Like Tree4Likes

NEW HOBBYWING STOCK SUPERCHARGED SOFTWARE

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JAM Racing
WOULDNT IT BE BETTER if it went into limp first and then stopped
Stopped car on straight =TRAIN WRECK=UNHAPPY DAYS

im going to try fitting klixons to the outside of the motors to see if we can get an Alarm funcion as opposed to a stopped in the middle of the track WAITING for my cars final days
Stay way under the temperature cutoff just to have some marging or either dissable temperature cutoff.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JAM Racing
WOULDNT IT BE BETTER if it went into limp first and then stopped
Stopped car on straight =TRAIN WRECK=UNHAPPY DAYS

im going to try fitting klixons to the outside of the motors to see if we can get an Alarm funcion as opposed to a stopped in the middle of the track WAITING for my cars final days
No as in limp mode you would damage the esc fets so thats why its just shuts completelty down .
Old 06-05-2011, 11:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Limitations of design and firmware really, I believe ESC's like the GM have multiple soft and hard cuts, for ESC and Motor, meaning it will reduce power before it hits the hard cut, allowing you to get off the track.

Plenty of ESC seem to only have a hard final cut though, I agree it's a bit of a pain, had a few cars at meets lately thermal right on the race line, tragic though unless we are all running $300 speedies not a lot you can do about it.

Personally my ESC of choice is a GM, though in reality I can only afford the HW.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:57 AM
Tech Elite

Its basic knowledge that esc's and motors heat to extreme temps because of excessive gearing,excessive timing which draw massive amounts of current .$300 esc is not going to make any difference to temp unless it can handle massive amounts on current .

when you think of it last years world titles was won with speed passion which is a rebadged hobbywing 120 amp and thats not a $300 esc .If the driver knows his stuff he doesnt have problems with excessive heat .
Old 06-06-2011, 02:23 AM
Tech Adept

We have not yet got any reply, official or otherwise, on why the Xtreme stock has such a lack of brakes, compared with the Xerun 60A especially, and the 120A...
All settings being the same on both radio and ESC, and with the same motor, the Xerun 60A has so much braking that I had to reduce radio ATV to 45%. The Xtreme stock can hardly match that braking power, when the radio ATV is at 100%.
I have tried three different motors, all 17.5T, on both ESC's. Same results...
Old 06-06-2011, 02:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

Originally Posted by steliosh
We have not yet got any reply, official or otherwise, on why the Xtreme stock has such a lack of brakes, compared with the Xerun 60A especially, and the 120A...
All settings being the same on both radio and ESC, and with the same motor, the Xerun 60A has so much braking that I had to reduce radio ATV to 45%. The Xtreme stock can hardly match that braking power, when the radio ATV is at 100%.
I have tried three different motors, all 17.5T, on both ESC's. Same results...
no problems here with my xtreme or brakes...
Old 06-06-2011, 02:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

Originally Posted by COBRARACING
Its basic knowledge that esc's and motors heat to extreme temps because of excessive gearing,excessive timing which draw massive amounts of current .$300 esc is not going to make any difference to temp unless it can handle massive amounts on current .

when you think of it last years world titles was won with speed passion which is a rebadged hobbywing 120 amp and thats not a $300 esc .If the driver knows his stuff he doesnt have problems with excessive heat .

mine ran at 51 degrees by the end of the day...gear ratio was 5.93...im loving the hobbywing combined with the duo1 17.5 thats for sure....think i found the sweet spot...
Old 06-06-2011, 02:50 AM
Tech Elite

I think it's been made fairly clear with hundreds of pages in multiple threads from multiple brands, that a large amount of drivers often barely have a clue (Me included to be fair).

To be clear, from memory the GM's have like everything from multiple soft limits, to current limiting etc, all to stop overheating, and cut off well below the point where damage could happen, or it stops dead, though if you knew your stuff you can disable all that, and it will still have a dead cut off to stop you frying you gear, beyond that if you 'really' know your stuff, and are dead stupid, you can even disable that and fry your gear, but the GM knows that and will void your warranty if you disable that last one.

You can bang on about how good the HW stuff is, but seriously it's still not the smartest kid on the block, I'm just pointing out we have a fair bit of gear out there a lot smarter and possibly more user friendly, like I said given the cash I'd own something 'better' in a heart beat, but for the money a HW does an ok job of it.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

i understand soft cutoff for low voltage but to me if your hitting the over temp then your either way off setup or need a higher amp rated esc
Old 06-06-2011, 03:39 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Bishop
I think it's been made fairly clear with hundreds of pages in multiple threads from multiple brands, that a large amount of drivers often barely have a clue (Me included to be fair).

To be clear, from memory the GM's have like everything from multiple soft limits, to current limiting etc, all to stop overheating, and cut off well below the point where damage could happen, or it stops dead, though if you knew your stuff you can disable all that, and it will still have a dead cut off to stop you frying you gear, beyond that if you 'really' know your stuff, and are dead stupid, you can even disable that and fry your gear, but the GM knows that and will void your warranty if you disable that last one.

