R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 08-09-2010, 02:57 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default LRP Quadra 2 or Racers Edge SureCharge 2010 Pro?

I'm currently using a DuraTrax Onyx 230 to charge my 2S lipo's and my NIMH stick packs. I have an external balancer that I use when I charge the Lipo's, and this all seems to work well.

However, I am interested in getting a charger that has an integrated balancer and is also capable of doing discharging. Also with my Kyosho RB5 and SC-R, I have an E-Revo that I use for fun and it uses two battery packs, so it would be nice to have two chargers when I need to charge both packs.

I would prefer a charger that has AC input. I was originally looking at both the Team Orion Twin Spec or the new LRP Pulse Touch Competition charger, but both seem to be D/C only meaning I'd have to pickup a power source too.

The LRP Quadra 2 and the Racers Edge SureCharge 2010 both look very nice and I think would fit the bill well. Do anyone have an opinion on either of these and which might be the better option?

Thanks!
Kuttermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:18 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuttermax View Post
I'm currently using a DuraTrax Onyx 230 to charge my 2S lipo's and my NIMH stick packs. I have an external balancer that I use when I charge the Lipo's, and this all seems to work well.

However, I am interested in getting a charger that has an integrated balancer and is also capable of doing discharging. Also with my Kyosho RB5 and SC-R, I have an E-Revo that I use for fun and it uses two battery packs, so it would be nice to have two chargers when I need to charge both packs.

I would prefer a charger that has AC input. I was originally looking at both the Team Orion Twin Spec or the new LRP Pulse Touch Competition charger, but both seem to be D/C only meaning I'd have to pickup a power source too.

The LRP Quadra 2 and the Racers Edge SureCharge 2010 both look very nice and I think would fit the bill well. Do anyone have an opinion on either of these and which might be the better option?

Thanks!
You could get the new Orion IQ605, it's AC/DC and charges/discharges all battery types. I'm picking one up from AmainHobbies this weekend for $119.99.
Jmuck69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I'd say neither. The days of overpriced car oriented chargers are pretty much over. They always had a big mark-up compared to air oriented chargers. If you insist on an AC/DC charger I'd look at the Hyperion EOS0606I or EOS720I NET 3 AC/DC units. $109 and $179 respectively at allerc.com.

Of course my recommendation is ditch the AC part and get a DC only charger. You get a lot more bang for your buck. You can find a used power supply for cheap or can make one out of a computer power supply.
kcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:11 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcobra View Post
I'd say neither. The days of overpriced car oriented chargers are pretty much over. They always had a big mark-up compared to air oriented chargers. If you insist on an AC/DC charger I'd look at the Hyperion EOS0606I or EOS720I NET 3 AC/DC units. $109 and $179 respectively at allerc.com.

Of course my recommendation is ditch the AC part and get a DC only charger. You get a lot more bang for your buck. You can find a used power supply for cheap or can make one out of a computer power supply.
I would have to agree…

I used a Racers Edge surcharge 2000 only a few times and I found that it was not going to meet my demand. It was only 50W and couldn’t even charged my 4 cell 5000Mah batts at 1C.. 3.2 amps to be exact. So it took close to 2 hours to peak…So I sold it and picked up an icharger and power supply…close to 2C @10 amps and has my new 5400 mah batts done in 45 minutes…

For the price of the LRP or RE2010…it’s simply not a good deal..Go with something with more juice and never look back
MasiisaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:18 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

It looks like DC is the way to go.

Looking at the options, the ProTEC 106B seems like a good option. Since I don't run my NIMH packs that often, I am looking for something that makes discharging them and them charging up to 50% easy. Most of the time the charger will be used to charge my 2S Lipos.

The Protec Super Pro 40 powersupply looks good, but a little pricey. It would allow me to hook up both my DuraTrax 230 and the ProTek, and still be able to plug in a DC powered pit lamp (important as our local tracks races under the lights on Saturdays).

