R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 02-25-2012, 01:04 AM   #7951
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schroder View Post
It does nothing at all....
Weird I have the same thing as you, so the hobbywing software is in both the card and esc?
defcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:35 AM   #7952
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by defcone View Post
Weird I have the same thing as you, so the hobbywing software is in both the card and esc?
No i have SP in the program card and HW in ESC. Just weird i cant get the computer to link up at all yet i can adjust through the card. All i want is to be able to use the computer as well as the program card to adjust
Mike Schroder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:54 AM   #7953
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
No i have SP in the program card and HW in ESC. Just weird i cant get the computer to link up at all yet i can adjust through the card. All i want is to be able to use the computer as well as the program card to adjust
Just adjust settings through the sp software.
defcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:49 AM   #7954
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by defcone View Post
Just adjust settings through the sp software.
Wont let me do that either
Old 02-25-2012, 03:23 AM   #7955
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
When you plug ESC-LCD-PC, the LCD box becomes a link only, it doesn't do anything, and you could even use an Orion LCD box, it doesn't change anything from a HW LCD box, just plug all, launch the PC software, then turn ON the ESC switch, and it appears (or choose ESC in the software).

Two captures to show it :

First is HW software and Orion LCD box (you can see TO for TeamOrion), the HW software see the LCD box but you can't edit settings or update the box :

Now, once the HW ESC is connected, and you turn ON, the HW software see it perfectly, exactly like if I use the HW LCD box (but without PC, I can't edit HW ESC settings with the Orion LCD box):

The important thing is the PC software that needs to match the ESC firmware, so the firmware version has to be in the PC software database.

I would uninstall every software you have on your PC (both SP and HW), then only install the one matching your ESC firmware.
What is your ESC firmware version ?

Last thing, since some months, it's officialy known that you should not put a SP firmware in an HW ESC or an HW firmware in a SP ESC, so you better get back to a SP firmware.

Last edited by FFred; 02-25-2012 at 03:35 AM.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:16 AM   #7956
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post
When you plug ESC-LCD-PC, the LCD box becomes a link only, it doesn't do anything, and you could even use an Orion LCD box, it doesn't change anything from a HW LCD box, just plug all, launch the PC software, then turn ON the ESC switch, and it appears (or choose ESC in the software).

Two captures to show it :

First is HW software and Orion LCD box (you can see TO for TeamOrion), the HW software see the LCD box but you can't edit settings or update the box :

Now, once the HW ESC is connected, and you turn ON, the HW software see it perfectly, exactly like if I use the HW LCD box (but without PC, I can't edit HW ESC settings with the Orion LCD box):

The important thing is the PC software that needs to match the ESC firmware, so the firmware version has to be in the PC software database.

I would uninstall every software you have on your PC (both SP and HW), then only install the one matching your ESC firmware.
What is your ESC firmware version ?

Last thing, since some months, it's officialy known that you should not put a SP firmware in an HW ESC or an HW firmware in a SP ESC, so you better get back to a SP firmware.
I will have to check the firmware version tomorrow, but please elaborate on why you shouldnt put sp firmware on a hw esc and vice-versa?
Old 02-25-2012, 06:18 AM   #7957
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
I will have to check the firmware version tomorrow, but please elaborate on why you shouldnt put sp firmware on a hw esc and vice-versa?
It's simple : the brand said it themselves some months ago because hardware are not exactly the same.
You can think it's not true, but it's possible it is (Xerun V2.1 is different for sure than SP, V2.0 not sure).

Did you compare your lap times between both SP and HW firmware ?
Maybe the last HW firmware, even if not optimized for SP, can offer better lap times, but if it's not the case, just stick with SP.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #7958
Tech Rookie

Unhappy LRP X12 & Hobbywing Xtreme Stock Combo

Guys I'm looking for some advice on this, people have posted a few things already and I've spent some time searching this forum for answers and unfortunately there's nothing solid.

I run an F104 with an Xtreme Stock ESC and recently changed to a 21.5T LRP X12 motor (from a Novak Ballistic). With the blinky firmware the combo works great. On 903STOCK firmware the motor is fine on the bench but from a racing standing start the ESC enters sensorless mode (flashing green & Red light). This happens all the time, it seems the hard acceleration kicks it into sensorless mode. I've changed the motor (new X12), wiring, cap board, sensor cable, Lipo, 119 firmware with no change.

