Wiki Posts
Search

To whom it may concern.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)
Default To whom it may concern.....

I searched for a thread reguarding sensored motors and sensorless ESC's a few days ago looking to see if I could run a sensored motor with my Mamba Monster and came across a thread with the same question and someone said you could run it and it would act the same as a sensorless. DON'T EFFING DO IT! I just fried my brand new Mamba Monster ESC because you didn't know what the hell you were talking about. DO NOT RUN SENSORED MOTORS WITH SENSORLESS ESC'S. You better make damn sure you know what your talking about before you post something up.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Explain how a sensorless motor is any different from a sensored motor with the sensor cable unplugged. I don't see how this fried your ESC. I think you had a bad ESC or there is something else wrong.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:57 PM
Tech Regular

I don't know, made sense to me but when I called castle they said it's way different and when I tried to reverse it locked up and overloaded the esc.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Something else went wrong with your speedo (not uncommon in 1/8th scale). I have seen plenty of people run Tekin motors on their Castle MMM esc's.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I always thought the sensor is there to prevent clogging.

Sensor based motors are most often used in applications where the starting torque varies greatly or where a high initial torque is required, such as in a RC car. ..blah blah.... Sensored brushless ESC motor systems always know the position of the rotor. This is especially critical at low speed as well as at the start condition when there is no rotor movement. With the proper rotor position information, the ESC can apply power to the correct rotor phase combination.
What motor were u using?

Last edited by skyblueblue; 08-21-2010 at 02:41 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I run sensored motors on my Castle Mamba and Sidewinder esc's and have had absolutely no problem whatsoever. Been doing it for over 2 years now.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by dont slow down
I searched for a thread reguarding sensored motors and sensorless ESC's a few days ago looking to see if I could run a sensored motor with my Mamba Monster and came across a thread with the same question and someone said you could run it and it would act the same as a sensorless. DON'T EFFING DO IT! I just fried my brand new Mamba Monster ESC because you didn't know what the hell you were talking about. DO NOT RUN SENSORED MOTORS WITH SENSORLESS ESC'S. You better make damn sure you know what your talking about before you post something up.
did u read the manual that comes with the mamba monster by any chance?

if not , its right here

http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...s_ed_guide.pdf

if you turn to page 10 of the manual it shows you how to wire up the mamba monster for brushed motors
Old 08-21-2010, 05:44 AM
Tech Regular

I am currently running a sensorless ESC and a sensored ballistic motor.
mine runs great. I did look up the specs on the motor before I did this though and the spec sheet clearly stats that this motor can be run sensored or sensorless.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:36 AM
Tech Regular

I was using a Novak HV sensored motor. Nothing in the manual said it wouldn't work with a sensored motor. I wired it up like it showed, I drove it for about 5 min but when I tried using reverse, everything went dead.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stinger30
did u read the manual that comes with the mamba monster by any chance?

if not , its right here

http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...s_ed_guide.pdf

if you turn to page 10 of the manual it shows you how to wire up the mamba monster for brushed motors
And yet, this discussion is not about brushed motors. Go read post 1 again.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

It had to be your ESC, I've been running a Novak HV 4.5 motor with my Mamba Max for over a year now, and I haven't had any issues at all. You can run a sensored motor with a sensorless esc. It just won't be as smooth at low speeds like a sensored combo will be.