Wiki Posts
Search

****HELP**** New Lipo and charger says no battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default ****HELP**** New Lipo and charger says no battery

I just bought a 4000 mah 3S lipo today at my LHS. Hooked it up to one of my Hyperion 606 chargers and it says no battery. I tried the other Hyperion 606 and it said the same thing. Anyone know what the deal is?????
Old 07-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

What is the voltage??

I'm guessing its lower that th e3v/cell (9v for 3S) that the charger requires. Do you have a DVM/MM you can check the voltage with? You can also check the individual cell voltages thru the balance connector from the exposed metal contacts on the back of the connector. If I'm guessing right, you've prob got a low voltage cell.

Was expecting to hear back from you with more detail, but....So just in case you do look in again, since this is a new lipo, take it back to the LHS and tell them you want a 3S that is over 9v so the charger will charge it. Lipos comes partially charged and after sitting a long time, the voltage will get too low (minimum lipo voltage is 3v/cell so for a 2S thats 6v, 3S its 9v) and due to safety concerns lipo chargers won't charge lipo when its below minimum voltage. Get another one and take your dvm with you - or make them measure it there in the lhs so you don't get another 'bad' one. Charge it before you try to use it. Good luck!

Last edited by Duster_360; 07-03-2010 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Added more...
Old 07-03-2010, 08:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Nope, I hooked it up to my cell spy and 2 cells are at 3.7 and 1 cell is at 3.8. I called a friend of mine and he thinks it is the connector itself. He said that he has had a few packs in the past where they put bad connectors from the factory and after he swapped connectors it would charge fine.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Soon as you start messing with the connectors, most warranties go out the door. It might be easier to take it back and sit there until you find a good one without going to the trouble of changing the connectors - unless you had planned/needed to change them anyway, then its a so what.