To top it off I run a TRF417X and put a brand new Xtreme Stock ESC in there. Completely different car, brand new electronics set for this season. I have put a new 13.5T X12 in that and boom, same problem, sensorless mode.

It does not matter what the boost or turbo settings are at for either car (even tried 0). I am running the 4 dot insert on all X12 motors so the timing on the motor is 27.5 deg. Most brushless motors have at least that or more built in. Do the X12s just have a poor sensor signal? It cannot be that I have a fault in 2 separate setups. Its either a design flaw in the X12 or the Hobbywing ESC/Firmware.. Its so frustrating not being able to resolve it, especially as I have spent so much money and time already on replacing parts and diagnosing through process of elimination. I'm no noob either, I've been racing for 10 years.

Any help would be appreciated though I accept this cannot be fixed through a simple change as I've already tried everything. All I'm looking for really is some kind of advice from CobraRacing on firmware
Old 02-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #7959
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

From what I have read in the past the lrp motor has a lot of timing built in. I would try using the insert with no dots to see if the problem persists.
brettweir78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #7960
Tech Regular

Quote:
It's simple : the brand said it themselves some months ago because hardware are not exactly the same.
You can think it's not true, but it's possible it is (Xerun V2.1 is different for sure than SP, V2.0 not sure).

Did you compare your lap times between both SP and HW firmware ?
Maybe the last HW firmware, even if not optimized for SP, can offer better lap times, but if it's not the case, just stick with SP.
No worries then. Any suggestions on how to convert back to the sp firmware as i have had no luck.....
Old 02-25-2012, 02:45 PM   #7961
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Can anyone update the link where I can download the new software? This topic is 501 pages long and I can't look through all the pages. Lol

Thanks
lewis110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #7962
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettweir78 View Post
From what I have read in the past the lrp motor has a lot of timing built in. I would try using the insert with no dots to see if the problem persists.
Thanks but as stated in my post I am using the insert with the least amount of timing (4 dot) See below -

4 dots / -10 degree end bell /27.5 degree total
3 dots / -5 degree end bell / 32.5 degree in total
2 dots / 0 degree end bell / 37.5 degree in total
1 dot / +5 degree end bell / 42.5 degree total
0 dots / +10 degree end bell / 47.5 degree in total

This was posted by someone earlier in the thread.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #7963
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
No worries then. Any suggestions on how to convert back to the sp firmware as i have had no luck.....
The best chance you have is to first downgrade from your current HW firmware to another HW formware, but from maybe 2010, to go to an old version where there was no problem to switch between SP and HW.

Then, you try to put a SP version but also an old one, and finish with the last SP version.

Here's a link to a 2010 HW version :
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?2pbp1cge8hc8kpz

And one to an old SP version :
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?188ebg0eevk8a1b

Try first to change ESC firmware, and if it does not see the ESC (it's not always automatic, you have sometimes to click on Devices then ESC), try to change the LCD box firmware and try again on the ESC.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:28 PM   #7964
Tech Regular

Quote:
The best chance you have is to first downgrade from your current HW firmware to another HW formware, but from maybe 2010, to go to an old version where there was no problem to switch between SP and HW.

Then, you try to put a SP version but also an old one, and finish with the last SP version.

Here's a link to a 2010 HW version :
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?2pbp1cge8hc8kpz

And one to an old SP version :
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?188ebg0eevk8a1b

Try first to change ESC firmware, and if it does not see the ESC (it's not always automatic, you have sometimes to click on Devices then ESC), try to change the LCD box firmware and try again on the ESC.
Thanks i will try it soon, i will let know of my success or lack of it.....
Old 02-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #7965
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

razor41, it stalls at the start ?
try turning the lipo cutoff off. you are pulling a lot of amps at the start. also if the timing is coming on to soon and or to fast, it will lose the sensors signal.

It works in blinky mode ( no timing added ) so add the timing slower and not so much.

higher start rpm and lower ramp. with a less aggressive throttle start at the bottom and work your way up till it stalls again.
hope that helps.
Wall Banger is offline   Reply With Quote