Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exponential ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 03:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Exponential ?

I have a spektrum dx3s radio and wonder what does the exponential setting do for you. I have messed with it with the buggy on the ground but really can not tell a difference. Can you guys help me?
Old 10-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

EXP on the steering channel slows down your steering near center wheel. It puts your steering response on a curve instead being linear.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

and exponential for your throtal servo will do the same putting a curve so ur motor willl not get up to speed as quick or quicker depending on which way you put your curve.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Deleted my post, becasue I didn't know what I was talking about.

Last edited by bevofrancis; 10-05-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

If your carb is fully open at 1/5 trigger then your EPA probably isn't set correctly.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bevofrancis
It will get your engine up to speed just as fast. You just have to pull your trigger farther. I set mine at 100 for my throttle, that way I have to pull my trigger all the way to get full throttle. It makes throttle control much easier. At 0, it was only taking me to pull my trigger about 1/5 of the way and my carb would be completely open. Now I have to pull my throttle trigger all the way to open it up.

The easy way to see what it's doing for throttle is to watch your carb when you pull your trigger with the setting at 0. Then turn it up to 100 and pull your trigger again, and see how much easier it is to control the servo in small increments.
You're talking about EPA's not Expo.

Expo on throttle causes your initial power to come in softer or more aggressive with the same amount of trigger pull depending on which way you turn the curve. If you dial in negative expo, your throttle will come in softer, but then ramp up harder as you pull the trigger. This is useful in off-road on a slick track, for example. You get the softer power output at first to get the car going without spinning, then the further you pull the faster it applies the juice. Positive expo is just the opposite. It starts the throttle out hard then softens it up as you pull farther.

You get the same amount of power at the end, it's just all in how you get there.

Edit: I've attached a crude diagram to help visualize it. The red lines indicate 100% throttle, the black lines are 0%. The blue line represents an arbitrary position of the trigger (1/4 pull for example). Note on the positive expo curve how much more throttle you are getting with that much trigger pull. Now look at the negative side, the power comes in slower. When you reach full trigger pull, you will be at 100% throttle regardless of which curve you have.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Expo curves.pdf (11.2 KB, 886 views)

Last edited by klaymon; 10-05-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Tech Master

It all depends on how you race. I have a fair bit of negative expo, which gives me better throttle control at very low speeds, as up to half-trigger only give about 1/3 power. If I went the other way and had positive expo, I would have lots of throttle from the start, but then it would even out in the middle section of the trigger pull to give more mid-speed control.
Some don't even feel the difference, but positive expo will make the car feel more "punchy" coming out of turns on initial acceleration, and negative does the opposite.
Of course if you use the trigger more like a switch, it doesn't matter
Old 10-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JR007
Of course if you use the trigger more like a switch, it doesn't matter
i'm getting a radio with all those settings to tweak to get me out of that habit.. after 20yrs..
Old 10-08-2010, 07:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

How many guy's use the puch control, with electric SCT? I have always used the expo to tame down the low end, but recently ran into guy using the punch.

Since I have never really used the punch not to sure of the differences? Sorry not to thread Jack, .....
Old 10-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Exponential

Steering expo can be used to counteract understeer and oversteer. (+) expo decreases oversteer and (-) Decreases understeer. I usually go as high as +35 to decrease oversteer.