Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
How to charge NiMH AA batteries in a KO EX-10 helios? >

How to charge NiMH AA batteries in a KO EX-10 helios?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to charge NiMH AA batteries in a KO EX-10 helios?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 03:23 PM
Tech Addict

Default How to charge NiMH AA batteries in a KO EX-10 helios?

Is there a way to charge the AA batteries I use in my EX-10 Helios without removing them from the battery pack that goes into the radio? I notice that there is a charging plug on the back of the radio, can I use that? I notice that KO Propo doesn't advise (states don't do it) to recharge NiMH batteries this way but to use a rechargeable battery pack. So, how do I charge these batteries without buying a AA specific charger?
Old 08-20-2010, 05:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dredd
Is there a way to charge the AA batteries I use in my EX-10 Helios without removing them from the battery pack that goes into the radio? I notice that there is a charging plug on the back of the radio, can I use that? I notice that KO Propo doesn't advise (states don't do it) to recharge NiMH batteries this way but to use a rechargeable battery pack. So, how do I charge these batteries without buying a AA specific charger?
My charger will not charge the batteries thru the charging jack. I believe it has something to do with some type of internal circuitry within the radio most likely a diode. But the real reason you don't want to charge thru the charging jack is that the internal wiring can not handle very much current. the only thing that is recommended is a wall charger that charges at a very slow rate.
You don't want to run the risk of burning up the internal wiring or even the circuit board inside the radio.

Pass you soon...
Old 08-20-2010, 08:56 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by lil-bump
My charger will not charge the batteries thru the charging jack. I believe it has something to do with some type of internal circuitry within the radio most likely a diode. But the real reason you don't want to charge thru the charging jack is that the internal wiring can not handle very much current. the only thing that is recommended is a wall charger that charges at a very slow rate.
You don't want to run the risk of burning up the internal wiring or even the circuit board inside the radio.

Pass you soon...
SO even if I do 1A it won't go? I have an adapter for my charger that goes from the banana plugs to the radio. You say don't use that?
Old 08-20-2010, 09:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I just pull mine from the radio (still in the black holder thing) and hook my charger leads up to the positive and negetive leads and charge it at 1amp It would be nice to charge them in the radio but this method isn't half bad.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dredd
SO even if I do 1A it won't go? I have an adapter for my charger that goes from the banana plugs to the radio. You say don't use that?
Correct don't do it. the only charger that should be used with the charging jack is the KO wall charger.

Pass you soon...