R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 09-07-2011, 06:19 AM   #6196
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_P View Post
I've got no problem if everyone ends up running the same motor, more like spec racing. This year is a learning curve with 21.5 being the first time this class has run. It could have easily turned out that another motor could have been the one to have
I sort of agree however this style motor has only brought the speed of the class back up when change to the 21.5 was suppose to slow everything down. They have been outlaw for a reason. Remove these and everyone else is on a pretty level playing field and I very much doubt we would have seen as many motor expire as we have this year. I See that rug racers have limited the entry in the 21.5 class to F3 drivers only, I think thats great as it is supposed to be for learner driver before moving onto faster cars.
FunkyDunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #6197
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyDunky View Post
My mistake by GM I thought you meant the Graupner (Black/Silver) motor like the Corally. I expect the GM would be comparable to the D3 as a start point.

Hi Duncan,
had a look at your D3 settings - tried something similar and found it was not so good I think these motors are like the GM 2011 Gun Metal 21.5t and they don't like lots of timing.
So far - and I am still playing with the settings on a big track
DSSR 7
Boost timing 27
Turbo slope 18
Turbo 35
Boost start 4000
Turbo open delay off
boost acc 350
ratio 4.76

Unfortunately as it rained after the 1st leg of the final at Colchester I wasn't able to try a couple of changes to see how they affected it.
temp was 78c (went up as I added a bit more turbo - at turbo 28, temp was under 60c)
Hope this helps
Barry_Hughes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:37 PM   #6198
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_Hughes View Post
Hi Duncan,
had a look at your D3 settings - tried something similar and found it was not so good I think these motors are like the GM 2011 Gun Metal 21.5t and they don't like lots of timing.
DSSR 7
Boost timing 27
Turbo slope 18
Turbo 35
Boost start 4000
Turbo open delay off
boost acc 350
ratio 4.76

Unfortunately as it rained after the 1st leg of the final at Colchester I wasn't able to try a couple of changes to see how they affected it.
temp was 78c (went up as I added a bit more turbo - at turbo 28, temp was under 60c)
Hope this helps

Wow your FDR is low for a boosted car, did you still have plenty of punch out of the corners? I'll give it a try and see how it feels

With such a new class/electronics I think its going to be a long while yet still before some general rules can be found
FunkyDunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #6199
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_Hughes View Post
Hi Duncan,
DSSR 7
Boost timing 27
Turbo slope 18
Turbo 35
Boost start 4000
Turbo open delay off
boost acc 350
ratio 4.76

Hope this helps
just tryed them settings on the bench with a d3 and it seems pig slow lol but will give it try next time at ipswich unless my dad use the motor on the sat at west london
Old 09-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #6200
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyDunky View Post
Wow your FDR is low for a boosted car, did you still have plenty of punch out of the corners? I'll give it a try and see how it feels

With such a new class/electronics I think its going to be a long while yet still before some general rules can be found
Tried a higher fdr before at a Colchester club meet and the car was nearly as quick but got a lot hotter (over 103c).

The car has plenty of punch out of the corners, if I hadn't had a coming together on the last lap of last quali run i might have just sneaked into the A.
In the only leg of the final I ran, my car was as quick if not quicker than Stuart T's throughout the whole of the infield (strangely my lap times were slower) and I could easily gain coming out of the corners, I was just a bit down on top end on the straight. Again only an unfortunate coming together, then being hit again as I was being put back on the track, dropped me from second, but I was catching both 1st & 2nd quite quickly.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #6201
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwoods View Post
just tryed them settings on the bench with a d3 and it seems pig slow lol but will give it try next time at ipswich unless my dad use the motor on the sat at west london
Mark
At Ipswich the settings are slightly different and the FDR is around 6.66.
I haven't tried the low FDR yet at the club.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:23 PM   #6202
Tech Regular

any suggenstions on a start setup for a 17.5t motor (lrp x11) and boost on a small 16*8m carpet track?

and what gearing should i start with?
Old 09-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #6203
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 17.5 duo 3 boosted settings

Hi there I'm the proud owner of a new Hobbywing 1s 120 amp esc. and a Duo 3 17.5 turn.
I'm looking at running this at the upcoming Australian nationals in Perth.

So would anyone be kind enough to give me a good starting setup that would get me in the ballpark. I've never run this motor esc combo, nor raced at this track, so any and all help would be appreciated.

Cheers Dave
Toolmannz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:44 PM   #6204
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolmannz2 View Post
Hi there I'm the proud owner of a new Hobbywing 1s 120 amp esc. and a Duo 3 17.5 turn.
I'm looking at running this at the upcoming Australian nationals in Perth.

So would anyone be kind enough to give me a good starting setup that would get me in the ballpark. I've never run this motor esc combo, nor raced at this track, so any and all help would be appreciated.

Cheers Dave
Hi

Dave please send an email to the boys at ryper hobbies they are from perth and run at that track all the time Josh pain or dave simms will be able to help you out .

ryperh@bigpond.net.au

regards Angelo
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
COBRARACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:16 AM   #6205
Tech Adept

The new STOCK firmware will work with any motor wind right? Ive just ordered an 8.5 turn system to race 2wd mod buggy. Also, do the ESC 's come loaded with the firmware, or does the user do that? Im pretty excited about this new combo. Ive used ezrun's before and love how easy they are to use. This is the first xerun Ive brought though, can't wait!
Kyosho Lazer ZX-5 - Speed Passion Cirtix 'Stock Spec', Speed Passion 17.5
Kyosho TF3 - Old Skool 15t brushed
brighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:22 AM   #6206
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brighty View Post
The new STOCK firmware will work with any motor wind right? Ive just ordered an 8.5 turn system to race 2wd mod buggy. Also, do the ESC 's come loaded with the firmware, or does the user do that? Im pretty excited about this new combo. Ive used ezrun's before and love how easy they are to use. This is the first xerun Ive brought though, can't wait!
Yes, believe it or not guys are now using the stock firmwares with down to 4.0T motors, it's all a highly do at your own risk thing though, beware of gearing and how much timing you add...
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:39 AM   #6207
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by brighty View Post
The ESC's come loaded with the latest MOD firmware.
This is the least agressive firmware available, so a first time unexperienced user will not immediately destroy the ESC.
You have to load the STOCK firmware yourself, and you need a windows PC and the 2 in 1 program box to do so....

With the program box a CD is delivered with the USB link software on it, but you can better download and install the latest version already from the Hobbywing site.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:10 AM   #6208
Tech Adept

Thanks very much guys...the info is much appreciated.
Kyosho Lazer ZX-5 - Speed Passion Cirtix 'Stock Spec', Speed Passion 17.5
Kyosho TF3 - Old Skool 15t brushed
brighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:50 AM   #6209
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRARACING View Post
Hi

Dave please send an email to the boys at ryper hobbies they are from perth and run at that track all the time Josh pain or dave simms will be able to help you out .

ryperh@bigpond.net.au

regards Angelo
Thanks for the help Angelo I will contact them
Toolmannz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:43 AM   #6210
Tech Regular

Hi Angelo can you answer a question please
using 211 stock does setting the turbo delay to off just allow the amount of turbo to come in straight away or does it actually turn the turbo feature off<
If it allows the turbo to come in straight away what is the difference between the "off" and the "fastest" setting?

I have heard it suggested that on 211 the turbo delay should be set to off hence the question.
I am running 21.5T (as per the posts above)