R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 11-09-2011, 11:03 AM   #6886
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRARACING View Post
Did you chaneg the cap before you had the issues ?

35v is way to high max 16v should be used .
The voltage of the capacitor will not make a difference except if the voltage is too low. Lower voltage spec caps tends to be used only for cost purposes.
YZFAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #6887
Tech Regular

Default HOBBYWING XERUN Black V2 Brushless Motor 60A ESC SL963

HOBBYWING XERUN Black V2 Brushless Motor 60A ESC SL963

Does this ESC work with 1S Li-Po?

I want to use a 1S Li-Po in WGT-racing.

If not, any other very cheap ESC I could go for?
Kensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:23 PM   #6888
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRARACING View Post
Did you chaneg the cap before you had the issues ?

35v is way to high max 16v should be used .
Actually just thinking Angelo, the cap is rated 16V but because we have 4 inline, does this mean that it is 4 x 16 = 64V ?? or it does not matter. it is still 16V through? What would happen if we had 5 in a row for example?

Drink EARTH water and save lives! in support of WFP
olly986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:59 PM   #6889
Tech Adept

No, the capacitors don't have voltage they are just capable of handling a certain voltage and that is whats written on them. A 16volt capacitor charged with 8.4volts will have 8.4volts in it. A 16 volt capacitor with a 24 volts in it will explode or leak a lot of current because it beyond rating. What happens with capacitors in parallel is you increase the capacitance. 4X330uF = 1320uF 2x330uF = 660uF.

If a 10p capacitor(s) exceeds the used voltage, has enough capacity, it will do the job. some are slightly better than others but used for speed controllers you're not going to tell between them. Don't go speeding 10 -15 on a 50p capacitor.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #6890
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFAndy View Post
No the capacitors don't have voltage they are just capable of a certain voltage and that is whats written on them. What happens with capacitors in parallel is you increase the capacitance. 4X330uF = 1320uF 2x330uF = 660uF
ok thanks, but they do accumulate some power (volts?) when in use?

Old 11-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #6891
Tech Adept

Yes but only what's put into them. If you had a 1000v capacitor it might leak a bit of power at 2 cell lipo voltages and be a bit big but it would still do the same job.

Just to add, hobbywings 2 and 4 capacitor modules they do are very good quality and you would struggle to better them. Solid capacitors compared to the electrolytic type last for ages.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:34 PM   #6892
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Yes but only what's put into them. If you had a 1000v capacitor it might leak a bit of power at 2 cell lipo voltages and be a bit big but it would still do the same job.

Just to add, hobbywings 2 and 4 capacitor modules they do are very good quality and you would struggle to better them. Solid capacitors compared to the electrolytic type last for ages.
Thanks a mil, not trying to change for another type/make of capacitors, but it is true, that we take these little things for granted without knowing how they work and what they do.

So the frequency is more important than the voltage, but too much voltage is of no real use, so if we go up in uF, what would be the advantages? I guess that like everything, there is a maximum that does not need to be going over.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:40 PM   #6893
Tech Adept

Basically the capacitor acts as a buffer to the FETs on the speed controller. It works a bit like a battery, delivering current in-between the pulses of current from the FETs and takes a lot of load spiking from the FETs. More capacity capacitors (uf) will help with this load but you get to a point were no more capacity is needed. Too smaller capacity you will find a lack of punch, some lack of efficiency and a lot more heat from the speed controller. You may even blow the controller.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:47 PM   #6894
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
HOBBYWING XERUN Black V2 Brushless Motor 60A ESC SL963

Does this ESC work with 1S Li-Po?

I want to use a 1S Li-Po in WGT-racing.

If not, any other very cheap ESC I could go for?

Highly recommend getting the 120A 1S controller. It has a built-in Voltage booster/BEC, so you its easier to wire in. Supports turbo/boost etc.

Or, get the Xtreme stock, and use either a booster, or a receiver pack (recommend a booster). More wiring, but the ESC is lighter.

Shawn.
Shawn68z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:03 AM   #6895
Tech Elite

Quote:
The voltage of the capacitor will not make a difference except if the voltage is too low. Lower voltage spec caps tends to be used only for cost purposes.
The only reason why i have recommended the original cap is the we have done the testing on higer voltage low esr caps and they have failed.
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
COBRARACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:05 AM   #6896
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by olly986 View Post
Actually just thinking Angelo, the cap is rated 16V but because we have 4 inline, does this mean that it is 4 x 16 = 64V ?? or it does not matter. it is still 16V through? What would happen if we had 5 in a row for example?
No just the capacity increasesas andy has stated
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
COBRARACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:25 AM   #6897
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn68z View Post
Highly recommend getting the 120A 1S controller. It has a built-in Voltage booster/BEC, so you its easier to wire in. Supports turbo/boost etc.

Or, get the Xtreme stock, and use either a booster, or a receiver pack (recommend a booster). More wiring, but the ESC is lighter.

Shawn.
120A 1S should have smaller footprint to use it nicely in WGT... I am assembling CRC LE with 120A 1S and have trouble to place nicely ESC and cap... Although there is no placement problems with some smaller ESCs plus booster...

www.rc-cars.lt - offroad in Lithuania
www.lasa.lt - onroad in Lithuania
audriusv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:42 AM   #6898
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
No, the capacitors don't have voltage they are just capable of handling a certain voltage and that is whats written on them. A 16volt capacitor charged with 8.4volts will have 8.4volts in it. A 16 volt capacitor with a 24 volts in it will explode or leak a lot of current because it beyond rating. What happens with capacitors in parallel is you increase the capacitance. 4X330uF = 1320uF 2x330uF = 660uF.

If a 10p capacitor(s) exceeds the used voltage, has enough capacity, it will do the job. some are slightly better than others but used for speed controllers you're not going to tell between them. Don't go speeding 10 -15 on a 50p capacitor.
Thank you for all your explanations, I hope this profited other racers than me.
Regards,
Olly

Old 11-10-2011, 04:22 PM   #6899
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by audriusv View Post
120A 1S should have smaller footprint to use it nicely in WGT... I am assembling CRC LE with 120A 1S and have trouble to place nicely ESC and cap... Although there is no placement problems with some smaller ESCs plus booster...
Totally agree, It should fit fine behind the battery though, I got mine to git in my original GenX10 with the 1S batter fully forward, and the ESC at the back of the car (near the motor), the caps are shoe goo'ed along the side of the battery. Let me know if you want pics.

It would be nice if the ESC was lighter too, its pretty heavy unit for 13.5 racing.

Cheers,
Shawn.
Shawn68z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:46 AM   #6900
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn68z View Post
Totally agree, It should fit fine behind the battery though, I got mine to git in my original GenX10 with the 1S batter fully forward, and the ESC at the back of the car (near the motor), the caps are shoe goo'ed along the side of the battery. Let me know if you want pics.

It would be nice if the ESC was lighter too, its pretty heavy unit for 13.5 racing.

Cheers,
Shawn.
Please, if possible post pics. Thank you!

ESC fits right behind battery, but there is no room for receiver. I am thinking about putting ESC behind the battery but at angle. In this manner I can put receiver and cap next to ESC. And if I grind top plate I can have battery connectors near ESC...

Do not want to put anything on side of the battery. My colleague put Tekin ESC on side, got punched in race and broke ESC badly... Other smashed receiver...

www.rc-cars.lt - offroad in Lithuania
www.lasa.lt - onroad in Lithuania
audriusv is offline   Reply With Quote