Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Help with hobbywing ESC setup >

Help with hobbywing ESC setup

Like Tree2Likes

Help with hobbywing ESC setup

Old 01-14-2011, 08:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Help with hobbywing ESC setup

I just installed the 60A Hobbywing ESC and a 17.5T Epic brushless motor. I am getting a delay when I hit full throttle. I have adjusted the punch to most agressive with no change.

The motor says it comes at 0 timing, I have tried differnt timing set ups on the ESC with no change either.

Fully charged Lipo, what am I missing? It's like a split second starts then it cranks up to full throttle, on the gorund it creates kind of a slow cogging type start?
Old 01-14-2011, 09:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Sensored type motors often use a different type of winding pattern than sensorless motor designs. With a lower resistance, high Kv motor, almost any ESC can power it up smoothly and keep the driver happy. But, when it comes to lower KV, high resistance motors, like a 17.5, most sensorless controllers will have a very hard time starting a sensored motor in this range without cogging. There has been some success stories floating around on the forum, but more often than that you will find many posts similar to yours. Just to be sure, I do suggest checking your connections very closely. The ESC settings can make a small difference, but it sounds like you are having a pretty big cogging issue. Also, make sure you watch temps closely, cogging can heat up a motor to dangerous levels before you know it.

I would suggest picking up a sensorless design motor. You can find them very cheap at places like HObbyPartz.com and they are proven to perform very well. On the proper motor these Hobbywing ESCs are some of the smoothest I have ever driven.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks, I thought about that right after I tried. I have a 13.5T sensorless motor, looks like I am moving up a class in racing.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

As far as I know "EZ" runs do not support brushless motors. I can tell you from experence that that ESC paired with a quality sensorless motor is as smooth as any sensored set up. But if you look over the specs of sensorless ESC's you'll see that many of them support sensored motors, but according to the manual it only states "sensorless".
This is cut & copied from the manual

1.5 Motor Supported: Sensorless Brushless Motor

No mention of sensorless. Im not 100% shure it wont work. Ive read that some sensorless ESCs do support sensored and some do not. But Ive read where people have ran Novaks with Ezruns. If theres a pause before it goes forward maybe switch your throttle in the other direction on your TX and switch 2 of the 3 motor wires. Actually that sounds like it could work. It has a few second stall before it goes in reverse. So try that.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

I will try that and report back as I just put a sensorless matching hobbywing 13.5 hobbywing motor in and same problem.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Well I'm stumped. I tried the reversing throttle trick no luck. I am running a sensorless motor in it so that should not be an issue now. Delayed full throttle still. It has good partial throttle no cogging, I am talking when you stab the throttle full right away, I get the delay.

Radio adjustment perhaps? I am still learning all of those, its an Airtronic MX-3X.

I think I am going to hook up another LRP sensorless ESC I have and see if I get the same issue.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Do you have more throttle w/o the dlay in reverse?
Old 01-14-2011, 11:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yes, just checked, off nuetral there is no delay heading into reverse like there is forward??

And for further clarification at partial throttle no bucking at all and when I slam full throttle off partial no delay. It is only when slamming from neutral position?
Old 01-14-2011, 11:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

are the brakes working normally? Maybe your actually running the esc in reverse, and the motor wires are swapped making it think you are correct.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Brakes are working normal, reverse has the correct double delay when coming off forward throttle as well.

I have also tried reversing motor wires and running radio throttle trim in reverse and normal, same condition either way.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

hmm, I am sure you have tried recalibrating it to the tx, but throwing that out there. What if you try trimming the neutral until it start to move, then backing if off just a click or two so it will sit still, and punch it? I have had 2 out of probably 15 of the ezruns that acted funny. When you slam the throttle wide open, they would just sit there like they didn't react to the throttle input at all. The leds wouldn't respond or anything. It was only a slam from a dead stop. If you eased into it a tad it would take off fine, no cogging. Have you messed with any of the timing, or punch control settings?
Old 01-14-2011, 11:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

I have recalibrated several times. The throttle trim is as you say right before it moves but that does not seem to affect it.

LED's all reading correctly at various inputs. Its not as bad as whay you describe in that it resonds just slowly before it gets it hole head of steam going.

I have tried various throttle punch settings as well
Old 01-14-2011, 12:39 PM
Tech Elite

Im almost shure you are runnng it backwards. Try calabarating it backwards maybe.... I have had several Ezruns and Xeruns and this sounds like your backwards, Im shure of it!
Old 01-14-2011, 01:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Can you clarify what you mean by running it backwards? I have tried reversing motor wires, the throttle on my transmitter, what else is there?

I've only been swapping the outside wired, A &C, should the instructions say you swap any two?

Thanks for your help
Old 01-14-2011, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

I mean that in forward it runs full throttle and theres a pause befor the ESC will go in reverse and the defult is 50% throttle force. So when you say it runs without delay and fast in reverse, but theres a delay in forward and if its not quite as fast then its backwards. URGG...I wish you where right down the street and Id have you all squared up! Im going to PM you my phone number. Maybe I could be of more help while talking directly to you! Call me! YGPM

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.