Wiki Posts
Search

bullet style lipo balancing

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 08:29 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default bullet style lipo balancing

I'm new to lipo's and was looking into a bullet style protek rc battery. on the battery i'm looking at i see a single 2mm bullet connector between the 4mm pos and neg bullets. i'm not sure how to wire the balancer to the battery. i have an onyx 230 charger and plan on buying the balancer when i get the battery so i'm not sure what wiring or connectors to buy when i make the order. oh and i plan on buying the equinox balancer.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:53 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by spyder8c
I'm new to lipo's and was looking into a bullet style protek rc battery. on the battery i'm looking at i see a single 2mm bullet connector between the 4mm pos and neg bullets. i'm not sure how to wire the balancer to the battery. i have an onyx 230 charger and plan on buying the balancer when i get the battery so i'm not sure what wiring or connectors to buy when i make the order. oh and i plan on buying the equinox balancer.
Just a FYI...you may want to check out a Hyperion charger/balancer unit. They charge lipos, NIMH, NIcad, Etc. You don't need to buy a seperate balancer for your Lipo's. It does it all. Hyperion also makes a Duo Charger/Balancer. There very easy to use....even for a beginner.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

While a charger with built in balancer is always a good thing, it may not make sense financially right now if you already have a charger. If you can afford it though it is the way to go. Using a separate balancer is not bad by any means, it is more work, more wires, and it has limits while balance charging that most chargers with built in balancing will not. The Equinox balancer will only balance charge up to 3A.

The pack should come with a balance tap that will plug right into the Equinox. The 2mm plug they mention is the part that goes into the battery itself, it should have a balance plug on the other end.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

This one is $5 more but will charge through balance at 6 amps.
And includes the correct wireing for bullet style balancing.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTSA5&P=7
Old 11-23-2010, 10:52 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Nice. thanks for pointing that out. i thought the checkpoint was the same balancer as the equinox just rebadged. that will be sufficient for my needs as i'm only a casual racer. but what rate do most people charge at? the battery i'm getting says not to charge over 10a so i assume 6a will be plenty.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:13 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

There is a 3rd balancer, the Hyperion LBA10, that should be in this comparison. Hyperion makes all 3 of these if I'm not mistaken. LBA10 has the highest charge thru of these 3 at 10amps.

http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-eos-l...0a-p-2916.html
Old 11-24-2010, 04:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Duster_360
There is a 3rd balancer, the Hyperion LBA10, that should be in this comparison. Hyperion makes all 3 of these if I'm not mistaken. LBA10 has the highest charge thru of these 3 at 10amps.

http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-eos-l...0a-p-2916.html
I have and still use one of these ^ great balancer.. I've had mine for awhile and works great.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I still think the Equinox is simply a rebadged Checkpoint, or vice-versa. I have a Checkpoint though to use with the Ice. The harness it comes with is for the 2mm balance port my Orion uses. I also bought a JST/XH harness for it to balance the HK Lipo's I recently bought.
Same with my 0606i, I built a stackable banana-plug adaper for the Hyperion balance adapter, and bought a JST/XH adapter board for it too.