regards Angelo
Sponsered by me,myself and i :)
Pro10noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #9857
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
I'm now certain that a software issue is the cause of the bad brakes on the 508_NO_TIMING software.

The question is whether Hobbywing are going to bother addressing this issue now that the V3 is out.

I've been getting nailed under braking all season, last weekend's BRCA Clubman's meeting was the nadir.

So I put the car on the bench and had a play. ESC is an Xtreme Stock. Radio is Futaba and correctly calibrated with no funny settings.

Straight away I noticed that when going from full throttle to full brake, there was a delay in the green (full brake) light illuminating, and a distinct soft sound to the braking.

If I paused at neutral briefly, then pulled full brake, the green light illuminated immediately and the braking was sharp.

Obviously you can't pause at neutral before braking when you are on the track.

I then tried some different softwares. 205MOD lit up the green almost immediately and the braking was sharp. 930STOCK also lit up the green immediately with sharp braking - I also set the boost and turbo to zero to get a closer comparison and the braking remained sharp.

I then dug up the 120A V2.0 that I have in my buggy. This has the quad cap fitted. Switched to the 508_NO_TIMING software, and the soft delay on full brake remained. Tried the quad cap on the Xtreme Stock - no difference.

I've basically lost faith in the HW ESCs now. Which is frustrating for a number of reasons - not least of which is that I have recommended the ESC to a number of other people because of the quality of the hardware and the value it represents. I'd heard a lot of talk trackside about weak brakes and never felt it had been an issue for me - and it wasn't, until I started to do more racing on fast outdoor tracks that need heavy braking.

HW clearly know how to program strong brakes into the ESC - 205MOD has them. So will there be an update soon to the V2.0/V2.1 software, or do I have to sell my ESCs and move to a different brand?

Awhile back I found it helpful to have the REVERSE at 100%, and have the ESC set to Forward With Brakes. It almost sounds like it wants to engage reverse or something.. HW has had problems with the brakes in the past, and you would think the 508_NO_TIMING firmware would have been fixed with all the Blinky racing going on these days.

Shawn
Shawn68z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:53 PM   #9858
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Not sure if this is the right thread, but couldn't find another HW thread. I run an R10 in my TC and have the program box for it. Does anyone know if I can use it on my Justock that I just bought. They look awfully similar. Just wondering if they are compatible.

XRAY T4'14/ORCA VXX/ORCA TX 5.0
XRAY XB8'14
Jerz616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:54 AM   #9859
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn68z View Post
Awhile back I found it helpful to have the REVERSE at 100%, and have the ESC set to Forward With Brakes. It almost sounds like it wants to engage reverse or something.. HW has had problems with the brakes in the past, and you would think the 508_NO_TIMING firmware would have been fixed with all the Blinky racing going on these days.

Shawn
Thanks for the input, but brake/reverse is set to 100% as I have done from day one (more or less).

The issue is clearly the software - because 205MOD has brakes that work properly, I see no reason why the 508 brakes shouldn't work the same way. I don't know if Hobbywing have deliberately included soft braking as a protective feature - as a racer, I don't care about protection, I care about racing.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #9860
Tech Adept

can you give me a good starting point for gearing a 8.5T xerun für 2WD offroad? Should I use boost ?
It feels like it has zero power.
Current ratio is 9.94. What di you run?
takymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:58 AM   #9861
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by takymo View Post
can you give me a good starting point for gearing a 8.5T xerun für 2WD offroad? Should I use boost ?
It feels like it has zero power.
Current ratio is 9.94. What di you run?
Hi, I run an 8.5t in a cougar sv on grass and run 0 boost but 24 turbo with a FDR of 8.59. If you have plenty of grip I'm sure you could run some boost too
Racing-cars.com
MWarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:28 AM   #9862
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks for the input, but brake/reverse is set to 100% as I have done from day one (more or less).

The issue is clearly the software - because 205MOD has brakes that work properly, I see no reason why the 508 brakes shouldn't work the same way. I don't know if Hobbywing have deliberately included soft braking as a protective feature - as a racer, I don't care about protection, I care about racing.
I've heard and seen this happening to other HW esc users and was concerned when I switched from a Tekin to a Xtreme stock using 508 no timing software.
After reading at what the other HW users said to fix the problem I followed the procedure and the esc has good brakes.

I've also seen and had first hand experience in rectifying the same problem in a model of a Speed Passion esc (which is made by HW).
After applying 100% reverse force the SP esc then had ample braking.

Maybe yours is just one in thousands that want to be temperamental regardless what you try to do to fix it? Hopefully you can get it sorted out as it must be terribly frustrating for you.

Cheers
Rob.
ta04evah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:39 AM   #9863
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

hey
im running the hobbywing v2.1 speedy, i've got a problem with the throttle. It seems that even if i apply just a little bit of throttle the car go's full throttle without me even hitting full throttle.
any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:51 AM   #9864
M7H
Tech Elite

recalibrate it to your Rx/Tx combo, and be sure before you start, that epa on your Rx for both throttle and brake are set at 100%
Old 09-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #9865
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Hi,

Just want to ask,is the new firmware 120808 V3.1 is compatible with v2.0, i know its posted there that it is,but want to make sure that it is and has a strong brake, reason i ask becuase my other v2.1 was updated to version 3.0, it was not advised but it was to late, i could not revert back. Im running off road with 6.5T 4wd on loose dusty track,a bit technical ttack thus i need the brake.

Hope you giys can shed some light.

Thnk you.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:44 AM   #9866
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_jun View Post
Hi,

Just want to ask,is the new firmware 120808 V3.1 is compatible with v2.0, i know its posted there that it is,but want to make sure that it is and has a strong brake, reason i ask becuase my other v2.1 was updated to version 3.0, it was not advised but it was to late, i could not revert back. Im running off road with 6.5T 4wd on loose dusty track,a bit technical ttack thus i need the brake.

Hope you giys can shed some light.

Thnk you.
The v3.1 USB Link software package is compatible with the v2.0/v2.1/XS speedos. You must make sure you only use the LCD Program box firmware suitable for the V2.0/V2.1/XS speedos though (not the v3 LCD box firmware).

The range of actual ESC firmwares is the same as on the older USB link package, but the interface on the new software is nicer.

So the brakes are just as bad as before.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #9867
Tech Elite

Hi guys

it has come to my attention about a company called Aliepress in china supplying a copy version of the 2.1v but calling it the v3 under the brand hobbypower .

First it's a copy of the 2.1v 120 amp second we have no connection with the branding hobbypower .

So dont get caught out

happy racing guys

Angelo
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
COBRARACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:22 PM   #9868
Tech Elite

Quote:

We are checking the software now and will get back to all of you about the issue of brakes soon.
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
Old 09-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #9869
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Angelo,

Is it still the case that you can't reverse motor direction on the v2.1 and v3 ESC's for stock or mod software?

I know there is a 508_zero_rev for blinky but what about the case where you need boosted stock or mod software?
ByteStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:53 PM   #9870
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByteStream View Post
Angelo,

Is it still the case that you can't reverse motor direction on the v2.1 and v3 ESC's for stock or mod software?

I know there is a 508_zero_rev for blinky but what about the case where you need boosted stock or mod software?
yes correct .The motor direction can not be reversed when timing is used the software will not allow it .