Also - my Lipos at Thunder Power "Pro Race" 2s that have a Thunder Power balance connector. Would the ProTEC 106B need a seperate adaptor?
Old 08-10-2010, 07:10 AM   #6
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Yes, you would need a diff balance board to be compatible with your TPs lipos. TP uses a diff balance connector. This should be the one -

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ght-Power-Losi

The balance block on the side of the 106b is for the JST style connectors. The linked balance board has a cable that will plug in the balance block and you'll plug the TP connector into the adapter board.

The Super Pro PS is a little mor ethan you need for the 106b, def run it, but you don't need 520watts to run a 250watt charger. If you want to run multiple devices, get a distribution box and the Pro 40. You could prob run 106b just fine with the Pro 20 unless you're planning on taxing the charger's full 250watt output.
Duster_360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:12 AM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster_360 View Post
Yes, you would need a diff balance board to be compatible with your TPs lipos. TP uses a diff balance connector. This should be the one -

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ght-Power-Losi

The balance block on the side of the 106b is for the JST style connectors. The linked balance board has a cable that will plug in the balance block and you'll plug the TP connector into the adapter board.

The Super Pro PS is a little mor ethan you need for the 106b, def run it, but you don't need 520watts to run a 250watt charger. If you want to run multiple devices, get a distribution box and the Pro 40. You could prob run 106b just fine with the Pro 20 unless you're planning on taxing the charger's full 250watt output.
Thanks for all your help. I went ahead and ordered the 106b, the balance board and the Super Pro PS. I saved a bit on the charger and this way my power supply should be "future proof". The Pro 40 wasn't that much cheaper. This way I can run both the 106b and my Onyx 230 at the same time off of it and not need the seperate distribution box.

Hopefully UPS 3 day select gets it here in time for racing this weekend!

Thanks again!
Old 08-10-2010, 08:41 AM   #8
Tech Lord

AMain is good about getting orders moving, I get my stuff in 3days every time. Take a little time and dnload the manual and read it, its a great charger, does a world of work, has a lot of features. That way, you'll be ready to setup and start charging when it arrives. Manual is here as well as a lot of info -

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839657

Good luck this weekend!
Old 08-10-2010, 05:25 PM   #9
Tech Regular

You won’t be disappointed ,,Great little charger….I love mine..

And don’t forget the:

The iCharger also supports the “Open Format” data of the “logview” software and can display, plot and analyze the charge and discharge data by it. (See detail information about logview in the following website, http://www.logview.info) The software for updating the charger via the USB port is available here, and the instructions are available here.

The logview is fun..and when I got mine just a few weeks ago there was an update for the software..So just check that out and you should be good to go
MasiisaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:49 AM   #10
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasiisaM View Post
You won’t be disappointed ,,Great little charger….I love mine..

And don’t forget the:

The iCharger also supports the “Open Format” data of the “logview” software and can display, plot and analyze the charge and discharge data by it. (See detail information about logview in the following website, http://www.logview.info) The software for updating the charger via the USB port is available here, and the instructions are available here.

The logview is fun..and when I got mine just a few weeks ago there was an update for the software..So just check that out and you should be good to go
Thanks. Will be fun trying this out.

UPS tracking says the charger and power supply should arrive tomorrow - just in time for the weekend.

Saturday will also be the first time I get my new Kyosho SC-R out on the track - finished building it last night and just need to drop in the electronics tonight. Should be a fun weekend.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:08 AM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Update and new question:

I received the charger and got it hooked up. I topped off my Thunder Power 2S packs using the "Balance - Auto" mode. The balance board hooked up easily. It took me a minute to realize that I needed to hook up both the balance connector and the main connecter. With my Onyx 230 I would charge just through the balance connector. Everything worked fine. Unfortunately we got a big rain storm and the racing was wiped out so I didn't get out to the track.

