R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 06-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #9286
Tech Elite

The delay is there to protect the drive train but you can minimise it to basically non existant by increasing the start mode.
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
COBRARACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:33 PM   #9287
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulepic View Post
Here is the 120a w/ 13.5 hw sensored motor. When the motor is not connected to the tranny you can hear the delay
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

And here is the 60a w/ a tekin 17.5 running unsensored. With more drag (i.e. connected to the tranny) it's more noticeable. Then when the car is on the track it's really noticeable.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

each video demonstrates starting the throttle just above zero and there is no delay to full throttle. they each demo going from zero throttle to full throttle where there is delay.
Dude, can you squeeze the trigger a little harder..... :roll eyes:
Old 06-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #9288
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdude View Post
Dude, can you squeeze the trigger a little harder..... :roll eyes:
Think about it for a second.....Keep thinking it might take you longer to figure out why I did that.
mulepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:08 PM   #9289
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRARACING View Post
The delay is there to protect the drive train but you can minimise it to basically non existant by increasing the start mode.
Thanks for the advice. By start mode do you mean punch setting? Yes it is less noticeable, than a high punch setting. In the video the punch is set to minimum.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:48 PM   #9290
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
The two motors you mention, how strong are the rotors? I know the TP's have a strong rotor, and if I remember correct the Hacker is the same as the Losi.
Gotta be honest, I've not run either of those motors with this ESC in blinky only HPI/Dualsky motors with a 12.5mm rotor, so my personal experience is limited in that regard.
Any chance of trying it out with different motors?

How about curve on the transmitter and so on? Just trying to think if there is anything else that could be causing the issue... although not trying to teach you to suck eggs!
The new Hacker motors are a whole different story, nothing like the old ones.

I put my old ESC back in for tonight and everything was back to being dreamy. I guess I'll just sit on the sidelines and wait and hope software fixes something down the road.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:41 AM   #9291
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Quote:
A few of us on the off-road side of the fence are having some issues w/ the hobbywing esc, where it seems to have a delay between zero throttle and full throttle. This seems to be the most active hobbywing thread so I apologize if this the wrong place for this. But here is a snippet from the other forum of the issue:

Last night I spent a lot of time trying to figure this out. Here are all the scenarios this happens:

1. Throttle at neutral->(delay)->immediately to full throttle
2. Throttle at neutral->partial throttle->(delay)->full throttle
3. full throttle->return to neutral->(delay)->full throttle

It DOES NOT happen when:

4. full throttle->partial throttle (just above neutral)->back to full throttle

It appears any return to neutral will always introduce a delay when immediately going to full throttle regardless of where the start throttle is.

So I updated the esc/programmer box and mucked w/ every setting. Nothing changed this. The only change that made this delay less noticeable is setting the punch to 0.

Then I changed the software on the ESC to 'no timing' or blinky mode. This actually cured scenario 2 which is definitely more livable b/c I try to be smooth w/ the throttle. Only track time will tell. But I'm chalking this one up to a software issue.

Please let me know if you can help or where else this should be posted.
I guess you have done ESC- TX re-calibration when you flashed or changed something on the ESC, i have encountered that delay before and thought it was the flash program, but when i tried to re-calibrate the ESC- TX. all was well...

if the suggestion is not relevant , do dismissed it.

Thanks,
Old 06-15-2012, 02:44 AM   #9292
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Gear ratio?

Hi guys, after a starting ratio for a 8.5t hobbywing motor with extreme esc in a Schui cat sx3, small to medium sized tracks. Should I run mod filmware or stock?
Any tips would be great, Thanks.
p.s I have tried the search tool with not much help.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:22 AM   #9293
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGNO View Post
With V3 I'm using the latest FW V1.1_120511_beta, it works well.

Never had any problems either with the Xtreme and Xerun V2, the use in blinky mode for over two years, with this ESC use FW V3_508_NO timing, the brake is not very strong, but work well.

I normally use 10/15% drag brake.
With the new V3 508 no timing firmware in my Extreme stock the brakes are very very poor. I'm running this in a 2wd SCT in 17.5 non ramping class. They are still there mind you but I remember them hitting much harder in the old 508 firmware.

