R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 04-02-2012, 03:57 AM   #8431
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madulla View Post
I have a JustStock esc. This weekend in a crash the tabs on my motorcan came together and sparked. After that my esc won't work anymore. It turns on and red lights blinks, throttle and brake turns light green but motor won't work. I have tried 3 different motors and a different receivers. Do you think the esc is done?
Going on my experience with esc's both brushed and recently brushless I would say that after trying different motors that the esc is done.
The two suggestions that I can give are firstly try and calibrate the esc to your radio again (a long shot) and secondly get in touch with Cobraracing, he'll be in a better position to give you options in possibly getting your esc repaired

Cheers
Rob.
ta04evah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:09 AM   #8432
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madulla View Post
I have a JustStock esc. This weekend in a crash the tabs on my motorcan came together and sparked. After that my esc won't work anymore. It turns on and red lights blinks, throttle and brake turns light green but motor won't work. I have tried 3 different motors and a different receivers. Do you think the esc is done?
You could be lucky and have just damaged the external capacitor (if you Have another one please try it or worse case you have damaged the voltage reg and the mosfets on the esc board for the two phases shorting out .

were are you located what country ?
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
COBRARACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:14 AM   #8433
Tech Initiate

had to leave for more than three months, but nothing.
would cost 30% more than the 2.1,
and now we see that costs twice.
not serious.
and the page hobbywing say nothing of a new esc.
I am very happy with the 2.1, but I do not think anything serious what he is saying around here cobraracing, nor what you are doing hobbywing
oscargonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:20 AM   #8434
Tech Fanatic

I am in Canada Cobra. I do have an extra capacitor to try. I don't blame the speed control as I love them and run them in all my blinky cars.

CARCAR VP carcar.ca
Madulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:30 AM   #8435
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lip View Post
I've said it a bunch of times...I'll probably still get it as I've waited so long...

However, they can put as many cool features in it as they want but if they think they are going to gain any significant business pricing their product higher than the name brands with little to no local hobbyshop support or even availability at bigger places like amainhobbies, they are kidding themselves...
Their main distributor is selling the XERUN 2.1 for $99 but they want $240 for this upgrade...that's a bit steep. I personally think a fair price that would sell in big quantities would be around $150...

Good luck to them...worst case is they just brand label this for Orion(probably will eventually) and make their money that way.

PS-I'd like to order it but Hobbywing's suggested retailer in North America has not been informed of anything about the product...
While I mostly agree. I don't think price is the only selling point. There is a great option which is the v2.1 ESC for everyone that just wants a great budget ESC. But the v3, like the orion, LRP, and Orca are all at 200$ - 220$. I personally prefer the Orca esc to the others and there is essentially zero support in North America. Only 1 hobby shop carries them and they are located in canada. And at every race I go to there are more and more popping up. Tekin dominates the mid range here in North America, but i see every other brand there too. And for never hearing of Orca until at a big race, I purchased one just to try it out. And all I can say is it's great. Better than Blue or really anything else that i have seen. But I don't think the barrier in onroad is cost. Get a couple of v3 HW's in the hands of good drivers, then people will pay to play.
I for one am interested because I really like testing new stuff out. I also like offering support for those that need some help. So, I buy test, and move on. Unless I find something that is truly spectacular. Since HW makes ESC for others to brand I think you will see some picking this version up and rebranding. I also foresee, the Orion getting the same software at some point. Overall it is still a great value. And like everything, cost always come down after a product has gone through its initial run.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #8436
Tech Adept
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
Yeah, from what I'm seeing/reading/hearing, the 'able to buy' price of the V3, will be as near as dead on the Tekin RS Pro price from a couple of places online.

Not so sure how that will wash in many markets, I believe the Tekin is still smaller and possibly lighter (needs no fan/sink), and it will mean the Orion versions will be cheaper (again depending where you buy), with the Orion not being all 'that' much bigger in size.

So it's a hard sell for the V3, or at least could be till it gets around the net sellers, though with us being told they undervalue the brand (and thus may be locked out), if that don't happen better bargains 'will' be had from other brands.
The v3 has plenty of features tekin is still dreaming about, like logger and boost slope. The feature list is quite impressive.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #8437
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

i want to give a special thanks to cobraracing for giving me some info on hobbywing products. the customer service is awesome!
LOW ET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #8438
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

From an outsider (I don't own HW, I've almost bought HW twice but got awesome deals on Tekin locally each time) I see good customer service from Cobra, with good response times on this forum, and offers to try and help fix things that obviously are the user's fault. That's pretty darn good customer service.

