R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 04-17-2011, 03:07 AM   #1081
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (90%+)
Send a message via MSN to QuangVuong

Reprogramming the GT3B
First thing is that youll need a STM8S board which costs about $15.

Buy it from here: http://au.element14.com/stmicroelect...ger/dp/1775251 Its the only place in Australia that has them locally.

Then you desolder points SB1 and SB2 Or snap the board in 2.

Then it'll look like this

Or snap along this line. Better to cut it

On my radio, I soldered a 4 pin matrix board(aka 4 way header) to the 4 holes. It saves time from soldering and desoldering the wires. I can just use a 4 port servo plug.

This is how you wire up the radio to the board. Notice how the wires are the same way. Take notice of the positioning.

Ok download the ST Visual Develop software here: http://www.st.com/internet/com/SOFTW.../sttoolset.zip

Open up the programmer after youve installed it
Make sure you have these settings

File then save - save your original file, so you can restore your radio if anything goes wrong.

Then go to file and open. Then find the modified flash software. This can be found at:
http://cs.mff.cuni.cz/~semerad/GT3B/
or
https://github.com/semerad/gt3b/tree/master/Releases

It should load up like so. Then go to program, then This tab

Then it has a progress bar and there will be a message at the bottom saying that it was successful. So I fixed the trim(up to 99 now instead of 30) and added more EPA for more steering lock. without the need of any mods to the chassis.

Theses were my mods: fixed expo, trims set to +-99, 9.6v low voltage, 1 min backlight and 200% max EPA.

Please check out the list on page 99 or 200, for more people who offer this reprogramming service.

CS'd Yokomo MR4TC-BD 67% - Reedy Stockstar and Novak GT7 - Bluebird BMS-630MG - GT3B
CS'd Tamiya TA-05F(Fijon) 100% - EZrun 9T 35A Brushless System - Futaba BLS451 - GT3B

Last edited by QuangVuong; 02-20-2012 at 02:18 AM.
QuangVuong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:07 PM   #1082
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Anyone stateside reprogramming these radios? I'd be interested for the right price.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:09 PM   #1083
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by csrcxd View Post
Firefox, do you happen to locate in Kansas..? I don't think "Ks." normally stand for kansas, but if it is...

BTW, would anyone explain what was wrong with the Expo feature? How does it not work? I tested mine, and does change how much servo travels at different degree of knob turning. What am I missing?
Yep !
Old 04-18-2011, 12:04 AM   #1084
Tech Rookie

Can you do your best to help me?
Old 04-18-2011, 03:28 AM   #1085
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox View Post
Yep !
Then, may i know which city? I would be totally willing to pay for your work on my chip ;D
csrcxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:54 AM   #1086
Tech Fanatic

How to is up! First post this page.

CS'd Yokomo MR4TC-BD 67% - Reedy Stockstar and Novak GT7 - Bluebird BMS-630MG - GT3B
CS'd Tamiya TA-05F(Fijon) 100% - EZrun 9T 35A Brushless System - Futaba BLS451 - GT3B
Old 04-18-2011, 04:38 AM   #1087
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This unit is back in stock at Hobby King! $28.99.

But it is at Singapore warehouse, not USA warehouse

H0bby Partz told me they would have it in their USA warehouse within 2 weeks.

"A girls legs are her best friends, but the best of friends must part." Redd Foxx
Robs Pics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:39 AM   #1088
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuangVuong View Post
Thank you, I will try that myself and probably offer this service to USA people

"A girls legs are her best friends, but the best of friends must part." Redd Foxx
Robs Pics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:31 PM   #1089
Tech Apprentice

I have successfully programmed mine by using the file that was posted a while back that just showed the different lines that needed changed. I don't understand what I changed. I don't have the 200 epoint though. Mine already has an issue when epoint is at 120 and I turn all the way to the right the throttle goes full open. Maybe that will go away with a file someone else could possible provide me.

If you have a tried and true file could you please email me a copy. I use hotmail.com and my username is fixitrod. it would be very helpful.

