point throttle curve?
BoneDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #297
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxcysxx View Post
Well that's weird! I thought all digital radio transmitter should have at least 512 steps of resolution and twice of that in ppm mode. Nowadays newer transmitter should have at least 1024 as standard and 2048 as an extended feature. Higher end futaba transmitter have achieved 4096 steps of resolution.

While I can relate to the part about every esc model calibrate differently to every transmitter model. But I doubt that any esc will ever see the full range of resolution that is transmitted from any transmitter, not event close to the basic value of 512 steps of resolution.

Try and plug a servo to the throttle channel and see, there should not be any different from the steering channel.

One can always increase ATV electronically to achieve finer response resolution.

I stand to be corrected.
That is just only a simple description of how I felt with the throttle response. In fact I have both sets of esc & servo combo (Savox 1267SG & LRP Utimo vs Tahmazo DS1061 servo & Ezyrun 60A esc) binded to the MT4 and M11X before I made my decision to depart with my 3 months old MT4 for the M11X. More of my sharing could be found in the M11X thread. Those who are new in RC or not familiar with their cars are unlikely to feel the response difference besides the weight and size factor. For a RC fanatic person like me, nothing matters more than precision and 'feel'.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:45 AM   #298
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I Just Swithed from Spektrum DX3S to the MT-4 and I love this radio. It has great features and menus and it doesnt feel cheap. I will never go back to Spektrum.
Blue Diamond RC
koopesv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:11 PM   #299
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by koopesv View Post
I Just Swithed from Spektrum DX3S to the MT-4 and I love this radio. It has great features and menus and it doesnt feel cheap. I will never go back to Spektrum.
Good choice Koop!
Delawareguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:02 PM   #300
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDoc View Post
Does this radio has a multi point throttle curve?
The MT4 has a choice of throttle exponential or an adjustable rate control (ARC). Unlike the expo where the settings are just + or - 5%, 10, 15, etc.(regular curve), the ARC feature allows you to set at what point of the throttle travel the rate will start to increase exponentially. But this is just one point. I used to have a cheap 2.4ghz radio branded E-Fly (looks like a KO Helios) which had a multi point throttle curve adjustments at 25%, 50% and 75% travel points. I sold it though as the accuracy and features were no match to a Sanwa MT4 and most especially the M11x which I also have.
Sponsored Links