R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 08-07-2014, 04:10 PM   #11821
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post
that's not what he is saying. What he is saying is he hasn't been able to replicate the problem but he is working on it and will work on it until he fixes it.

I have updated 3 HW v3.1 to the latest version, 3.43, with no issues. I removed all other HW software installed 3.43 and updated, win7
Same here, three ESC's all updated fine. And this on a win7 laptop, with all the version 3.4x software a still installed (but all in seperate folders which is something I always do).

The only issue I had was from updating the program box. Updating that to the latest firmware would 'block out' the box when installing the latest esc firmware. Rolling back the program box firmware solved that issues. As a result of that I've installed and reinstalled the new & old firmware a few times so far, no issues.

Not saying there isn't an issue, but I can see why it is hard to replicate.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:10 PM   #11822
Tech Rookie

How are you installing older firmware to the program box? It gives me the message it won't do that when I try.
shaktar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:20 PM   #11823
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaktar View Post
How are you installing older firmware to the program box? It gives me the message it won't do that when I try.
Firstly, I've got an older type box so there may be something in the spec compared to the latest ones.
But simply have done it the same way as the esc. Set the 3.43 software to update the program box, then run through the update process as normal. The 3.43 is giving me two firmware versions for the program box, a v1.1 and a v3.1. I'm using the v1.1 now.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:43 AM   #11824
Tech Champion

Send a message via MSN to Slotmachine

I have 2 boxes the newer type with the cell checker and the old 1 firmware box and they both will update to the new release with no problem. It seems that since the new 3.43 has been released is where the problems started. One of the issues seems to be getting the units connected to the PC. There is a new connect disconnect button on the bottom left now.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:18 AM   #11825
Tech Champion

Send a message via MSN to Slotmachine

OK ....I sent a mail to the main branch on the West Coast suggesting they look into the problem. I would suggest not trying the update until we hear more from them. For those of us that got it to work , we will keep you posted
Paul.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:16 PM   #11826
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just received a stock spec v3 and was wondering if someone could explain to me how the punch stages work. I played with it a little last night but couldn't feel a difference. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-09-2014, 04:03 AM   #11827
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitsum View Post
Just received a stock spec v3 and was wondering if someone could explain to me how the punch stages work. I played with it a little last night but couldn't feel a difference. Thanks in advance!
You have to get down to very low numbers (less than 10) to notice it. It's what I'd call a throttle damper, in that it limits how fast the throttle will open.

Punch 10 = 0.2s ramp (from neutral to full throttle)
Punch 5 = 0.3s
Punch 2 = 0.6s
Punch 1 = 1.1s

It's useful if racing in the wet or running a powerful mod motor. Otherwise you'll be better off setting it to 30/30 and controlling the throttle yourself.
daleburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:40 AM   #11828
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slotmachine View Post
OK ....I sent a mail to the main branch on the West Coast suggesting they look into the problem. I would suggest not trying the update until we hear more from them. For those of us that got it to work , we will keep you posted
Paul.
So how am I supposed to reprogram the esc from the box when nothing will load on to the esc now? I turn on the power and the light stays solid red. If I try to turn off the power from the power button nothing happens and I have to unplug the battery.

Chris Kemper

Last edited by Osiris 75; 08-10-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Osiris 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:27 PM   #11829
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris 75 View Post
So how am I supposed to reprogram the esc from the box when nothing will load on to the esc now? I turn on the power and the light stays solid red. If I try to turn off the power from the power button nothing happens and I have to unplug the battery.
same thing happened to mine today the update failed and now it wont connect to the box , light stays on solid red wont turn off till you unplug it and completly dead ,what can i do 200 dollar esc thats afew months old
Old 08-10-2014, 09:48 PM   #11830
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey Hobbywing, since you are fully aware of what is going on, how about an update? People are still bricking their esc's.

Last edited by Crashaholic; 08-11-2014 at 08:19 AM.
Crashaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:49 AM   #11831
Tech Champion

To the guys who have had problems... can I ask exactly what happens if you plug the program box into the ESC, what comes up on the screen? Anything, or is it blank?

I've just been testing out on a spare esc I have. A couple of things I have noticed.

Firstly, it took two attempts to flash the latest V1.13_131106 firmware to the program box. The first attempt spacked out in the middle of the update, resulting in just a row of white blocks across the program box screen. Closing down the V3.43 software, restarting, and then reflashing the program box solved that problem.

Secondly, with the program box now with V1.13_131106, I updated the esc to V3.2_140627. The update completed fine, however if you turn the esc off, and then turn it on with the program box connected, the program box displays the "Please Upgrade Software" and I'm unable to turn the esc off at the button. This may not be the same problem, but it's the closest to what I can replicate for a bricked ESC.

So, whats the fix. It's simple, and I already mentioned it. Downgrade the program box to V1.11_120331_V3. Unplug it all from the esc, start up the V3.43 software in program box mode, then go to the upgrade option and select that firmware. Click upgrade, and it will downgrade the firmware on the program box. If it stops mid stream, just shut down the software, unplug the box, plug it back in (getting the blocks) and restart the process, making sure to reflash with the correct V1.11 firmware.

Plug the box into the esc... and bingo, now it all works again. I strongly suggest everyone to try that first, and see if it fixes the issue.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:15 AM   #11832
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What operating systems is everyone using to upgrade their ESC firmware?

I had a smooth and successful update using a Windows XP 32-bit system, and I couldn't be happier with it's performance in Mod. I've read and heard of problems when updating electronics in general on newer Windows 8 64-bit systems ect, not just ESC's but also updating two way radios aswell.

Just curious to know, it might be worth trying this update on an older system if you have one handy.

Yokomo BD7 2016