Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
what's the best ac/dc dual charger out there? >

what's the best ac/dc dual charger out there?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what's the best ac/dc dual charger out there?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 11:45 PM
Tech Adept

Default what's the best ac/dc dual charger out there?

Looking for the best ac/dc dual chargers on the market. Checked out the new Thunder Power, Muchmore racing, and the new Hyperion dual but all these " high end chargers" are only dc and will require separate power supplies.

I want the convenience of one unit that I can plug into the wall at my local indoor track. Need it to have the capacity to charge to at least 10 amps.

currently using 2 venom pro chargers. Nothing wrong with them, but just purcahsed some protec and thunder power batteries, which can be charged up to 2C, so I want to be able to charge them at 10 amps, especially at the track, where time is essential.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:35 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

This is the highest end AC/DC charger I've seen, but not sure that even this one can do what you want, it has the current, but apparently not the power, its also uber expensive. If you look at the manual, this is limited to 120watts on AC and that may be for both ports (manual is confusing). -

http://www.electricwingman.com/graup...ancer-lcd.aspx

There are limitations on AC/DC chargers, I'm not aware of a serious dual AC/DC charger besides the Graupner. You'll likely settle for less that you're looking for with an AC/DC or go with a DC powered dual.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

This ones the best.
http://www.rctoys.com/rc-products/TP-820CD.html
Old 01-19-2011, 09:09 AM
Tech Lord

The OP says he's looking for an AC/DC one......
Old 03-07-2011, 09:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Just want to pull this thread up again for the OP since I'm in the market for one as well.

And this is a general question but why are DC only chargers considered more "pro" and have subjectively speaking better features. It's always seemed like a hassle to me to have a separate power supply and I was just curious as to why this was the case.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:09 PM
Tech Lord

I wouldn't say they have better features. Most AC/DC chargers have balance, storage and fast lipo charge modes like the DC powered ones.

To me its a matter of letting charger people go about the business of designing a charger and not a power supply. It also recognizes that power supply designers do a better job designing a power supply than a charger.

As charger output goes up, an internal supply would get pretty bulky and heavy. That places a practical limit on AC/DC chargers which is what you see in the market place.