Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

NEW HOBBYWING STOCK SUPERCHARGED SOFTWARE

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 11:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Any problems using the justock with an AM radio? I want to upgrade an older car with a Hobbywing JS5 combo but I'm not ready to do the radio too.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm having an issue with a Hobbywing 120A 1S ESC. It isn't setting the brakes properly.

Set-up mode: Sets neutral fine, sets full throttle fine, I hold the stick in full brake and it won't set, no matter how many times I push the button. If I creet the stick forward then the brake will finally set when it's 7/8 of the way back to neutral.

What steps should I take to try and remedy the problem? I've already tried both blinky and boosted stock software. I've tried setting up the ESC with both 1S and 2S packs, but the problem is the same.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Radio Active
I'm having an issue with a Hobbywing 120A 1S ESC. It isn't setting the brakes properly.

Set-up mode: Sets neutral fine, sets full throttle fine, I hold the stick in full brake and it won't set, no matter how many times I push the button. If I creet the stick forward then the brake will finally set when it's 7/8 of the way back to neutral.

What steps should I take to try and remedy the problem? I've already tried both blinky and boosted stock software. I've tried setting up the ESC with both 1S and 2S packs, but the problem is the same.

Have you got forward and brake trims set the correct way for the ESC?
Old 01-22-2013, 03:22 PM
M7H
Tech Elite

Check the EPA settings of your TX.....
Old 01-22-2013, 04:04 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by cannon
Have you got forward and brake trims set the correct way for the ESC?
All the sub-trims were set to zero before I set the ESC. I haven't checked if I have the channel reversed on the radio (it's probably not), is that what you mean?

Edit: EPA was set to 100% too.

Last edited by Radio Active; 01-22-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

First, make sure u reverse throttle direction in radio
Second, follow directions for setting neutral, forward, and reverse.
Neutral is set first
Forward is set second
Reverse/Brake is set second
Lastly, once calibrated go back and increase MAX BRAKE FORCE. Default is 25%, which almost no brake. Increase to 100% and adjust with radio

See if this helps
idbdoug
Old 01-22-2013, 04:59 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by idbdoug
First, make sure u reverse throttle direction in radio
Second, follow directions for setting neutral, forward, and reverse.
Neutral is set first
Forward is set second
Reverse/Brake is set second
Lastly, once calibrated go back and increase MAX BRAKE FORCE. Default is 25%, which almost no brake. Increase to 100% and adjust with radio

See if this helps
idbdoug
Ah.

I've been setting max brake and max reverse at 100% with the PC before setting the ESC. I will try not doing that when I get home at the end of the week.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ah.

I've been setting max brake and max reverse at 100% with the PC before setting the ESC. I will try not doing that when I get home at the end of the week.
That's no problem. I did that and it worked fine. Make sure the throttle channel is reversed and that the throttle end points are at 100% and no higher and the speedo will set to the radio just fine.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Serpenteer

Here is the full setup:
Motor: Trinity 10.5 D3 (Endbell zero)

General
1A: FWD/BRAKE
1B: 25%
1C: Auto
1D: 105*C
1E: 105*C

Throttle
2A: 50%
2B: 30
2C: 30
2D Linear

Brake
3A: 0
3B: 100
3C: 0
3D: 50
3E: 20
3F: 20
3G: Linear

Boost:
4A: 39
4B: 3000 RPM
4C: 16000 RPM
4D: Linear
4E: No

Timing:
5A: 25
5B: Full Throttle
5C: 0.1s
5D: 15,000
5E: 18 deg/.1 sec
5F: 24 deg/.1 sec
Hi, change your ITEM 1C from Auto to 5.8V or DISABLE, and try.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by cyanyde
Motor was Turnigy Trackstar. Did not record Amps. True zero endbell timing was at -1.8 from centre line. This was determined by running sensorless first then matching endbell timing to rpm.
Hi, the normal method to determine the 0 timing is to find the point that with the minimum Amp,while the RPM is relavtively highest.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by sizheng
Hi, the normal method to determine the 0 timing is to find the point that with the minimum Amp,while the RPM is relavtively highest.
I do not disagree.

The idea for me was to find the correct baseline at zero degree endbell and zero timing on esc.

It could be that the esc at 0 timing at sensorless mode is not 'true' zero but I will never know that. But if the esc is 'true' 0 timing while in sensorless mode, there is no reason the motor should be spinnning more rpms while at 0 timing in sensored mode right? If everything is in 0 degrees whichever way, the rpm must be consistent in every mode.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:22 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Ah.

After calibrating, You can check if the ESC reaches 100% throttle and 100% break, because if it does, the green led lights up.
After calibrating, switch the ESC off and on, and while checking the red led on the side off the ESC, give full throttle (just very short, to prevent damage to your motor, if you use boost) the green led should light up, when you hit 100% throttle, you can do the same for the breaks, just make sure you've put breaks at 100% in the setting of the ESC.
If the green led lights up, the ESC reaches it's maximum throttle/break endpoints, and if you still don't have enough breaks then, the problem lies somewhere else.....
Old 01-23-2013, 01:27 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by M7H
After calibrating, You can check if the ESC reaches 100% throttle and 100% break, because if it does, the green led lights up.
After calibrating, switch the ESC off and on, and while checking the red led on the side off the ESC, give full throttle (just very short, to prevent damage to your motor, if you use boost) the green led should light up, when you hit 100% throttle, you can do the same for the breaks, just make sure you've put breaks at 100% in the setting of the ESC.
If the green led lights up, the ESC reaches it's maximum throttle/break endpoints, and if you still don't have enough breaks then, the problem lies somewhere else.....
The problem isn't that I don't have enough brakes, it's the opposite, I have way too much, because I have full brake at just a little below neutral. The drag brake setting becomes quite sensitive too.

I'll try everything everyone has suggested.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The problem isn't that I don't have enough brakes, it's the opposite, I have way too much, because I have full brake at just a little below neutral. The drag brake setting becomes quite sensitive too.

Dumb question here but did you try to put the brake strength to say 25% on the esc? You can also use your epa on the transmitter so your not experiencing to much brake.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:34 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Maybe you have a lot of exponential set on the brake side on your TX?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.