However the rainy whether resulted in me decided to upgrade my E-Revo to brushless. Along with ordering the BL conversion kit, I ordered a pair of MaxAmps Lipo 6000XL 11.1V with Traxxas connectors and TP balance taps.

http://maxamps.com/proddetail.php?pr...O-Pair&cat=257

I'd like to be able to balance charge these two packs at the same time with the 106b+ but I'm a little confused on how to set this up correctly. Any links to wiring diagrams etc.?

It looks like I would need these items to charge in parallel:

http://www.progressiverc.com/index.p...emart&Itemid=1

And the 3s version of: http://www.progressiverc.com/index.p...emart&Itemid=1

Last edited by Kuttermax; 08-16-2010 at 08:27 AM. Reason: additional information
Old 08-16-2010, 06:39 PM   #12
Tech Lord

Its straight forward - you're going to charge 2 3S lipos in parallel, It will be like charging a sinlge 3S but with 12000mah capacity. Your charger is limited to 10amps so thats what you'll charge at.

The parallel charing adapter you linked (trx connectors) will plug into the charger's power outputs. The balance adapter will plug into the 3S port in the balance block on the side of the charger. Follow the chargers connection sequence and plug in both lipos and then attach the balance wiring.

This is same thinbg, but he's charging 6 instead of two -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NczQwVTI2bY

That is Dave Grey in the vid - he runs Progressive RC, its a 206b, but the connections are the same, just do what he's doing.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:20 AM   #13
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Its straight forward - you're going to charge 2 3S lipos in parallel, It will be like charging a sinlge 3S but with 12000mah capacity. Your charger is limited to 10amps so thats what you'll charge at.

The parallel charing adapter you linked (trx connectors) will plug into the charger's power outputs. The balance adapter will plug into the 3S port in the balance block on the side of the charger. Follow the chargers connection sequence and plug in both lipos and then attach the balance wiring.

This is same thinbg, but he's charging 6 instead of two -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NczQwVTI2bY

That is Dave Grey in the vid - he runs Progressive RC, its a 206b, but the connections are the same, just do what he's doing.
Great - thanks. That's what I was thinking after I got the cables figures out.

By using this method, with the balance connectors, is there any down side as opposed to charging them seperately?
Old 08-17-2010, 04:43 PM   #14
Tech Lord

In parallel, you'll only see 2 'cells' on the balancer, not 4 cells like you are charging (with a pair of 2S lipos in parallel). Now as soon as you connect the lipos in parallel, they will equalize, so the cells are all at the same voltage in a given lipo, so this may be a moot point.

If you have a weak cell among these 4, it will get carried and averaged in basically. I'd rather see all 4 individual cells, but if cells are in good shape, its not really any different. I guess you can tell from the voltages shown for the 2 connected 'cells' whats going on enough to see there may be a prob if there is one.

I've seen the testing about connecting the lipos with as high a difference in voltage as possible and there is quite a current flow into the lower voltage lipo. Just try to start with them at similar voltages before connectiong for charging.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:35 PM   #15
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
In parallel, you'll only see 2 'cells' on the balancer, not 4 cells like you are charging (with a pair of 2S lipos in parallel). Now as soon as you connect the lipos in parallel, they will equalize, so the cells are all at the same voltage in a given lipo, so this may be a moot point.

If you have a weak cell among these 4, it will get carried and averaged in basically. I'd rather see all 4 individual cells, but if cells are in good shape, its not really any different. I guess you can tell from the voltages shown for the 2 connected 'cells' whats going on enough to see there may be a prob if there is one.

I've seen the testing about connecting the lipos with as high a difference in voltage as possible and there is quite a current flow into the lower voltage lipo. Just try to start with them at similar voltages before connecting for charging.
Thanks, that's helpful.

The packs I'm getting are brand new from Maxamps, so hopefully the two packs should be pretty much the same. My plan is to just go ahead and charge them in parallel right at the start and always run them together (E-revo) and then "rinse and repeat". That should keep them in pretty similar shape.
Sponsored Links