R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 07-25-2011, 04:28 AM   #5716
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttingedge View Post
Umm FunkyDunky ( He sounds like he has fitted Guns to his Tamiya )

Do I know you ? you sound like a loony
Shame I turned up with a water pistol at the weekend!!

Great results well done fella
FunkyDunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:48 AM   #5717
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_Hughes View Post
Hi,
for your info your links for your Southend set ups both point to the wet set up. Would be interested in your dry set up.
Hi, sorry about that slight over sight on my part, these have been updated now.

Eastbourne and Ipswich will follow this week, determined to try and get the Hobbywing motors going this fast as well but just don't get the track time
Old 07-25-2011, 04:57 AM   #5718
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethallee69 View Post
Hi All,
I have just started to run a X12 13.5 with the extreme stock speedy, in my last race I achieved a track record and the car was nice and fast but came off at 114 degs C. Air temps were around 11-12 degs C
the track is a mix of fast straights and technical infield with a lap time of around 14secs, these are the settings I was using
211 firmware
MI4 CX
FDR 6.95 85spur 22 pinion
4: DRRS 6
9: Boost timing 40
10: turbo slope 12
12: Turbo Timing 18
13: Start RPM 6000
14: Turbo Delay 0.3 sec
15: Timing ACC 400
any suggestions to get the temps down?
Have been using the hobbywing 13.5 with these settings, it was not as quick but coming off the track after a 6min race at around 75-77 Degs

I would try lowering the start RPM as it is very high, I know the x12 is a revy motor but that still seems a little late. Also raise your FDR to 7.5 and let the motor rev out.

Hope it helps
Old 07-25-2011, 05:02 AM   #5719
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyDunky View Post
I would try lowering the start RPM as it is very high, I know the x12 is a revy motor but that still seems a little late. Also raise your FDR to 7.5 and let the motor rev out.

Hope it helps
have been told to let the torque of the motor pull it out of the corner, hence the higher start rpm, but will give your suggestions a try, thanks
I was alright, .......but I got over it
New Web Address www.stmcc.webs.com
lethallee69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:41 AM   #5720
Tech Adept

Quote:
have been told to let the torque of the motor pull it out of the corner, hence the higher start rpm, but will give your suggestions a try, thanks
Hi X12 buy design don't really have any torque due to the masses of internal timing in the motor, as with any changes you make always keep an eye on the temperature every couple of minutes to ensure nothing is going to go bang!
Old 07-25-2011, 05:50 AM   #5721
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Craig W Send a message via Skype™ to Craig W

Quote:
Hi All,
I have just started to run a X12 13.5 with the extreme stock speedy, in my last race I achieved a track record and the car was nice and fast but came off at 114 degs C. Air temps were around 11-12 degs C
the track is a mix of fast straights and technical infield with a lap time of around 14secs, these are the settings I was using
211 firmware
MI4 CX
Have been using the hobbywing 13.5 with these settings, it was not as quick but coming off the track after a 6min race at around 75-77 Degs
i would change fdr to 7.4 and lower boost timing to 30 take start rpm down to 5000 and acc up to 450 600 max
Craig W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:53 AM   #5722
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Craig W Send a message via Skype™ to Craig W

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
Leigh,

THe X12 has a large amount of timing inbuilt in the motor compared to the Hobbywing. Turn down some timing
he may need to check see what timing incert is in the motor should be on 4 dot
Craig W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:57 AM   #5723
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig W View Post
he may need to check see what timing incert is in the motor should be on 4 dot
definately 4 dot
I was alright, .......but I got over it
New Web Address www.stmcc.webs.com
lethallee69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:33 AM   #5724
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi, does anyone run a GM 13.5t with the supercharger software? If so could you please post your setup.
I seem to get a cooler motor when I run around 5fdr when most people run around 7fdr. I'm not far off the pace of the other cars(when I'm on the track)
but any advice with the GM motor would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:49 AM   #5725
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Tamiyalot View Post
Hi, does anyone run a GM 13.5t with the supercharger software? If so could you please post your setup.
I seem to get a cooler motor when I run around 5fdr when most people run around 7fdr. I'm not far off the pace of the other cars(when I'm on the track)
but any advice with the GM motor would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
I have often run a GM 13.5 (the 2010 gun metal grey one) and find it quite similar to an SP V3, a bit more punchy but with hotter temps, anyway my starting setups on an outdoor track (uk outdoor track so we are talking 35-45 m straight) are as follows;

