Wiki Posts
Search

Lots of questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 11:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Lots of questions

So Ive been out o RC for almost 10 years and am getting back in. Think I finally go the lipo and brushless motor thing down, but radio's, esc's and servo's have me all confused now.

When I was racing everyone was still on FM. I see alot of talk about 2.4GhZ and Spektrum. Is specktrum just a brand or is it a signal? I use to run an old Futaba Magnum because I loved the way it felt in my hands. Didnt feel like a cheap toy radio, hand some weight to it and good features for back then. I have not really seen anything that resemples it today short of a few KO Pro Po's.

ESC's. It seems that Tekin is now the king of the hill for now. I use to run both Tekin and Novak back then, but it seems the Tekin RS and RS Pro are the hot set ups. Am I correct in assuming this? BTW Im planning to run SC open class and it looks like I can run whatever motor/battery combo I want with the Tekin's listed above.

SERVO's. I know all about their tq ratings and this is a question I have. I have a pretty nice although old school JR high TQ servo in my old T3. I have read that these servos can not handle the higher power output of the lipo set ups. Will I risk burning up that servo if I run it or do the Tekin ESC's allow me to "tune" the power going to the servo?

Your help is appreciated.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Spectrum is just a brand. There are several ways the 2.4Ghz signal is encoded/decoded - FAAST, FHSS, DSS, and on and on, there's a bunch. In the FM days there were diff modes - PCM,PPM HRS etc. Same type deal with 2.4Ghz.

These are different propietary (patented) technologies and they don't typically work with each other. A Futaba 2.4 FAAST tx will not work with a Spectrum 2.4 rcvr for example.

ESCs - depends on what you're doing. Racing - don't know since I don't any longer and got out a long time ago, but I see Tekin talked about a lot. Bashing - big mix there. Castle escs seem popular - thats what I run, have more than 10 of them.

Sertvos - the internal BEC in the esc generally sets the voltage output to the servos at +/-6v. The setups you're erading about are running a separate lipo just to power their high torque, hi voltage servos. I'm not aware of anybodys escs that are intended for high voltage servos only.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the clearing some of that up.

Just be be clear I can run my 8 year old high torque JR servo in a lipo/brushless set up without worring about burning it up right?
Old 10-12-2010, 03:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

right, i use old servos as well. My lrp speedo send 6 volts to the servo. most speedos are setup to push 6 volts.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Tekins RX8 esc specs say the esc BEC is 6v and 5amps. The RS Pro esc is 6v and 3amps per its specs which is the same specs for the R1 esc.

Your old servo isn't going to have any probs with a Tekin esc.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Tech Champion

The only compatibility issue with older servos in a new electric RC that I’m aware of is with radios. Some of the better radios have higher speed modes that require a modern digital servo. But I believe most have a standard mode available that will still work with an older analog servo, and then can step up if-when the servo is upgraded.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:43 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Dave H
The only compatibility issue with older servos in a new electric RC that I’m aware of is with radios. Some of the better radios have higher speed modes that require a modern digital servo. But I believe most have a standard mode available that will still work with an older analog servo, and then can step up if-when the servo is upgraded.

Good to know. I had not even though about that. Truth be told I never even made the jump to FM. I was racing on old AM because I was the only one and never had to switch crystals haha!

Not sure which radio set up I want yet. Always had Futaba, but am open to other brands. Espcially since all the Futaba's Ive seen now seem to look like toys. I hate that.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:31 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Radio/Esc

Radios have changed a lot in the last few years.

I have a KO Proppo EX-10 Helios. It is now several years old. I added a spekrum DSM module to run off 2.4. I think the best thing about this is you do not have to worry about frequency/crystals. It searches and chooses a channel that no one is on. You do not interfere with other people and they do not interfere with you.

The second best thing is I added a telemtry unit. I first put this on a nitro GT2. Since the nitro track I ran at closed down, we run elecric only at the new one. (for now at least) I tranfered the unit over and it gives me battery leel and a temperature reading. I have the temp on my motor, butit can be placed on the esc. This comes on some of the newer Spektrum Radios.

Third: I like messing with computers. I can hook it directly to my laptop and dee all of my settings at one time, mae adjustmernts and send them to the radio. I am also a musician, so when I turn my radio on, I programed the first few bars of Dixie as the startup tones.

I am not a pro, and live almost 100 miles from the track I race at. I call myself the moving obstacle for the better drivers. They laugh and I try to stay out of the way and run smooth and steady and pass them by when they are being turn marshalled. I have really enjoyed this radio.

ESC
I put a RX8 Tekin in my T4 for over kill. It might be good in a sc also. I really lke it and I do not have to worry about overheating it and my motor stays around 130 degrees. And if I decide to get crazy I can put a "big"(high volt) battery in it and not worry about it.

Remember the New Tekins also have computer interfaces. Allowing for a lot of fine tuning. You can just plug it set it and run.

Look for Randy_Pike he is from tekin and will answer all of your questions about their ESC's.

John