R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 08-10-2010, 03:48 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default EZRun 60A brushless ESC with 3 cell lipo trouble

Hi guys,

I've been running this ESC (EZRun 60A brushless) with 8.5T brushless motor for a while with no issues whatsoever on 2cell lipos. However I recently bought a new 3 cell lipo to try this out. I know that the ESC is supposed to be compatible with 3 cell lipos and that I needed to just rewire the fan to the receiver to supply 5V.

However when I connect my ESC to a 3cell lipo battery it briefly flashes on and then switches off and remains unresponsive. Plug it straight back into a 2cell lipo and it works perfectly. The 3 cell lipo in question is brand new, and all cells are balanced, fully charged. I've run a couple of balanced charge and discharge cycles to check the battery wasn't faulty and can only assume there is a problem with the ESC.

Anyone else have this problem? There doesn't seem to be a way to "SET" the ESC to detect 3 cell lipo. I am assuming it is set to auto detect number of cells and that you cannot manually select 2 or 3 cells.

Advice?
tyorll84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
Tech Rookie

*bump*

anyone?
tyorll84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
Tech Regular

I have never messed with a EZrun ESC but it sounds like you are on the right track with troubleshooting.

Other than trying a different 3s lipo is there a way to maybe set the ESC back to default settings to be sure its in Auto detect? Maybe have someone at the LHS put your 3s in another rc to be sure its not the lipo?
slackomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:45 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Yeah I'd say try resetting the ESC. When you go into programming mode on the eZRun ESCs I think there's a reset you can do, check the manual. Also try it with another 3S LiPo. If all else fails, try to get a replacement - if you bought it from HobbyPartz they should take it back of you tell them it's defective.
G33Kster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:26 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

With this esc , when running a sensorless 13.5 turn motor this setup seems have no punch at first then 10 feet then it gets full power??? I have looked into the settings and tried a few different options but no luck. Any ideas???
dan-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-o View Post
With this esc , when running a sensorless 13.5 turn motor this setup seems have no punch at first then 10 feet then it gets full power??? I have looked into the settings and tried a few different options but no luck. Any ideas???
What kind of battery do you use? Some batteries will not provide enough amperage for the car to accelerate properly...
G33Kster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:10 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

ITs a good lipo battery, its just weird the way it acts. Like almost a delay before it puts the power down.

BTW not a newbie slipper is not loose and diff is good to go. just a newbie to turnigy 60 esc's.
dan-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #8
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I just got one and it does the same thing but only for 3-4 ft. Actually works kinda like traction control(ok for loose track). I turned the punch all the way up to help with it. Im running a vxl motor.
wadda ya want for $50?
CaptCarnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:08 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 196 (100%+)

If you update the firmware on the 60a it reduces this alot.
Manatarms25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links