You can bang on about how good the HW stuff is, but seriously it's still not the smartest kid on the block, I'm just pointing out we have a fair bit of gear out there a lot smarter and possibly more user friendly, like I said given the cash I'd own something 'better' in a heart beat, but for the money a HW does an ok job of it.
I am sure GM is smarter then the Hobbywing. The question is can you as a driver get the same performance out of the gm then a Hobbywing. A gm is far from user friendly imho and talking to gm users on the track i know for a fact that the gm is more difficult to adjust the desired settings.

I run against a couple of GM's. The GM drivers are far from being noobs but only one driver has the know-how to adjust the gm esc. The rest uses 1 setting and adds or substracts pinion sizes as they don't know what most of those settings really do. True, the gm is fast nonetheless.

On the other hand, i don't have any problem to keep up with the gm's with my xerun 120A v2.1 and xerun motor. I can adjust my settings on the fly with only a few settings and it is very simple to understand what each setting does. It is more intuitive. I can play with rollouts AND with esc settings wich makes it more versatile in the options i can take to get more speed or reduce motor heat.

My motor temperatures are normaly between 55 and 65 degrees C. In very hot weather it can reach 70-75 degrees C but i then adjust my settings so it runs cooler without loosing much performance.

If you run your motor at 95 degrees you have to ask yourself if your settings are maybe to aggressive.

ps:
I run 7 minutes qualifiers and finales on different circuits ranging from big 1/8 circuits with 250-330ft straights to smaller electric circuits. Am using the Hobbywing esc and xerun 10.5t motor for 3-4 months now.

Last edited by 2wdrive; 06-06-2011 at 04:09 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:11 AM
Tech Elite

Oh and before anyone gets their panties in a wad, this was all just pointing out the HW 'is' a little feature poor compared to some other brands, and for that matter this includes SP in this (which means the SP is likely a little light on features 'and' more expensive).

This is still essentially just a "why can't the HW do this" response, and it can't do it because it's at the other end of a market, no one said they were slow, but for the price you have to expect it to lack something, seriously.

And while I'm seriously still not advertising GM, last I checked a default profile can do a lot more without needing to know anything in the GM firmware, but again you pay for all that, money does still buy something, otherwise it would not sell at all.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Tech Master

Hi All

Can I use the timing software to reduce the temps of my motor.

I have a 9.5t in my car on foams on a small tight carpet indoor circuit,(main straight 12m) the FDR I run is 7.45 and the car is manageable on the basic software (no boost or advance timing).

If I flash it with the latest firmware, I dont thing turbo would be useful (its already mentally fast), I just wonder if I can change settings to make it run cooler and maybe slower?

Ta
Old 06-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up

send me an email to [email protected] and i will send you the 1224

regards Angelo
Dear Angelo,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I'm sure your great effort in the service will improve your business. Every rc player will use Hobbywing product very soon. Well done!

Jensen
Hong Kong RC player
Old 06-07-2011, 12:35 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bishop
Oh and before anyone gets their panties in a wad, this was all just pointing out the HW 'is' a little feature poor compared to some other brands, and for that matter this includes SP in this (which means the SP is likely a little light on features 'and' more expensive).

This is still essentially just a "why can't the HW do this" response, and it can't do it because it's at the other end of a market, no one said they were slow, but for the price you have to expect it to lack something, seriously.

And while I'm seriously still not advertising GM, last I checked a default profile can do a lot more without needing to know anything in the GM firmware, but again you pay for all that, money does still buy something, otherwise it would not sell at all.
But what is your opinion then on ESC from LRP and Black Diamond?...
They even have less features then HW has...
GM is a great ESC I think maybe even the fastest, but they really need to offer customers a 2 weeks indoor training course to learn all the features....
I see a lot of drivers with ESC like GM and Tekin just play around on the laptop (which you need if you want to change a setting), and just hope they found a good setting!....
Most even copy settings from others and then never touch it again!... So what's the need (for most) of all these settings?....
Old 06-07-2011, 01:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by M7H
But what is your opinion then on ESC from LRP and Black Diamond?...
They even have less features then HW has...
GM is a great ESC I think maybe even the fastest, but they really need to offer customers a 2 weeks indoor training course to learn all the features....
I see a lot of drivers with ESC like GM and Tekin just play around on the laptop (which you need if you want to change a setting), and just hope they found a good setting!....
Most even copy settings from others and then never touch it again!... So what's the need (for most) of all these settings?....
I think it depends on a few things, from what I understand some of these brands take away adjustment in favor of pre-created profiles that assume settings for you (It's the dumbed down approach, assuming everyone is stupid).

You know I said this ages ago, but I think just about every brand is guilty of over complicating functions and more so terms to explain everything, in fact I think this is half the reason turbo/boost etc died in many places, companies were so busy calling it different things and making it as complex as possible, that not many people had a hope in understanding it all, so ended up hating it.

As for the 'need' for all these settings, well none of course if your not that way inclined, seriously if you don't want or need any of it, buy one of the more basic units, but there is brands catering to all levels of how much control you want, HW is somewhere in the middle maybe I guess, but me I'd still wet myself to get a GM, it's the computer geek in me, bring on the laptops and multi pages of settings madness, love it all...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.