Wiki Posts
Search

Novak 5.5 HV Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Novak 5.5 HV Problem?

I just purchased a used 5.5 HV motor. I installed it in my hyper 10sc and really seems to be lacking power, both torque and rpm. I am currently using a XERUN 120amp sensored ESC and 2s 25c 5000mah lipos. This ESC has powered other sensorod motors and non sensored motors with zero issues. Also tried with a Traxxas VXL Esc and same issue. I have double checked all the ESC settings and tried the defaults. No noticable difference. None of the wires get hot nor does the motor can . The motor does not cog and seems smooth but just seems to be lacking power.

I took of the front housing to look inside, no signs of burned windings or overheating. One thing I did notice was the rotor magnet seems very weak. In other motors I have took apart, the power of the magnets were extremely powerful. This one seems like a refrigerator magnet.

Any thoughts or advise?

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2010, 09:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by onemilekyle
I just purchased a used 5.5 HV motor. I installed it in my hyper 10sc and really seems to be lacking power, both torque and rpm. I am currently using a XERUN 120amp sensored ESC and 2s 25c 5000mah lipos. This ESC has powered other sensorod motors and non sensored motors with zero issues. Also tried with a Traxxas VXL Esc and same issue. I have double checked all the ESC settings and tried the defaults. No noticable difference. None of the wires get hot nor does the motor can . The motor does not cog and seems smooth but just seems to be lacking power.

I took of the front housing to look inside, no signs of burned windings or overheating. One thing I did notice was the rotor magnet seems very weak. In other motors I have took apart, the power of the magnets were extremely powerful. This one seems like a refrigerator magnet.

Any thoughts or advise?

Thanks!
What gearing are you using?

Mine is geared at a 15, if the rotor seemed very easy to remove, the rotor might need to be replaced.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Sunderlage
What gearing are you using?

Mine is geared at a 15, if the rotor seemed very easy to remove, the rotor might need to be replaced.
Tried from 13-16T to make sure it wasnt the gearing. Even at 13 is just didnt seem to have get up and go. The traxxas vxl would win in a drag race if you had two identical trucks.

The rotor was abnormally easy to remove. The VXL rotor rips out of your fingers when placing it inside of the can. This one, not so much.

Unless I'm missing something, this motor should be stupidly powerful compared to a 540 canned motor correcto-mundo?
Old 05-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Sounds like the previous owner over heated the motor repeatedly to lose that much magnetism on the rotor. Rotor is dead.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Sounds like you are running only on 2s?

The 5.5 HV (High Voltage) will only produce lots of power if you run it on a 4s LiPo, or 2 x 2s LiPos in series.

It will run fine on 2s, but it won't seem as powerful as the VXL setup unless you get it on 4s.

Note the XERUN 200 will only do up to 3s.