R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 07-28-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Old school RCer needs more schooling.

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this site and was looking for updated info. I was heavy into RC cars, boats & helicopters back in the mid 80s. I got out of the hobby about 20 years ago. (makes me feel old) I have very limited knowledge of brushless motors and speed controls. I am working on a project that requires a brushless motor about the size of a brushed 540. I want to run it between 12v - 24v. Most likely 12v or 18v. It must be able to go in forward and reverse. I saw some inexpensive controllers on ebay but they say forward OR reverse. Does that mean it is one or the other but not either direction? Is there a site that explains all about motors and controllers? I need to find a very cheap motor and controller for testing. Does the kv number represent the power output? Just an FYI the motor will be run from a power supply not a battery. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dennis.
Neptune769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:05 AM   #2
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If the escs you've looked at are typical, the esc will have optioon for FWD and reverse and then for racing where reverse is not allowed, an option thats fwd only.

KV is the motor rpm per volt (usually unloaded) so if you're looking at running 18v and the kv is 3000, the unloaded rpm will be 18 x 3000 = 54,000rpm. RPM will be less than that under load.
Duster_360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

Thank you Duster

I am trying to figure all this stuff out. Reading what I can. I guess allot of the problem is that I'm not sure what I need for motor & controller. I am working on thrusters for a ROV. I need to turn a boat propeller that is between 60mm - 80mm. I appreciate your input.
Neptune769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:53 AM   #4
Super Moderator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

This is one boating site that may be helpful:

http://offshoreelectrics.com/

I know there are others obviously, but this is the only one I can remember right now.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote