Wiki Posts
Search

Airtronics 2.4ghz Rx Antenna Length

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 01:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Airtronics 2.4ghz Rx Antenna Length

Howdy folks...I tried searching but didn't find anything specifically about this. I'm looking for an upgrade to my Radio and I'm leaning heavily between the Airtronics MX3-Sport and the Airtronics MX-3X. I don't want this thread to be a debate about TX/RX though...my question is related to the Antenna wires.

I did Spektrum on my Helicopters and I've looked at Spektrum heavily for Cars before deciding I was more interested in the Airtronics. The Spektrum stuff has very short Antenna wires. Even the Traxxas 2.4ghz Link system has very short Antenna wires. The range is awesome on my Traxxas Link System but I want 1 Radio I can use for multiple cars.

So, why is the Airtronics Antenna so long? Also, what do folks do with all that Antenna? One of the things I loved about 2.4ghz was not needing the stupid Antenna tube sticking out of my body. My Slash has a tiny tube that's under the body and well protected. If I put an Airtronics in there - do I have to put a long tube sticking up out of it? Very confused...and looking for pictures/info of what you guys do...

I might be persuaded back to Spektrum if I have to have the long Antenna tubes with Airtronics...

Please help!
Old 12-18-2010, 05:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Antenna

If you have the room you can lay it flat on something and then run a piece of electrical tape over it to keep it from moving.

On my Associated SC10 I laid it flat on the chassis and taped over it and it works great.

On my Jammin SCRT10 I wrapped it around the receiver box and ran a piece of electrical tape over it to keep it from moving, works great this way as well.

I to didn't want to have an antenna tube running up and out the body.

Back when I had my B4 buggy I took a piece of 12 gauge house wire and ran it from the antenna mount to the rear shock tower and coiled the antenna wire around it and put a piece of electrical tape over the end to keep it from unraveling. Worked great this way as well.

In all above ways I can run the vehicles farther than i can see.

I have the MXsport rx/tx.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Tech Adept

Thank you for the ideas. I just don't understand why they are so long to begin with. Good to know it doesn't have to be sticking up though.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:41 AM
Tech Adept

I have a second question on the Airtronics Receivers I thought I'd toss in here to see if someone can answer for me.

The receiver is not equipped with BEC circuitry. Do not use more than 6.0 volts to power the receiver. Anything higher than 6.0 volts may damage or destroy the receiver. Only use a 4.8-6.0 volt battery pack or ESC that is designed to lower the voltage to this range.
What exactly does this mean? In my Traxxas Slash I'm running a 7.4v Lipo. How do I know what voltage the ESC is sending to the Receiver? Do I have to do something special here? Very confused by this.