Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Using 6ch transmitter/receiver to control LARGER devices >

Using 6ch transmitter/receiver to control LARGER devices

Using 6ch transmitter/receiver to control LARGER devices

Old 01-18-2011, 11:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Using 6ch transmitter/receiver to control LARGER devices

Hello!

I have a project in mind that somewhat combines robotics and RC technology. My goal is to use a 6-channel remote controller and receiver (something like what they use for helicopters, planes, etc. - i.e.: cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130475672647&ssPageNam e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT)... to control a variety of voltage-controlled devices (such as large DC motors, linear actuators, etc.). Everything would be roughly 12V, with varying amperages, typically used for recreational (moped, ATV, etc) or automotive applications.

What I want to know is what intermediary devices are necessary to go from the tiny, standard, controller/receiver, up to the larger DC motors, linear actuators, etc.??? Would I need to hook up the outputs of the receiver to a 12V automotive relay to trigger the larger devices? Are there ESCs that handle large-load devices like big DC motors (say, golf-cart sized motors)?

I know they use remotes like this to create full-size remotely operated automobiles (for movies, novelty, etc.).... so what are the mystery devices that go between the tiny receiver and the full-size motors and devices??

Thank you all for your assistance, and if anyone has any websites, documents, resources, etc., I would greatly appreciate it!!

-Dave