R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 06-14-2012, 09:21 AM   #9271
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Help your off-road brothers, please

A few of us on the off-road side of the fence are having some issues w/ the hobbywing esc, where it seems to have a delay between zero throttle and full throttle. This seems to be the most active hobbywing thread so I apologize if this the wrong place for this. But here is a snippet from the other forum of the issue:

Last night I spent a lot of time trying to figure this out. Here are all the scenarios this happens:

1. Throttle at neutral->(delay)->immediately to full throttle
2. Throttle at neutral->partial throttle->(delay)->full throttle
3. full throttle->return to neutral->(delay)->full throttle

It DOES NOT happen when:

4. full throttle->partial throttle (just above neutral)->back to full throttle

It appears any return to neutral will always introduce a delay when immediately going to full throttle regardless of where the start throttle is.

So I updated the esc/programmer box and mucked w/ every setting. Nothing changed this. The only change that made this delay less noticeable is setting the punch to 0.

Then I changed the software on the ESC to 'no timing' or blinky mode. This actually cured scenario 2 which is definitely more livable b/c I try to be smooth w/ the throttle. Only track time will tell. But I'm chalking this one up to a software issue.

Please let me know if you can help or where else this should be posted.
mulepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:59 AM   #9272
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulepic View Post
A few of us on the off-road side of the fence are having some issues w/ the hobbywing esc, where it seems to have a delay between zero throttle and full throttle. This seems to be the most active hobbywing thread so I apologize if this the wrong place for this. But here is a snippet from the other forum of the issue:

Last night I spent a lot of time trying to figure this out. Here are all the scenarios this happens:

1. Throttle at neutral->(delay)->immediately to full throttle
2. Throttle at neutral->partial throttle->(delay)->full throttle
3. full throttle->return to neutral->(delay)->full throttle

It DOES NOT happen when:

4. full throttle->partial throttle (just above neutral)->back to full throttle

It appears any return to neutral will always introduce a delay when immediately going to full throttle regardless of where the start throttle is.

So I updated the esc/programmer box and mucked w/ every setting. Nothing changed this. The only change that made this delay less noticeable is setting the punch to 0.

Then I changed the software on the ESC to 'no timing' or blinky mode. This actually cured scenario 2 which is definitely more livable b/c I try to be smooth w/ the throttle. Only track time will tell. But I'm chalking this one up to a software issue.

Please let me know if you can help or where else this should be posted.
Did you try a new sensor cable, and is this sensored or sensorless?
defcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #9273
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by defcone View Post
Did you try a new sensor cable, and is this sensored or sensorless?
I did try a new sensor cable and this happens both in sensored and non. I'm working to get a video of it happening up by the end of the day.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #9274
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Has anyone else noticed that the new V3 508 (no timing) software has really bad breaks? I have it on a Extreme stock and the brakes are almost nonexistent. I haven't flashed it back to the old 508 firmware yet to test the brakes. I will try that soon. Just wanted to see if anyone else was having the same issue.
Johnny-RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #9275
Tech Rookie

hi friend.. i'm a newbie. i get a lot of information from this topic, thanks for sharing
https://www.facebook.com/andreasuyoko/
http://anda-cari.blogspot.com
yokoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #9276
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
I did try a new sensor cable and this happens both in sensored and non. I'm working to get a video of it happening up by the end of the day.
I'm in the middle of the EXACT same problem you have. There is a half second delay when going zero to full throttle. It was working perfectly before, and then I changed out motors and this problem occurred. I just ordered the program box so hopefully flashing the firmware will fix it all.
hyujmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #9277
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyujmn View Post
I'm in the middle of the EXACT same problem you have. There is a half second delay when going zero to full throttle. It was working perfectly before, and then I changed out motors and this problem occurred. I just ordered the program box so hopefully flashing the firmware will fix it all.
I'm hoping when I post a video of it that someone will clearly understand what some of us are experiencing.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #9278
Tech Master

Default HW esc delay

Here is the 120a w/ 13.5 hw sensored motor. When the motor is not connected to the tranny you can hear the delay
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

