Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo charging bag necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 04:04 PM
Tech Addict

Default Lipo charging bag necessary?

I see all kinda of threads and info about lipo batteries blowing up, burning up, catching fire etc. Do I really need a bag to keep the battery in while charging and storing? I'm looking for a no BS answer here. I see way too many topics across the internet riddled with "they will blow up!" and the like. It reads like paranoia and really makes it seem like using lipo batteries is a waste of time because they have problems.

So how much actual precaution is really necessary?
Old 09-26-2010, 05:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

I have 3 different LiPos and I've yet to have any problems with them, but I know there are certain risks. I always store them in the sack when not in use. When I charge, I always keep and eye on them. Paranoia? Maybe, but ask the guys who've lost their house or car (not the RC one) to a LiPo fire if it's paranoia. I look at it like this: a bag costs $20. It's pretty cheap insurance and it adds 3 seconds to your charging/storing procedure.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

At the track, we don't use lipo sacks, but we're in the pits and there is nothing really to catch fire -- the ceiling is really high up there, the walls are cinder block, and the pits, even being wood, aren't UNDER what would shoot flames -- it would just char them up a bit. At home, you definitely use a bag as your carpet and drapes, not to mention your entire house, wouldn't take kindly to a flare.

I suggest getting an ammo box for storage at home. Throw em in there with the lid just sat on top so it doesn't lock all the pressure in if one goes off, it will let it out, just not the flames.

You really do need to store them in something that can take the flare up as they can go off just sitting in storage if they start to puff and puncture themselves on something. It's not common, but it's cheap insurance.

It's never going to happen to you, but if it does, you're gonna feel real dumb.

Wayne
Old 09-26-2010, 06:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I haven't used one before for storage or charging but after reading this thread below im going to buy one, until then I will charge & store them in my garage on bricks on concrete floor.

Read this and then make up your own mind, for $20 you could save yourself/house - it probably wont happen but as they guy above said if it does & all you wanted to do was save 20 bucks then you will feel dumb.

Another option is to charge the lipos in a cinder block, cost you nothing if you can find one somewhere, its just annoying & bulky to move.

* attention lipo users* liposack saves my home
Old 09-26-2010, 06:11 PM
Tech Addict

It's not about saving money, but you must admit that there's many threads about "lipo blew up!" "lipo puffed up and vented gas!" "lipo is unsafe". $20 is nothing to me really, if I should have one I will get one. I just wanted a real answer from real people. Reading way too many bad things lol. Also...any suggestions on an area to do my charge/discharge? I do not have any garage area (it's setup as a band room and fully enclosed with soundproofing on the walls, carpeted floor etc.). Should I put the battery in a bag, then in some type of container when I have it hooked up to my charger? I have an ammo can, but it's filled with actual ammo Anything else I can use?
Old 09-26-2010, 06:35 PM
Tech Adept

Hah! Keep the charging lipo away from that ammo can!

I usually just charge mine in the middle of the garage floor on a steel plate as its all concrete.

If not i would probably charge it in my laundry on the tiled floor in a steel box (ammo box) or a steel plate of some sort.

I guess common sense will tell you where to charge and where not too.

I have never seen one blow up like an explosive, they seem to shoot smoke and a slight flame so keeping anything within 2 metre distance i think you should be fine.

But i am no expert so take my advise lightly PLS!
Old 09-26-2010, 06:39 PM
Tech Addict

I guess I could empty my ammo can out into plastic baggies and use the empty can for my battery. Gonna take some time but I can think of no other way to be safe.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I store mine on a shelf in my hobby room in the house. There are probably millions of LiPo's sitting new in packages in hobby shops all across the country. I don't think I've heard of any of them randomly catching fire and taking down the hobby shop with them. I think storing them in ammo boxes is a bit overkill. Hell, I charge them on my hobby table with no other protection. I just make sure I'm around while the charge is taking place. I have 12 LiPo packs of differing voltage and capacity. All are just fine.

The LiPo in my cell phone hasn't blown up yet either. Crazy, I know. It's like keeping a grenade in my back pocket.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:30 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by turbowop
I store mine on a shelf in my hobby room in the house. There are probably millions of LiPo's sitting new in packages in hobby shops all across the country. I don't think I've heard of any of them randomly catching fire and taking down the hobby shop with them. I think storing them in ammo boxes is a bit overkill. Hell, I charge them on my hobby table with no other protection. I just make sure I'm around while the charge is taking place. I have 12 LiPo packs of differing voltage and capacity. All are just fine.

The LiPo in my cell phone hasn't blown up yet either. Crazy, I know. It's like keeping a grenade in my back pocket.
What is your hobby table made of? I keep hearing not to charge them on anything flammable (no wood) but I have no tables that are not wood and no workbenches that are not the same materials.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:09 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Dredd
What is your hobby table made of? I keep hearing not to charge them on anything flammable (no wood) but I have no tables that are not wood and no workbenches that are not the same materials.

My table is wood, to get around this i used to lay a sheet of metal down.

I got the sheet from an old PC case, the side you slide off to access the parts was metal, so i just put that down on my desk. I was always home at the time but.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:14 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by synrgy
My table is wood, to get around this i used to lay a sheet of metal down.

I got the sheet from an old PC case, the side you slide off to access the parts was metal, so i just put that down on my desk. I was always home at the time but.
And I recycled all my old PC cases That's not a bad idea though, actually I might be able to find something laying around, maybe a piece of ceramic tile.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

At our track, it's use a lipo sack or go home.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

I had a lipo go up violently in a 1/8 buggy. It smoked and then kinda sounded like a prison fart and had flames shooting out. I could see it easily taking down a house. It was SCARY!
I store mine in an aluminum toolcase I bought at Home Depot along with my chargers and tools. I charge them in the open with a lipo sack sitting on the shelf. That will probably change now.

Lipos CAN be dangerous but so can driving on the interstate. Just be smart and take care of the cells. They are barely more dangerous than a loaded gun sitting on a table. The gun won't pick itself up and blow your head off but an idiot not knowing how to use it may.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

I watched a you tube video a year or so ago which showed a demonstration of a lipo fire. At that time, the alternative was to buy an expensive fire box or several lipo bags. If you can get a bag for $20, that's great. It's been awhile since I checked prices and the ones I found were around $39. I would have wanted a separate bag for each lipo so I wouldn't lose them all in storage, if one caught fire, but that's too expensive. The demonstration showed a lipo catching fire while charging, but the battery was locked in a metal "cash box". It seemed to protect everything fine, although there was smoke. So I bought a metal cash box for $26 at Walmart. But still can't afford to store each one separately. The (locking) metal cash box seems to do just fine, and I can store 5-6 batteries in it also, as well as use it to carry them to the track.

But, if I could get a $20 lipo bag, I think I'd do that now.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:44 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by LadiesFirst
I watched a you tube video a year or so ago which showed a demonstration of a lipo fire. At that time, the alternative was to buy an expensive fire box or several lipo bags. If you can get a bag for $20, that's great. It's been awhile since I checked prices and the ones I found were around $39. I would have wanted a separate bag for each lipo so I wouldn't lose them all in storage, if one caught fire, but that's too expensive. The demonstration showed a lipo catching fire while charging, but the battery was locked in a metal "cash box". It seemed to protect everything fine, although there was smoke. So I bought a metal cash box for $26 at Walmart. But still can't afford to store each one separately. The (locking) metal cash box seems to do just fine, and I can store 5-6 batteries in it also, as well as use it to carry them to the track.

But, if I could get a $20 lipo bag, I think I'd do that now.
How about a steel divider in the middle of the cash box ? May work ?!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.