Wiki Posts
Search

I am stumped.....HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 05:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default I am stumped.....HELP!!!

I will try my best to explain this situation. I have a 2wd buggy with a Tekin RS ESC, Spektrum radio and receiver and a couple servos....thats the issue.

My system worked good with a slower HiTec servo, but I decided to upgrade to a faster servo. I installed the servo and when I turned it one direction it would glitch back and forth like crazy and not hold the desired direction. If I turned it the other direction it would hold until I released the steering wheel. I thought this was odd, so I took it back and got a different servo, installed it and the same thing happened. I thought it may be my receiver so I switched that out for a new one and it still does it. I plugged a different ESC to it and it still did it. I rebinded the receiver and radio multiple times. Here is the kicker though...when I put the older slower servo back in there were no issues whatsoever. When the faster servo is freaking out, the green light on the receiver is flashing as if it maybe not able to hold the voltage that it needs, yet this does not happen with the other servo.

I even resoldered the capacitor to make sure that wasn't the issue. About 6 months ago I popped a Capicitor when I cross polarized the wires, but the ESC has worked since then and I have driven a ton.

I could always just keep the older servo, but I know I should be able to upgrade.

Ideas??????? Thoughts???????? Experiences????????? All are appreciated as this has frustrated me beyond belief. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

try using the 4 AA battery holder that usually comes with the Spektrum radios and plug it into the batt slot. If the problem goes away then it's the esc.

The better servo is most likely pulling more amps than the esc can handle since the capacitor problem.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Great tip. I did what you said and it works perfectly. I do have a new capacitor on there, but maybe is it something inside?? Are my only options a new $180 ESC??
Old 06-17-2010, 11:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

$20 external bec will fix the problem

Bypass the esc's internal bec and power the reciever / servo directly from the batteries

Check the castle website for instructions on their ccbec

Common problem that heaps of people face

Cheers
Old 06-18-2010, 08:32 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This will most likely fix your problem. Fixed the same problem for me.

Spektrum Voltage Protector. Search at amainhobbies.com. Will not let me post link.