R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 03-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #8281
Tech Apprentice

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lip View Post
I don't know...Hobbywing seem to make a great product...
HPI, Orion, Speedpassion, amoung other vendors seem to think so as they brand label Hobbywing...
As well, I only see positive things about the product from casual users.

Main issue I see with Hobbywing is their localized support and their new decision to price themselves in the upper tier with some of their new products...but that's a different topic that we won't go into again....
I hope in the long ran it proves it be a good cost effective speed control. We all know the hobby is starting to get to expensive for a family man. So maybe I will one a try down the road after I see how they do out in the dirt.
martin660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #8282
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by russp View Post
I'm guessing tekin fanboy
Actually I am Novak user I can't seem to hurt them. I have tried the newest trend and it never seems to work out for me. I hope this stuff works great and there are some good guys using these speed controls now. I think I am going to hold off for a while.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #8283
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRARACING View Post
thats were your wrong .i dont agree with you there sorry .
I truly hope I am wrong as we all need the price of the hobby to come down so it can survive. As we approach over $4.00 a gallon for gas we all need a break. I do so there is good support for product which is a plus. What type of warranty to do the hobby wing products carry.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:07 AM   #8284
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin660 View Post
I truly hope I am wrong as we all need the price of the hobby to come down so it can survive. As we approach over $4.00 a gallon for gas we all need a break. I do so there is good support for product which is a plus. What type of warranty to do the hobby wing products carry.
$4 a gallon... Over here in the UK our prices are around $9 per (US) gallon. And we pay 40% more for our RC stuff than you do. Just thought it might make you feel a bit better...!!!
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #8285
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowerOne View Post
$4 a gallon... Over here in the UK our prices are around $9 per (US) gallon. And we pay 40% more for our RC stuff than you do. Just thought it might make you feel a bit better...!!!
Yes there is no question that you guys are getting screwed. I always wondered how the hobby seems so much better over there than here in the states.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #8286
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I don't know what you are talking about. I have done many price comparisons between "then" brushed, nicd/nimh, etc. to "now" brushless, lipo/life, etc. Even kit prices aren't that much different. If anything the hobby has been holding off on price increases. Here is just a sample of what I am talking about.
Back in 97' I drove a schumacher axis 299$ kit, body 24$, tires 18$, inserts, 12$, rims, 10$ so rolling chassis with paint about 370$.
Novak cyclone ESC 124$
Batteries Each pack of matched cells 80-100$ to race you needed at least 4 or 5 so 400$
Servo 50$
Radio, Futaba 299$
Motor 36-80 depending so say 50$
So back in 1997 for me to race it cost me around 1300$ not including charger, or transponder or tools, brushes, com lathe, etc. If inflation is 3% then to race today should cost me about 2000$, its not even close to this.
But I race a Photon 349$ kit, mounted tires 25$, body 24$ so total about 400$
ESC HW 99$
Battery lipos 40 - 120 so say 60$ only really need 2 to race so 120$
Radio KO Eurus 350$
Servo spektrum 75$
Motor 70$
Or right around 950$ which is less than I had invested in 97'. Plus I don't need to have a com lathe, or brushes. And to go to a big race is no longer as intimidating because the batteries are all pretty similar. Unlike in the Nicd days where the team drivers always had better cells than you could get.
I really don't understand your comment. Prices have come down and the bar to having a competitive setup is really a lot lower that it used to be.
Sure gas sucks but it is not making the hobby harder to get into. That's just crap!
Old 03-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #8287
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I think/hope they were just trying to say that with everything being more expensive, and folks having less money with the wonderfully "recovering" economy, that it is harder to justify spending the amount that the hobby can take quite quickly. But, it is a hobby, and hobbies are all basically money/time sinks unless you are so good at them you can use it to make money.

That being said, this has nothing to do with HW at all, so maybe we should try to keep things at least on the topic of HW.
The question in there about HW was the warranty. A few pages back I saw it listed for the upcoming V3 ESC, but not for prior products.
Perhaps somebody from HW can explain to the poster how the warranty works, as it had different time periods on it based on where it was bought, and if that is also the case for the currently shipping products as well.
"We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit." -Aristotle
My wallet supports: TeknoRC.com, NorCalHobbies.com, SMC, Tekin, and several tire/servo companies.
justpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #8288
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 76 (99%+)

Anyone know if the Hobbywing LCD box will work on the ORION R10 PRO esc?
Traxxas Slash(x2), 4x4 Slash VXL, Vendetta SC/ST
Axial SCX10, Axial Yeti, G-Made/AX10, Losi Micro Crawler, Sakura D3 CS(x2)
pettyeagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #8289
Tech Apprentice

Any suggestions on which speedo for 1/8th scale buggy and motor? Run the buggy sparingly as I have went thru 2 speed controls and motors. Currently have Tekin which is working would like to have another so weekly racing would be an option.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:00 PM   #8290
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Any suggestions on which speedo for 1/8th scale buggy and motor? Run the buggy sparingly as I have went thru 2 speed controls and motors. Currently have Tekin which is working would like to have another so weekly racing would be an option.
Curious as to what you are running when you have failures. Tekin? Gearing? I have been running a MMP with a tekin T8 2050kv motor on 4S for a couple of seasons. Zero problems. Well I have replaced a couple of fans, but other than that it has been rock solid. If you are frying motors and ESC then you are probably geared wrong for the KV of the motor. Are you checking temps? Also, as an FYI large motors do not benefit from advancing the timing, like the smaller motor sizes. Also, I only ever run in smart sense mode. Which starts sensored and switches to sensor less. Never had an issue with power. I can run for about 25 min without melting anything.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #8291
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pettyeagles View Post
Anyone know if the Hobbywing LCD box will work on the ORION R10 PRO esc?
This has been answered on here a couple of times. The LCD will not program the ESC. However you can use it as a USB link to program with a laptop using the HW software on the PC.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #8292
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 139 (100%+)

so pretty much, as long as you have a laptop with you at the track, you can use it for programming.
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:48 AM   #8293
Tech Adept

Does anyone know how the extreme stock deals with over heating? Does it current limit or something like that or does it just shut down? And what temperature does that come in?
YZFAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #8294
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker View Post
so pretty much, as long as you have a laptop with you at the track, you can use it for programming.
That is my understanding. If you search you can probably find the posts relating to this topic.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #8295
Tech Fanatic

Im trying to find out if I have the latest version of software. I just installed the 150a xerun and the prog box...when I installed the software it said there was a newer version but when I try to update I get update fail error. Am I running the latest version and why cant I update? Thanks.
Hardware ver: HW437_V5.0_150A
Software ver: V1.00_111207a_2R