Wiki Posts
Search

Novak ballistic rip offs????

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 06:48 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave H
Hard to comprehend the diversity of manufacturing and companies popping up all over there. It is a very large country to say the least. The seemingly common notion that everything comes from one place is rather amusing at times.
I don't think anyone is saying EVERYTHING comes from the same place. Copying is definitely rampant. But there is a long tradition in the RC world of one company making something, then selling it to other companies to put their label on.

Just look at all the IDENTICAL 27 turn stock motors that used to be the norm. It didn't matter whose label was on it, they were all yokomos. Then there were epics, available in your choice of brand name. On and on and on. Hell, look at how many different brands of tires have come and gone that were all made by Jaco or GRP.

Then there are nitro motors. Do you have any idea how many different brand names have all come from the same Novarossi factory? Here's a bunch just off of the top of my head: Novarossi, Top, Rex, JP, RB, Mugen, Losi, Gimar, HPI, etc.

Now I'm not saying that is the case here. This appears to be yet another case of blatant copying but this isn't the first time you have blasted people for believing something that really has been going on for decades.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I still am not saying with any certanty that these are not just knock offs, but the side on the newest Novak box from a Kinetic/Ballistic combo, clearly says, "Designed and assembled by Novak in Irving, California, using globally-sourced components"
Thats word for word. For my money, I'd buy a Novak Ballistic with the 120 day warranty and the tech support, and the reps at the big races, and the sponsored guys to awnser setup questions, and on and on--even for twice the money, the support you can get is worth the expense. I will say this, if the manufacturer of these knock offs IS the same as the Novaks "globally sourced" parts manufacturer, they should get their legal team to take a close look at and possibly revise their contract with them.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:50 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by wingracer
I don't think anyone is saying EVERYTHING comes from the same place. Copying is definitely rampant. But there is a long tradition in the RC world of one company making something, then selling it to other companies to put their label on.

Just look at all the IDENTICAL 27 turn stock motors that used to be the norm. It didn't matter whose label was on it, they were all yokomos. Then there were epics, available in your choice of brand name. On and on and on. Hell, look at how many different brands of tires have come and gone that were all made by Jaco or GRP.

Then there are nitro motors. Do you have any idea how many different brand names have all come from the same Novarossi factory? Here's a bunch just off of the top of my head: Novarossi, Top, Rex, JP, RB, Mugen, Losi, Gimar, HPI, etc.

Now I'm not saying that is the case here. This appears to be yet another case of blatant copying but this isn't the first time you have blasted people for believing something that really has been going on for decades.
Oh, no question that the Yoks and Epics were the same basic motor, cans and such. But if I remember correctly they were labeled as such on the endbell, yes were rebranded, in some cases with different brushes and springs, some not of course. As opposed to copies or whatever term is appropriate that is not uncommon these days. I do believe I clearly stated that both situations occur in the full version of my post.

Certainly wasn’t my intention to blast anyone, I was only sharing my first hand experience. I do stand by the substance of what I posted. Some of my experiences are rather memorable, hard not to comment when the subject arises.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Novak world championship products others will want what Novak has it's almost flattering to make a copy and yeah it's a slap on the face. But Novak takes care of there customers with great service. Your copy dies well then good luck in getting that fixed.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:39 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Dave H
Oh, no question that the Yoks and Epics were the same basic motor, cans and such. But if I remember correctly they were labeled as such on the endbell, yes were rebranded, in some cases with different brushes and springs, some not of course. As opposed to copies or whatever term is appropriate that is not uncommon these days. I do believe I clearly stated that both situations occur in the full version of my post.

Certainly wasn’t my intention to blast anyone, I was only sharing my first hand experience. I do stand by the substance of what I posted. Some of my experiences are rather memorable, hard not to comment when the subject arises.
Fair enough. Like I said, BOTH practices are quite common.