Am I the only one that has noticed this?

And yes I have checked my throttle end points.
Johnny-RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:33 AM   #9294
Tech Elite

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. By start mode do you mean punch setting? Yes it is less noticeable, than a high punch setting. In the video the punch is set to minimum.
You need to increase the punch to about 6 .We all know at hobbywing that the delay is there it is not a bug but part of the software to protect the drive train .

Michael might consider removing it but you can overcome it by the punch setting .
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
COBRARACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:43 AM   #9295
Tech Master

Quote:
You need to increase the punch to about 6 .We all know at hobbywing that the delay is there it is not a bug but part of the software to protect the drive train .

Michael might consider removing it but you can overcome it by the punch setting .
Thanks for the suggestion. I set the punch to 6 and other values but the delay is still there. Maybe I'm the only one, but I'd rather have the slipper protect the drive train instead of the esc. But at least now we know it's a delay built into the software and not something faulty w/ my esc(s).
Old 06-15-2012, 08:38 AM   #9296
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:

That sounds like a feature I would definitely want to turn off.
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #9297
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:

That doesn't explain why mine started after I switched out motors, and now neither motor will go to full rev without a very noticeable delay. This is on any punch setting. I've tried it at 1 punch and 10 punch. It doesn't make any difference.
hyujmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #9298
Tech Fanatic

Sounds strange. Mine has no delay when applying the throttle. If it had a delay I'd get creamed on every final start.

I think the delay Cobra is talking about is the delay in going between forward/reverse when using reverse. This is a sensible delay/check to have to save killing the drivetrain.

Your issue sounds like something else, perhaps a hardware fault has developed somewhere. I've never seen this on any version of the software, so I don't think its a software thing. Maybe try changing the capacitor and sensor lead first.
daleburr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #9299
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleburr View Post
Sounds strange. Mine has no delay when applying the throttle. If it had a delay I'd get creamed on every final start.

I think the delay Cobra is talking about is the delay in going between forward/reverse when using reverse. This is a sensible delay/check to have to save killing the drivetrain.

Your issue sounds like something else, perhaps a hardware fault has developed somewhere. I've never seen this on any version of the software, so I don't think its a software thing. Maybe try changing the capacitor and sensor lead first.
I actually just tried this on my 150a esc w/ a t8 and a sensor wire. It happens there too. Did you watch my video, do you really not have any delay like that?
Old 06-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #9300
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
I actually just tried this on my 150a esc w/ a t8 and a sensor wire. It happens there too. Did you watch my video, do you really not have any delay like that?
I watched the videos a bunch of times. I think there is something else going on if it is that perceptible while driving. I have enough experience with just about every ESC and I have never seen one be "instant" on. The delay is hardly perceptible on videos. I even slowed it down to see if I could "see" the delay. I am at a loss. I just don't see it. A note about sensorless mode and HW. They are not smooth until the motor actually starts spinning. Compared to sensorless in the MMP, HW is very rough. Once the motor is moving it is not too bad. Try coming slowly on the throttle and there is no delay, 0-100% throttle seems like there is a delay but it is just the motor ramping. This is normal. If I get time tonight I will show the exact same thing with three different ESC's.
When you are getting "beat" out of a corner are you hard on the brakes? If you are then the perception of delay might be the lack of speed carried through the corner. To give an example I can drive my buddies truck much faster around the track than he can, no different set up, just the way I apply the throttle through the corners allows me to carry more speed through and out of the corner. Nothing special nothing fancy just a little better driving. If you are hard on the throttle entering a corner then get on the brakes for too long the ramp up is what is slowing you down and not the "delay". If you need more speed out of the corner, change your gearing. I find if funny that everyone wants to gear the same when they switch out components. Motors and ESC's all function differently and give different performance trade offs. Also on the note of dirt racing, traction is the limiting factor in most cases, if you are spinning your tires you are actually loosing ground to the guy that just rolls on the throttle to prevent wheel spin. Keeping the wheels from spinning is actually way faster.