FDR - 6.2
Software - 211
DDRS - 7 (up this if temps are ok)
Timing - 48
Turbo - 16
Start RPM - 9000
Turbo Delay - 0.0
Timing ACC - 300

My advice would be to keep it smooth, only use full throttle if you have to, ie on the main straightaway, if you are unable to do this add 0.3 onto the turbo delay!!
Bony85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:20 AM   #5726
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Hi All,
211 firmware
MI4 CX
Hi, i use :

FDR 8.0
DRRS 7
Start RPM 8000
Turbo delay 0.2
timing Acc 350

we have 70m straight and after 5 mins comes of at 85-95'C
mcdoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:22 AM   #5727
rai
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdoogle View Post
Hi, i use :

FDR 8.0
DRRS 7
Start RPM 8000
Turbo delay 0.2
timing Acc 350

we have 70m straight and after 5 mins comes of at 85-95'C
how fast are you compared with others on the straight? As mentioned above, though x12 likes to rev at 8000 it seems to be late. Our track has approximately 50 m of long straight and using a higher rpm and fdr of 7.7, others managed to overtake at the straight.

However, in my case it is a bit different since I'm using the x12 10.5 T. What is the surrounding temperature during running this setup? Ours again approximately at 40-48 degrees celcius and my motor temp. was at 89-92 degree celcius.
rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:30 PM   #5728
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray2011 View Post
This problem Sounds similar to mine... Can't remember having an overheating problem with my 50c battery but with the 65c fat cobra the temps are high and dying around 3 mins in... Also Had sensor trouble being intermittent between sensored and sensorless but a New lead appears to have sosted this.
Thanks,

ill take a note on that..today will not use 65c and see how it goes...
Old 07-25-2011, 09:52 PM   #5729
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyDunky View Post
Hi X12 buy design don't really have any torque due to the masses of internal timing in the motor, as with any changes you make always keep an eye on the temperature every couple of minutes to ensure nothing is going to go bang!
Actually, I disagree with that statement (no offence), but in my experience the X12 has loads of torque, more than most motors! It seems that because the stock setting is to retard the timing as much as possible (by using the 4 dot) this tends to aid the torque as well.
In all honesty the X12 is just a completely different motor to anything else out there in stock land... but find the sweet spot and boy it's fast!

For most motors, I do tend to go higher than most on the start RPM, as personally I don't think adding in timing so early is needed... again, from experience and driving round with a data logger, the motor will rarely dip down below 5k - 7krpm on the track (TC, 2s). Yes, this is motor dependent, but that figure is a good ball park.

In which case, IMO, there is no point having the timing added earlier, as all you are doing is in effect adding static timing (i.e. it's always in the rev range). A higher start rpm allows the static timing/torque do its job, before bringing in the extra... and with an X12 with large amount of inbuilt static, it doesn't need that added. For other motors with less static (or no adjustment) then maybe it's worth starting lower to give a bit extra hand. Anyway, just my opinion

HiH
Ed
Old 07-25-2011, 10:04 PM   #5730
rai
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post

For most motors, I do tend to go higher than most on the start RPM, as personally I don't think adding in timing so early is needed... again, from experience and driving round with a data logger, the motor will rarely dip down below 5k - 7krpm on the track (TC, 2s). Yes, this is motor dependent, but that figure is a good ball park.

HiH
Ed
Hi again Ed,

New additional info i got here from your post as I do not have data logger around. So what you're suggesting is that the start rpm to be at around this value of beyond the 7K rpm? Will this also depend on the track?

P/S : The race last weekend does not go very well but may be will have a practice today to try your suggestions.
Thanks.

Rai
rai is offline   Reply With Quote