What I really wonder about are all the nearly identical chargers. I wonder how many of them are rebranded versions from the same factory and which ones are copied rip-offs.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dickie doyle
I still am not saying with any certanty that these are not just knock offs, but the side on the newest Novak box from a Kinetic/Ballistic combo, clearly says, "Designed and assembled by Novak in Irving, California, using globally-sourced components"
Thats word for word. For my money, I'd buy a Novak Ballistic with the 120 day warranty and the tech support, and the reps at the big races, and the sponsored guys to awnser setup questions, and on and on--even for twice the money, the support you can get is worth the expense. I will say this, if the manufacturer of these knock offs IS the same as the Novaks "globally sourced" parts manufacturer, they should get their legal team to take a close look at and possibly revise their contract with them.
I think is says that for only the ESC.
Not the motor...

But ohhhh i wanna try that motor i think i ma get me one of the cheap craps ^.^
Old 09-21-2010, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Some of the other forums where electrical engineers who have been playing with aircraft for centuries it seems, they have threads on electronics where they take them aart and compare. I saw one on the popular Accucel-6, which I dont think is the original, but there were something like 15 or more chargers on the market with the same internals and different names.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Well Yeah.
Turnegy aka Accucel aka Xcharger aka who knows who else.
Oh Hitech uses same internals now too.
And guess what they all come from the same manufactuere if you make order of 10 000 or more you get to slap ur own name on it.

There are few diffrences:
-The software (You get to pick from their selection, u can have ur own programmers write their own and you can customize it have them write it)
-The casing (Color, shape some alternation of fan location)
-THE LOGO

For as far as they care, u could label urs CLONECHARGER as long as you cough up the money they will make it for you.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:00 AM
Company Representative

In California, we are not allowed to claim that our products are "Made in the USA" even though we make them right here in our Irvine factory. We were sued a few years ago, along with several other US R/C companies.

In order to say "Made in the USA", a CA mfg (or anyone that ships products into CA) must not use any component not mfg here in America---not so much as a .001 cent resistor, cardboard, shrink wrap, screws, wire, etc. etc. Thus, the addition of "Globally Sourced Components." No conspiracy involved. Most times, we have no idea---and it would be difficult to find out---where each component in every product is made.

However, if any of you doubt that we make our products here, I invite you to visit us and check it out for yourself. We are preparing a slide show of our Ballistic manufacturing procedures to allow customers to see all of the steps we undertake in production.

Years ago, it was inevitable that motor mfgs would copy our original sensored motor design; we did not protest because we were eager to see this BL technology become the new standard for the racing segment of the industry.

However, knocking off our Ballistic motor design is going way too far. No need for China to copy Novak any more---they can invest in R&D and tool up their own original motors.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:31 AM
Tech Lord

I'm curious. Let's say that every single component of the motor was 100% made in the USA except for German bearings. Could you say on the package "made in the usa except for the bearings, which are made in Germany" or is the "globally sourced parts" the only option?
Old 09-21-2010, 11:32 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I think some of you guys are forgetting there is no "copyright infringement" in China.

If they see it and want to copy and make it, they can. It looks like a downright copy, but truth of the matter is ( unfortunately ) I don't think Novak can do much about it.

Now if the company was in the US then it would be a different story.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:33 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I'm curious. Let's say that every single component of the motor was 100% made in the USA except for German bearings. Could you say on the package "made in the usa except for the bearings, which are made in Germany" or is the "globally sourced parts" the only option?
You could say assembled in the USA.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:08 PM
Company Representative

There is no easy way to discover where every component originates----if we could be certain, then such terminology might be acceptable. I believe "globally sourced parts/components" covers all possibilities, and may be the only long-term description that covers all current, and future, contingencies.

This is required of CA mfgs, only, including all mfgs who ship into CA. This entire snafu is the result of a judicial decision, not (AFAIK) legislation.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:10 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by Metalsoft
You could say assembled in the USA.
I often say assembled/manufactured in Irvine, CA....It doesn't get much more specific, unless I include our street address!
Old 09-21-2010, 01:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

I think all that anybody here really cares about is that the "important" bits are done here. If you're cutting the shafts, casting the magnets and doing the winding and soldering yourself, then you're essentially in control of the overall quality and reliability of the product. Those are the tricky bits, and the bits that a knockoff company is going to cheap out on. The bearings are also important, but considering that some of the best bearings in the world come from Japan and Germany, I wouldn't be ashamed to admit to outsourcing them to a reputable factory.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.