Community
Wiki Posts
Search

belt cp v2 speed control help

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 08:23 AM
Tech Rookie

Default belt cp v2 speed control help

now i wana buy a rc helicopter and this belt im looking at is really good exept apparently everyone sais its got a really cheap esc (speed control) which burns out fast and sometimes busts into flames!

i want to upgrade the esc from a 25a (the cheap one) to a 30a or 40a

when i attach the new esc do i also need to attach another BEC or...just keep the old BEC

------
if anyone else has this heli let me know what they think of it
Thanks
Old 06-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

BEC should be built into the ESC you buy. HOWEVER, it's a good idea to run a seperate BEC... Here's why.

Most all the ESC's have linar BEC's that bleed off excess voltage(as HEAT) to give you regulated 5v(or so) there for work harder as you increase input voltage... in this case 11.1v(3's lipo) You're ESC will run hotter if you use the built in BEC.

Most built in BEC's in the smaller Amp ESC's out put 1.5A or so... this is asking alot from the built in BEC since you're driving 4 servo's and the gyro.

If something happens to the ESC during flight it will likely take the BEC with it... Auto rotation is only doable IF you have servo control, a seperate BEC will give you this control

Bottom line...I don't fly ANYTHING electric without at least a seperate 3a SWITCH MODE BEC hooked directly to the deans plug on the ESC I use 3A switch mode BEC's on all 3 of my t-rex 450's.

If you do use a seperate BEC pull the RED power wire from your ESC receiver plug... this is will disable the onboard BEC.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Tech Rookie

woudl you recommend me putting on this?

Hobbywing Pentium 40A Brushless ESC With BEC 3A x1 (from ebay)

please let me know
Old 06-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Tech Adept

I've used a few Hobbywing ESC's with no issues... so, yes it should do fine and at 40a will give you lots of head room if your using the stock esky 3500kv heli motor... mine drew around 20a at full pitch.

I'm guessing the BEC is seperate? does it say if it's switch mode? if so 3a will be fine... thats what I run using 4 digital servos and a 401 gyro.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:54 PM
Tech Rookie

\/

Last edited by merdelhuck; 06-07-2010 at 03:45 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:36 AM
Tech Rookie

ohh and forgot to say
that Hobbywing Pentium 40A Brushless ESC With BEC 3A x1
how do i know if it comes with seperate BEC?

and what is the importance of having the switch one?

----------------
update*

im just going to buy the 2 completely seperate now so i know im getting them seperate

first one im getting is:
RC Mystery 40A ESC Brushless Motor Speed Controller Heli NO BEC

and i have 2 becs to choose from:
TURNIGY 3A SBEC BEC w/ Noise Reduction Switchmode

and
RC UBEC BEC device Switch Mode 5v 6v 3A Max 5A NEW

are they noisy or not cuz i can buy turnigy bec with noise reduction for a few extra dollars

Ubec wieghs 6grams less than other bec

let me know what you think and are they compatable with the belt cp v2 (i think they are)

Last edited by merdelhuck; 06-07-2010 at 03:46 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:29 AM
Tech Adept

The mystery ESC should be fine...never used one myself though. Either BEC will do...I've used the turnigy with no issues and noise reduction is never a bad thing. You want switch mode over linear because it's more efficient and produces little to no heat.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:41 AM
Tech Rookie

ahh ok thank go your back on ..ive been checking the forum all day cuz your the only one that replies

i have so many questions cuz im a new noob now at this 6ch
im getting it tomorrow and wont fly it until i get the parts
(mayby a quick hover)

when i install these 2 new things i just remove the old esc and find a place for the new?

where do you think i could put the bec since its not built in?

does the stock esc have a built in bec aswell?
Old 06-07-2010, 06:18 AM
Tech Adept

Not sure if esky has changed things since I owned a belt cp but the stock ESC should have a 1.5a built in linear BEC.

So this is your first heli? Any time on a simulator? I'm guessing you have no heli flyer's around to help? Let me tell you flying helis is not easy...if they aren't set up right it's near impossible to fly one.

Without some help and simulator time your first hover will be short and expensive.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:31 AM
Tech Rookie

my first time with a 6ch (which ill take slow and steady)

ive flown 4chs alot aswell as the old 3chs

i got a walkera 5#10
and a blade mcx (just for fun around the home)

im just new to this esc and bec thing but im learning heaps from you

just a shame they come with that fault

i just realised you said this before:
"If you do use a seperate BEC pull the RED power wire from your ESC receiver plug... this is will disable the onboard BEC."

since im taking out the esc (which has built in bec) so there wont be a old bec in there do i still have to disconnect this red wire?

you also said "Auto rotation is only doable IF you have servo control, a seperate BEC will give you this control"

why is auto rotation needed..is that for 3d?

you wouldnt happen to have a msn or somthing which i could get to you a bit quicker if your online instead of forums do you?

Last edited by merdelhuck; 06-07-2010 at 06:57 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:58 AM
Tech Adept

Good to hear this is not your first heli...your first hover will probably go just fine. I'm sorry I don't use any of the chat programs...head over to helifreaks.com ...more info than one could soak up in a month of just searching and reading
Old 06-07-2010, 07:04 AM
Tech Adept

I'm at work posting from my blackberry...it's a real PIA so I'll answer your questions in a few hours when I get home and on a real computer.

John
Old 06-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Tech Adept

i just realised you said this before:
"If you do use a seperate BEC pull the RED power wire from your ESC receiver plug... this is will disable the onboard BEC."

since im taking out the esc (which has built in bec) so there wont be a old bec in there do i still have to disconnect this red wire?
You will not need to pull the red wire as long as the ESC you buy is like you say it is and has NO onboard BEC. pulling the red wire disables the ESC's built in BEC( if it has one) you want to do this only if your running a seperate BEC.

you also said "Auto rotation is only doable IF you have servo control, a seperate BEC will give you this control"

why is auto rotation needed..is that for 3d?

Unlike what you have flown up to now the belt cp will auto rotate if you loose power to the rotor. lets say you're ESC blows up in flight and stops powering the motor... on a fixed pitch, coax or even a cp without the one way bearing installed in the main gear you're going down hard. With CP AND auto rotation you decrease pitch to the blades to conserve the energy still in the rotor disk, glide so to speak down to where you would normally start adding pitch to control decent by using the built up energy in the rotor disk, pull pitch flare and land softly and no it not as easy as it may sound

Spend some time over at helifreaks... there are video tutorials and a wealth of info you SHOULD read and take advantage of before you even charge your battery
Old 06-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Tech Rookie

after reading heaps on the other site ive just decided to go with a
Hobbywing ESC Pentium-40A Brushless

its a all in one but has a switch bec
i wont be doing more than 1 flight an hour..mayby a couple a day so it should be 100% ok

are they difficult to put on?
i dont want to break a new heli putting this new esc on
Old 06-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Tech Adept

The hobby wing ESC sounds fine with the switch mode BEC on board...I still prefer to have them separate myself... personal preference.

The ESC is fairly simple to install, you'll have to solder on the proper bullet connectors for the motor, a deans or what ever type plug you use for the battery side and then mount it on the heli... a little Velcro and a couple of zip ties is all you need for mounting.

You may need to switch ANY two motor wires if you find the rotor spins backwards... you'll know right away if the motor spins the wrong direction and no you won't hurt anything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.