And here is the 60a w/ a tekin 17.5 running unsensored. With more drag (i.e. connected to the tranny) it's more noticeable. Then when the car is on the track it's really noticeable.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

each video demonstrates starting the throttle just above zero and there is no delay to full throttle. they each demo going from zero throttle to full throttle where there is delay.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #9279
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Here is the 120a w/ 13.5 hw sensored motor. When the motor is not connected to the tranny you can hear the delay

And here is the 60a w/ a tekin 17.5 running unsensored. With more drag (i.e. connected to the tranny) it's more noticeable. Then when the car is on the track it's really noticeable.

each video demonstrates starting the throttle just above zero and there is no delay to full throttle. they each demo going from zero throttle to full throttle where there is delay.
Tekin does this too. Presumably it has something to do with the ESC needing to find the position of the rotor so it knows which coils to fire. Do you feel it on the track or is this just a bench thing?
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #9280
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Tekin does this too. Presumably it has something to do with the ESC needing to find the position of the rotor so it knows which coils to fire. Do you feel it on the track or is this just a bench thing?
My tekin never did that. As you can see it's worse w/ more drag on the motor, so on the track it's very noticeable. Compared to other cars, coming out a turn during a race it looks like I forget to hit the gas. It sucks, b/c any ground I gain suddenly I give up.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #9281
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManxPlumber View Post
After using the latest usb link software on my extreme stock esc, the for/brk/rev no longer has reverse using any fw, fwd/rev works, fwd/brk works, fwd/brk/rev works but only fwd/brk.

Any helpful ideas please?

Kev
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideMasteR View Post
As far as i know you should be using 1.64 for the extreme stock

I see 612 has been released , btw it would be nice if they included the database release date in the 'help/about' tab of the software,

can anyone comment on the fixes and or changes in 612 ?
No, you can use USB link V3.1 but only one of the two profiles works with v2.0 and v2.1 esc's, that being V1.08_120504

I did go back to Link V1.64 and to save time I flashed the programmer, then the esc then set it to fwd/brk/rev - it worked, so I proceeded to put all my settings in, and reverse didn't work again, so I reset the esc to default and changed one setting at a time to find the problem. I always set my drag brake to 40%. I found the problem once I changed the initial brake to equal drag brake - then there was no reverse, I set initial brake to zero and voila reverse worked ok.

So I loaded up Link V3.1 and flashed the programmer to V1.08_120504 (as the other profile is for V3 esc's only!), then flashed the esc to V3.0_110930STOCK and set it to fwd/brk/rev first just to see if reverse worked - it did, so I set all the other settings and tried that and no reverse - so I set initial brake to zero and reverse now works.

If I set initial brake to = drag brake in fwd/brk/rev mode, reverse doesn't work, you have to set initial brake to zero

Obviously a firmware glitch, this shouldn't happen and I hadn't had this problem on my old setup

I'm sure this will help somebody else

Kev
ManxPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:47 PM   #9282
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwork View Post
What version of the software are you running on the speedo?
With V3 I'm using the latest FW V1.1_120511_beta, it works well.

Never had any problems either with the Xtreme and Xerun V2, the use in blinky mode for over two years, with this ESC use FW V3_508_NO timing, the brake is not very strong, but work well.

I normally use 10/15% drag brake.

Last edited by AGNO; 06-14-2012 at 03:02 PM.
AGNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #9283
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Yup that's precisely what's happening to mine right now, except the day is much longer before it gets to full rev.
hyujmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #9284
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by defcone View Post
Running a 17.5t with 6diseng, it feels to have like 20% drag brake when I have 0, lipo cut is off, esc on 125 deg, motor cut off.
where abouts on track is that happening on track? Just at the end of the straight coming off of turbo? or elesewhere on the track too?
Just trying to figure out if it's a Turbo Diseng issue or something else.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #9285
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Yeah, "blinky" mode in sedan. With a Hacker and Thunder Power 13.5, both slow down too much everywhere even with zero drag brake and make the car get on the nose. It's a very unnatural feel.
The two motors you mention, how strong are the rotors? I know the TP's have a strong rotor, and if I remember correct the Hacker is the same as the Losi.
Gotta be honest, I've not run either of those motors with this ESC in blinky only HPI/Dualsky motors with a 12.5mm rotor, so my personal experience is limited in that regard.
Any chance of trying it out with different motors?

How about curve on the transmitter and so on? Just trying to think if there is anything else that could be causing the issue... although not trying to teach you to suck eggs!