R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 05-14-2012, 07:03 PM   #8971
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Stew View Post
Never got a reply to this...thoughts? Cobra? Thanks!
Shouldnt be an issue. Try it and check the internal esc temp after a run. My mates 17.5 boosted car with high speed esc fan comes off at 49c after a 6 min run. I still think having a cooler operating esc is the better way to go

Team Schumacher - Team Scorpion - Sweep Racing - Bezerk RC - Adelaide RC
Yokomo_Ant3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:40 PM   #8972
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokomo_Ant3 View Post
Shouldnt be an issue. Try it and check the internal esc temp after a run. My mates 17.5 boosted car with high speed esc fan comes off at 49c after a 6 min run. I still think having a cooler operating esc is the better way to go
The cooler the esc can run the better the performance and efficiency .So i would always run a fan .
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
COBRARACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:47 PM   #8973
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Yup that helps. Btw, the v2.1 1s can be used with the LED digital program card right?? The ones that come with the ezrun esc/motor combos?
hyujmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:47 PM   #8974
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
To me, it felt smoother and had better brakes than the LRP SXX. And by better, I mean stronger and more natural. The throttle response is butter like the Black Diamond. The BD's brakes are nonexistent, however.

The 1% increments on drag brake is really nice.

I threw -20% expo on my throttle and it made mod much, much easier. I tend to like to use a little bit of throttle to roll through corners, and mod was giving me too much. The expo really helped. I don't know if that's radio or ESC, but with this setup, the car feels like a 13.5 in the infield and a missile on the straight. I've tried this in the past when running mod with other ESC's and never liked how it felt. Personally, I think a lot of ESC's lack feel at the very tip of the trigger. It's probably why I've struggled with certain other ESC's popular in boosted racing.

I replaced the fan on the ESC with a "Seis" fan from Side Piece Racing plugged into the receiver. Unfortunately, my Hobbywing fan had a broken blade out of the package, and the lack of balance made it loud as all hell. You'll need some M2.5 screws for that fan. I got some 20mm long from McMaster Carr and cut off 2mm. The Seis fan seems to move more air than the stock one and is much quieter. It won't run of the ESC's fan header, though, due to its 6V limitation.
wow - thanks for the feedback Adam...
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #8975
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
wow - thanks for the feedback Adam...
Plus...The red V3 looks totally dialed in the EX

S.Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #8976
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Stew View Post
Plus...The red V3 looks totally dialed in the EX

looks nice. watch that front end wheelbase shimming -- looks too long to me
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #8977
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
looks nice. watch that front end wheelbase shimming -- looks too long to me
Yeah, just built per the kit setup as is. Won't see the track till mid-late june I'll check your latest setup before that
S.Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #8978
Tech Adept

Dear Cobra.
I'd received my new V3 Blue version speedo and ' tested past few days in our club.
After a deepest test, I've got two problems (one very short and one a little more big).
The shortiest one is that the logo on the fun, flyed in the first battery. Yes, it's a very little thing, but for the fired up price of this speed, they can put a little bit quality glue with it.
The second one, if the shutoff from the radio.
When the speedo is cool, no problem with it, 6 second breaking and esc shutoff.
But, just after 8 minutes running, if I break 6 seconds, the v3 shutoff, and inmediatly, go on.
I I shuttoff with the button, the same problem. I must discontect the battery to shutoff the ESC.
When the speedo temperature go down, they breaking proccess to shutoff work ok, like the button to shutoff also.

Any ideas?

PD: brake epa travel on my sanwa m11x is 100, like throttle travel.

King regards.
Sanwa M12 - RX-471
http://www.agaerc.com/
banquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #8979
lip
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

delete please
lip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #8980
lip
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Mine finally arrived...much more than I should be paying for something like this (shipping was very expensive to Canada as no one local carries it and then I got screwed with customs/taxes...I paid much more than I could get something similar from LRP for local...doesn't seem right but at least I'll be different than everyone else....haha)

Question: Do I need the caps? I'm assuming this is to prevent glitching but the manual makes no mention of this.

Kudos to Hobbywing on the manual generally...the design is nice with lots of info...I'd do a proper circuit diagram of the connections rather than a drawing like that but the fold out design is sweet.

The issues some are having with shorting the solder posts is, in my opinion, a design issue with the esc. There should be a non-conductive shroud between the posts and the metal of the esc or the posts need to be moved a bit further away...I think if people are careful it shouldn't be a problem however.

I would have liked to get the blue colour but CRC didn't order those in...the Hobbywing motor looks like it's constructed a bit on the cheap side compared to LRP motors (or others) but the price on the motor at least was pretty cheap.
Programmer is great.

Gotta get my 2WD buggy back together now to test this baby out...no time with 3 young kids...
lip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:43 PM   #8981
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by banquer View Post
Dear Cobra.
I'd received my new V3 Blue version speedo and ' tested past few days in our club.
After a deepest test, I've got two problems (one very short and one a little more big).
The shortiest one is that the logo on the fun, flyed in the first battery. Yes, it's a very little thing, but for the fired up price of this speed, they can put a little bit quality glue with it.
But, just after 8 minutes running, if I break 6 seconds, the v3 shutoff, and inmediatly, go on.
I I shuttoff with the button, the same problem. I must discontect the battery to shutoff the ESC.
When the speedo temperature go down, they breaking proccess to shutoff work ok, like the button to shutoff also.

Any ideas?

King regards.
Another question.
Is motor sensor temperature logger compatible with other brands of motor nor hobbywing?

King regards!
Sanwa M12 - RX-471
http://www.agaerc.com/
banquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:44 AM   #8982
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by banquer View Post
Dear Cobra.

Any ideas?

King regards.
On the switch thing, sounds like its shorted out on the case, and fried the switch... Thats what happened to me with mine, exact same symptoms. Unfortunately, will need to go back to HW to be fixed.

Hih
Ed
Old 05-17-2012, 02:50 AM   #8983
NR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
On the switch thing, sounds like its shorted out on the case, and fried the switch... Thats what happened to me with mine, exact same symptoms. Unfortunately, will need to go back to HW to be fixed.

Hih
Ed
Hi Ed,

How did it / You, short the switch out on the case, interested to try and avoid it.

Nathan
NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:51 AM   #8984
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lip View Post
Mine finally arrived...much more than I should be paying for something like this (shipping was very expensive to Canada as no one local carries it and then I got screwed with customs/taxes...I paid much more than I could get something similar from LRP for local...doesn't seem right but at least I'll be different than everyone else....haha)
Posts like this give me the S$*#'S. Is it hobbywings fault that the Canadian government taxes you, its citizen the way it does? Get over it. Its a quality product that is worth the price you have to pay. Yes that is more than the average racer but thats not hobbywings fault.

Adelaide RC

Walter Rc Hobby
Benzaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:54 AM   #8985
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NR View Post
Hi Ed,

How did it / You, short the switch out on the case, interested to try and avoid it.

Nathan
I was measuring the esc temp with a metallic cases temp gun... Touched the pins with the esc on, and also touched the case... There goes was a short. Woulda been fine if I hadn't left the esc on, or had a plug /cover on the pins. I believe all new v3's are coming with a cover.

HiH
Ed