Sometimes Cobra's hands are tied though, with such issues as software updates that need to be done. I don't see this as much different than any other company (being in the computer software industry myself), except that it seems major software issues (such as having to turn off LVC) may take slightly longer to get fixed with HW than some others. Features that people want added (such as turbo boost supwercharging OMG power on the 1/8 ESCs) take a while to happen, but take just as long or longer to happen from other companies. So, in the software department, I can't really call HW any better or worse than others from a responsiveness point of view.

If the features in the V3 make it worthwhile for the user over something like the Orion or Tekin or LRP, then the user should be willing to pay the slightly higher price for the newer/better features they want in addition to what the "name brands" have. If general features are all that one wants, nobody is forcing the user to buy the v3, a name brand, a HW, or even a new item instead of used.

I don't personally expect the new V3 features I've seen mentioned make ME rush out and buy it to replace what I already have, but I also expect to evaluate HW regarding price/feature/performance when I next have to compare ESC's either to replace something I have or to go in a new vehicle.

It would be nice if what appears to be the main US distributor (CRC) seemed to be more informed though. Not sure where that communication is, or if the lack of communication to customers is on purpose until stock is there to sell/ship, but I hope it proves to be fully worked out soon, as more good competition is always good for the market.
"We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit." -Aristotle
My wallet supports: TeknoRC.com, NorCalHobbies.com, SMC, Tekin, and several tire/servo companies.
justpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #8439
lip
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goos View Post
The v3 has plenty of features tekin is still dreaming about, like logger and boost slope. The feature list is quite impressive.
I agree....but there is a limit on how much people will pay...especially for a product from a company that is virtually unknown and will only have support from one north american vendor it seems
lip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #8440
lip
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpoet View Post
From an outsider (I don't own HW, I've almost bought HW twice but got awesome deals on Tekin locally each time) I see good customer service from Cobra, with good response times on this forum, and offers to try and help fix things that obviously are the user's fault. That's pretty darn good customer service.

Sometimes Cobra's hands are tied though, with such issues as software updates that need to be done. I don't see this as much different than any other company (being in the computer software industry myself), except that it seems major software issues (such as having to turn off LVC) may take slightly longer to get fixed with HW than some others. Features that people want added (such as turbo boost supwercharging OMG power on the 1/8 ESCs) take a while to happen, but take just as long or longer to happen from other companies. So, in the software department, I can't really call HW any better or worse than others from a responsiveness point of view.

If the features in the V3 make it worthwhile for the user over something like the Orion or Tekin or LRP, then the user should be willing to pay the slightly higher price for the newer/better features they want in addition to what the "name brands" have. If general features are all that one wants, nobody is forcing the user to buy the v3, a name brand, a HW, or even a new item instead of used.

I don't personally expect the new V3 features I've seen mentioned make ME rush out and buy it to replace what I already have, but I also expect to evaluate HW regarding price/feature/performance when I next have to compare ESC's either to replace something I have or to go in a new vehicle.

It would be nice if what appears to be the main US distributor (CRC) seemed to be more informed though. Not sure where that communication is, or if the lack of communication to customers is on purpose until stock is there to sell/ship, but I hope it proves to be fully worked out soon, as more good competition is always good for the market.
I see good things on the forum about CRC so hopefully they do a good job. However, obviously their marketing is not their main focus (look at their website)...I personally don't care if Hobbywing sell no units to anyone other than me...I'd just like to buy the damn thing...
Old 04-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #8441
Tech Elite

4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China

Last edited by COBRARACING; 04-03-2012 at 05:07 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:02 PM   #8442
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Wow, there are some cool new features in the software, just like you said. Looking forward to trying some of there new throttle and braking options.

It's the beginning of April, TITC is over, can you release a date the V3 will be available in the US?
5280raceway.com [Operated by - Colorado On-Road RC Club]
MILE HIGH INDOOR CHAMPS April 20-23rd 2017 @ www.milehighindoorchamps.com
bkspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #8443
lip
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRARACING View Post
Hi Guys

I have a user guide of the features that the v3 will have .It seems like an instruction manual but please use it as a guide for now .I will let you make up your own mind if the esc is worth the money or not .

thank you for your time

Angelo
better idea...sell me one!
Old 04-02-2012, 11:43 PM   #8444
Tech Elite

The actual manual i will list later tonight.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:08 AM   #8445
Tech Adept
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by lip View Post
I agree....but there is a limit on how much people will pay...especially for a product from a company that is virtually unknown and will only have support from one north american vendor it seems
Hobbywing might be unknown in USA, but over in Europe its the opposite. Its a well known brand and people know their products are top notch. Hobbywings have generally less failures than any other brand out there and their product is probably on its own level with the release of the V3. I expect it will take 1-2 years for the other brands to catch up to the v3. Except Orion and HPI who made the wise decision to rebrand HW products so they would not get behind.

For the price, 159euro (including taxes) it is not a bad price when any other speedo will cost you 170euro or more.