Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
I have NiMH batteries, is there really a point to going to LiPO >

I have NiMH batteries, is there really a point to going to LiPO

I have NiMH batteries, is there really a point to going to LiPO

Old 08-13-2010, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Right on Duster, Im glad you mentioned the connector as well, I forgot to mention that. The down side to getting lipos at a reasonable price is that they rarely come with your connector of choice. But if you price lipos with your favorite connector you might go into shock.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hey Guys,

I think I have the math correct but I want to get this confirmed. I just got the Novak 17.5T 2200kV Brushless system for my Tamiya TRF201 I just got. One the Novak spec page it says it has a 130watt rating for that ESC/Motor.

SO going by that, I know a 2P Lipo is 7.4 volts, that would tell me the system would pull roughly 18amps, thats 130watts/7.4V = 17.5675amps.

SO if this logic is correct, I should be able to get a 5000mah 20C Lipo (100amp) and be fine, HOWEVER if I went with a 5000mah 25C (125amp) or 5000mah 30C (150amp) Lipo, it would be even better because the Lipo is rated for more than the brushless system will ever pull.

Do I have this right our did I just really fudge my math? I'm almost positive my math is screwed up here so any help would be great!

Thanks
Disjaukifa
Old 08-15-2010, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I never trust those ratings to be a true peak measurement of what you will see in the real world. Of course the 17.5 is a mild setup and does not use much current, but you will surely want batteries capable of some high bursts. 100A batteries will be more than enough for your Tamiya, any more may give slight punch increases, but it wont be much.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:24 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by burnineyes
I never trust those ratings to be a true peak measurement of what you will see in the real world. Of course the 17.5 is a mild setup and does not use much current, but you will surely want batteries capable of some high bursts. 100A batteries will be more than enough for your Tamiya, any more may give slight punch increases, but it wont be much.
Actually I just saw that the ESC is rated for 120amps, so I would want at the minimum 5000mah 20c, but more like anything over 25C for 5000mah right?

I just want to make sure I can run the batteries and the Lipos not get very hot

-Disjaukifa
Old 08-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Tech Regular

Ended up ordering this Lipo: Venom 5000mah 30C Hard Case Lipo for my TRF201.

Thank you guys for all the information, I truly do appreciate it. I just hope Lipo's don't disappoint me!

-Disjaukifa