R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 09-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #6181
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyDunky View Post
Mark don't do it!! I tried the D3 21.5 in the lads car at the weekend and it went bang again after 2 runs. Trying to get them as fast as a Corally just can't happen thats the second one this year, and it was running in the 75 degree range.

As for settings I will only even run the Graupner (Not GM) motor on the same settings as a Corally it is such a unique motor that setting can't be used in the same way as you do in 13.5

I will update my website later this week with my HW set up from Colchester for both the Corally and the D3 before it went bang! just remember to temp it is the golden rule!!

My settings are nothing like those used on a Corally, Toby ran my settings with his GM and was very pleased with the result
Still getting to grips with 21.5 and the racing is so close in lap times, but I am sure with a bit of practice at WLRC I can get it going a bit quicker.

But like the 13.5 the Corally is a totally different motor, and does appear to be quicker due it's construction, hence it not being BRCA legal. The only downside seems to be the construction, lots seem to shed the rotor!!!!

Last edited by Barry_Hughes; 09-06-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Barry_Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #6182
Tech Adept

Quote:
Mark don't do it!! I tried the D3 21.5 in the lads car at the weekend and it went bang again after 2 runs. Trying to get them as fast as a Corally just can't happen thats the second one this year, and it was running in the 75 degree range.

As for settings I will only even run the Graupner (Not GM) motor on the same settings as a Corally it is such a unique motor that setting can't be used in the same way as you do in 13.5

I will update my website later this week with my HW set up from Colchester for both the Corally and the D3 before it went bang! just remember to temp it is the golden rule!!

As promised ESC settings now updated on my website, I used the same settings on the D3 as Hobbywing however I turned the ACC to 350
FunkyDunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #6183
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwoods View Post
my dads used the d3 already and its pig slow , do u no how much timing is on the motor as kit?

the week after the stcc i ran my dads car with (21.5) both hw and corraly motors and i got within a second from the time set on the stcc meeting using the corraly but with the h/w i was bout 5 seconds slower and the motor got hot 105c i think.
I'm not sure but trawling through the web 2 tick + is the standard setting to start on.

Unfortunately the STCC TC4 class has turned into a single motor class with the Corally being the one to run. Think it may have spoiled it a bit as its always nice to be able to choose what motors to run.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:45 PM   #6184
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_P View Post
Cheers, I'll give it a go
I tried the higher RPM setting at this weekend and it didn't work, seemed the motor was getting to the boost earlier enough. Gearing down may have helped but up against other motors it was already loosing out. I would still suggest and ACC start point of 150 but start the RPM at 3000-4000 then alter your gear for temp and speed

Old 09-06-2011, 02:51 PM   #6185
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_Hughes View Post
My settings are nothing like those used on a Corally, Toby ran my settings with his GM and was very pleased with the result
Still getting to grips with 21.5 and the racing is so close in lap times, but I am sure with a bit of practice at WLRC I can get it going a bit quicker.

But like the 13.5 the Corally is a totally different motor, and does appear to be quicker due it's construction, hence it not being BRCA legal. The only downside seems to be the construction, lots seem to shed the rotor!!!!
My mistake by GM I thought you meant the Graupner (Black/Silver) motor like the Corally. I expect the GM would be comparable to the D3 as a start point.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:23 PM   #6186
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
You'll know your overtiming as the motor will stutter and won't work...

Simply put, 60 of real timing is about the limit any motor will sustain. End of.
If anyone states their putting 80 in they are talking crap, as the motor would be going backwards...

Don't believe me? Take an old brushed motor that you can adjust timing on, and whilst running it on a few volts, rotate the endbell and see what happens when you get to 90. The motor will start to stutter and become effectively confused as to it's position.

The same thing happens in brushless motors when running high motor timing advance coupled with high esc timing levels. The sensors will struggle to find the correct position of the rotor, making it stutter, or in the worse case, go backwards! Oh, and all that adds heat!

As most motors tend to need a bit of advance to run smoothly, (Around 20-30 for most motors, although I believe the X12's have nearer 40 built in), adding more than 30 of added timing brings them into the realms of diminishing returns... eventually to the point of just adding heat for less power.

Having said that, I haven't got into the fact that the timing naturally retards as you rev up a motor though, so adding timing does help...and why boosted profiles are more efficent than blinky. But, at the end of the day it's all a balancing act for best performance.

HiH
Ed

Yes very true at one stage the motor will null and then run in reverse about 65-70 degrees of true timing /Angle
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
COBRARACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:54 AM   #6187
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRARACING View Post
Yes very true at one stage the motor will null and then run in reverse about 65-70 degrees of true timing /Angle
So are the degrees of adjustment on the extreme etc true degrees as you say?
scoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:20 AM   #6188
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoop View Post
no they are steps as what degree of each step i dont really know how michael has configured it .But i will find out the true value of the steps .
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
COBRARACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:29 AM   #6189
Tech Initiate

Quote:
I tried the higher RPM setting at this weekend and it didn't work, seemed the motor was getting to the boost earlier enough. Gearing down may have helped but up against other motors it was already loosing out. I would still suggest and ACC start point of 150 but start the RPM at 3000-4000 then alter your gear for temp and speed

Ill try that, but it does look like I'm going to have to go back to the Graupner/Corally motor.....and a handfull of spare rotors! Its a shame I was really hoping the HW would be competitive
Old 09-07-2011, 04:10 AM   #6190
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoop View Post
He didn't say that.

If you "overtime" a motor, I don't think it will immediately start running backwards, because it has already a forward movement. It will slow down, and generate a lot of heat....
Old 09-07-2011, 04:12 AM   #6191
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
Ill try that, but it does look like I'm going to have to go back to the Graupner/Corally motor.....and a handfull of spare rotors! Its a shame I was really hoping the HW would be competitive
Try to let the HW motor rev., so go some teeth down on your pinion...
Or did you already try that?
Old 09-07-2011, 05:30 AM   #6192
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7H View Post
Try to let the HW motor rev., so go some teeth down on your pinion...
Or did you already try that?
Tried that, runs out of puff on the straights. Gear up and it looses on the infield. The performance is comparable with the Tekin, GM and SPv3 but I'm up against Graupners and Corallys in the STCC
Old 09-07-2011, 05:32 AM   #6193
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7H View Post
He didn't say that.

If you "overtime" a motor, I don't think it will immediately start running backwards, because it has already a forward movement. It will slow down, and generate a lot of heat....
Not sure who that was aimed at but, ive known for some time that this will happen to a motor and have worked on the safe side of a max of 55 degrees total timing on a motor. To be able to work that out and to play near to that figure it would be helpfull to know how many actual degrees of timing 211 gives you. Come to that i would like the same info on my fave 518
Does anyone know how many degrees the GM 10.5 runs. Im working on 30?
scoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:40 AM   #6194
Tech Elite

Quote:
Tried that, runs out of puff on the straights. Gear up and it looses on the infield. The performance is comparable with the Tekin, GM and SPv3 but I'm up against Graupners and Corallys in the STCC
It's ironic that the organiser of that series likes to go on about how blinky ESC's will only cause a motor war, yet he's happy to allow a motor war in his own series since the "outlaw" motor he sells himself has such a big advantage over BRCA-legal motors!
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:53 AM   #6195
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
It's ironic that the organiser of that series likes to go on about how blinky ESC's will only cause a motor war, yet he's happy to allow a motor war in his own series since the "outlaw" motor he sells himself has such a big advantage over BRCA-legal motors!
I've got no problem if everyone ends up running the same motor, more like spec racing. This year is a learning curve with 21.5 being the first time this class has run. It could have easily turned out that another motor could have been the one to have