Also, if there are any tricks to reading these files or instructions somewhere else I'd like to see how to manipulate them as well and understand what I'm changing.
fixitrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:36 PM   #1090
Tech Apprentice

Default Fixed my Communication Error from STM8 Programmer

when connecting my board I had to use 3 of 4 wires or my transmitter would keep shutting off as soon as I hit transfer. I had to remove the wire that is closest to the three buttons on the transmitter. When looking at the transmitter there are 4 holes. It's the one furthest to the right if you're holding it like you are driving. After disconnecting that, breaking the board, and turning on the controller like normal it all worked.
fixitrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #1091
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

QuangVuong,

Good job on figuring this out. Can you send me the custom firmware with the Trim, End Point , and EXP fix/mod? PM me for email. Thank you. Or if you could put it up on MediaFire or whatever online Free File Hosting...that would be even better
Mataleao9380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:21 PM   #1092
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuangVuong View Post
Hi everyone,

New on the forum. Ive decided to register because Im amazed with all that you guys have done with this transmitter.
Special thanks to PSX and QuangVuong for the how to, its really good!
Id like to mod my firmware as you did specially to get working expo, higher trim values and longer backlight time but is there any chance to get the file with the new firmware modified?
If anyone could do that Id go for the STM8 board to do it myself.

Thanks
davidpcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:45 PM   #1093
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

"I will offer a service which I will reprogram the radio to whatever settings you want.
Theses were my mods: fixed expo, trims set to +-99, 9.6v low voltage, 1 min backlight and 200% max EPA. It will cost $5 per radio."

Hi grat that you can work with the GTB3
I would sugest a lower EPA # no use for 200% may cause damage to servos from people who do not know what they are doing... 150% is a better typical setting or 120%

Also the trims 99 is over kill maybe 50 + - is a respectfull setting.

I just trashed my GTB3 and set up a KO mars R to work with all my boats and RC cars on the GTB 2.4 modual I was sick of all the fiddling around with the GTB3.
reptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:57 PM   #1094
Tech Rookie

Great How To!

HobbyPartz has them and the rx back on the website as of today. Good Luck!!
My last order was cancelled, out-of-stock in 24 hours.
mini702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:11 PM   #1095
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixitrod View Post
I have successfully programmed mine by using the file that was posted a while back that just showed the different lines that needed changed. I don't understand what I changed. I don't have the 200 epoint though. Mine already has an issue when epoint is at 120 and I turn all the way to the right the throttle goes full open. Maybe that will go away with a file someone else could possible provide me.

If you have a tried and true file could you please email me a copy. I use hotmail.com and my username is fixitrod. it would be very helpful.

Also, if there are any tricks to reading these files or instructions somewhere else I'd like to see how to manipulate them as well and understand what I'm changing.
PM'd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixitrod View Post
when connecting my board I had to use 3 of 4 wires or my transmitter would keep shutting off as soon as I hit transfer. I had to remove the wire that is closest to the three buttons on the transmitter. When looking at the transmitter there are 4 holes. It's the one furthest to the right if you're holding it like you are driving. After disconnecting that, breaking the board, and turning on the controller like normal it all worked.
Yeah, I had to break my board for it to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mataleao9380 View Post
QuangVuong,

Good job on figuring this out. Can you send me the custom firmware with the Trim, End Point , and EXP fix/mod? PM me for email. Thank you. Or if you could put it up on MediaFire or whatever online Free File Hosting...that would be even better
PM'd. Ill send to your email cause its easier. And welcome to RCtech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpcastro View Post
Hi everyone,

New on the forum. Ive decided to register because Im amazed with all that you guys have done with this transmitter.
Special thanks to PSX and QuangVuong for the how to, its really good!
Id like to mod my firmware as you did specially to get working expo, higher trim values and longer backlight time but is there any chance to get the file with the new firmware modified?
If anyone could do that Id go for the STM8 board to do it myself.

Thanks
No worries, but you also forgot Firefox. PM'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptile View Post
"I will offer a service which I will reprogram the radio to whatever settings you want.
Theses were my mods: fixed expo, trims set to +-99, 9.6v low voltage, 1 min backlight and 200% max EPA. It will cost $5 per radio."

Hi grat that you can work with the GTB3
I would sugest a lower EPA # no use for 200% may cause damage to servos from people who do not know what they are doing... 150% is a better typical setting or 120%

Also the trims 99 is over kill maybe 50 + - is a respectfull setting.

I just trashed my GTB3 and set up a KO mars R to work with all my boats and RC cars on the GTB 2.4 modual I was sick of all the fiddling around with the GTB3.
Well I guess the 200% EPA is way to much but it gives adjustability. I drift so I want max servo travel. And I know what Im doing. Yeah, Ill leave it stock 120% for others unless they want the 200%.

+-99 trim is just more adjustable. +-50 isnt much of a jump from the +-30 which moved the servo about 1 tooth.

If anyone else wants the file, just PM me with your email and what setttings you want. Thanks

Tags
page 100 for all info