Wiki Posts
Search

Sidewinder SC

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 01:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Sidewinder SC

I was wondering if the Sidewinder SC is interchangeable with Sidwinder ESC's?

I want to use a 5700kv motor with the Sidewinder SC ESC. Will this work?

I also want to use the 3800kv motor that comes with the Sidewinder SC with the normal Sidewinder ESC that I have. Can I also do this?

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2011, 03:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Yes, these will work together just fine. But, if you use the original Sidewinder with the SCT motor in a SC truck it could be pushing its limits because of the weight of the vehicle. Temperature should be your guide to what is working well or not. I would have to ask why you would want to do this since both ESCs operate exactly the same, and the SCT is designed for the larger motor.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by burnineyes
Yes, these will work together just fine. But, if you use the original Sidewinder with the SCT motor in a SC truck it could be pushing its limits because of the weight of the vehicle. Temperature should be your guide to what is working well or not. I would have to ask why you would want to do this since both ESCs operate exactly the same, and the SCT is designed for the larger motor.
I thought the SCT ESC was beefier to handle the weight of short course trucks? Is the 3800kv itself a lot beefier than the normal 5700kv motor? I thought it just had a little bit more torque?

I want to do this because I have a normal Sidewinder in my Blitz right now, with a 5700kv motor. The SCT combo wasn't available when I bought it and I didn't know the Sidewinder wasn't meant for short course trucks.

I plan on getting a Tamiya FF-03 and because it's FWD, I wanted to put a lower kv motor in, hence why I want to get the 3800kv motor, rather than putting in a 5700kv motor. I was planning on taking the normal Sidewinder out of my Blitz and putting that in the FF-03 as well, and then putting the SCT ESC into the Blitz instead.

Does this sound like a bad idea? Should I just put the 3800kv motor in the Blitz as well? I really wanted my Blitz to be the insane speed machine and let the FF-03 be more controllable.

EDIT: Looking at Castle's website, the SCT ESC can handle 40% more power so it should be suited to the truck quite well. Just not sure if I want the 3800 kv motor in the FF-03 or the Blitz...