R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 06-22-2011, 07:04 PM   #5371
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRARACING View Post
No need to be upset you ask what could have caused the problem for the esc to completetly die and i gave you an answer of the most common cause apart from running extreme settings .

You asked i answered not trying to make you look stupid at all.
It look hobbywing esc is perfect in the world. Any problem is caused by user only. No electronic, workmanship,firmware or materials fault. Very clever and smart service also!
jensen123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:47 PM   #5372
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensen123 View Post
It look hobbywing esc is perfect in the world. Any problem is caused by user only. No electronic, workmanship,firmware or materials fault. Very clever and smart service also!
Nothing is perfect in this world friend not even hobbywing but all we can do is try our best to keep everyone happy but that sometimes isnt possible as we try and explain something to the end user but it seems they get upset so easy .we work with our customer not against them .

so please send me your details also when you sent in the esc for repair and i will pass them on to the factory so we can give you a free repair service for your troubles thats the best we can do to help you .As your aware the delivery charge is up to you to sort out .

Thank you in advance for using hobbywing

regards Angelo
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
COBRARACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #5373
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steliosh View Post
Back on my Thunder Tiger SB-5 1/5 rc bike...
Xtreme Stock with a new Nosram Pure Evo 17.5T motor (X12 equivalent), with 4-dots insert.
Xtreme settings:
211 sw
ddrs 5
boost 34
slope 12
turbo 25
start 3000
delay 0.2
acc 250

Before the X12 I had an X11 Nosram, with 7.5 FDR. I upped that to 8.1 FDR and the bike gained top speed and good acceleration out of slow corners. With the X11, motor temps were 90C with the 7.5 FDR, went down to 80C with the 8.1.
Yesterday I installed the X12 motor, FDR tested were first 8.1, motor temps 80C... I went to 8.7 FDR and motor temp soared to 125C!!!!!
But...it was absolutely ripping all over the track, I believe it was like a mod motor! Amazing...
And I use both a cooling fin and a fan on the motor (and on the X11, before)!!!
I left the bike with the esc switch on for 10 minutes on a new battery, just to cool the motor after that run, but I was scared, to say the least! after it went down to 50C, I ran the bike again, with 8.5 FDR and motor temps were again 120 or so...

Battery consumption in all cases was around 1900 mah... Ambient temps all these days are 32-35C...

Any ideas on what could drop motor temps AND keep that great feeling in the motor?!!!
Sounds like at the the higher FDR (8.7), your bringing the boost in too fast and too much. As you gear higher on FDR, you let the motor have more Revs earlier (more rpm for the same speed)... so can lengthen the ACC value to compensate a little.

I would also suggest dropping the boost level a bit, as the X12's have more inbuilt timing then most other motors (even with the 4dot insert).
Things I would try (in order);

5, then 10 less on the boost
Increase the ACC 50 points at a time.

Try that out and see how it goes
HiH
Ed
Old 06-23-2011, 03:02 AM   #5374
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn68z View Post
Sounds like your motor is spending to much time with alot of timing. Have you tried taking timing away from the motor, and running a bigger pinion?

A rule of thumb is 5 degree's of timing, is 10c of temp. One tooth (.15 of FDR Change), is also good for 10c of temp. That would be for a 2S 17.5 Touring car. Your Motorcycle might behave alittle different.

When running a lower FDR, you will find it better to use more boost then turbo. this will allow you to still have alot of acceleration in the infield, and just use alittle extra turbo on the straight to keep the top end. Your motor will spin less RPM, and spend less time at full timing, keeping your temps down.

Shawn
Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
Sounds like at the the higher FDR (8.7), your bringing the boost in too fast and too much. As you gear higher on FDR, you let the motor have more Revs earlier (more rpm for the same speed)... so can lengthen the ACC value to compensate a little.

I would also suggest dropping the boost level a bit, as the X12's have more inbuilt timing then most other motors (even with the 4dot insert).
Things I would try (in order);

5, then 10 less on the boost
Increase the ACC 50 points at a time.

Try that out and see how it goes
HiH
Ed
Thanks, both for the help.
This is why I also wrote the mah consumption, as well as the weight of the bike, at 1900grams, which is the rule minumum for the Worlds.
So, the general consensus, especially with the X12, is less boost and/or more ACC...
You know... even though I am not racing the bike locally, there's no such thing as rc bike racing here, I am going to my local (VERY!) friendly track and practise two or three times a week, each time maybe 4-6 ten-minute sessions, with cool-off periods in between. And this will be the electronics combination I will run at the 2011 RC Bike Worlds, in August at the famous Lostallo, in Switzerland!!!
Nowadays, I prefer late afternoons, after 5 or 6 pm, so the area temps are a bit calmer. During the day there's 33-35C...

I will duly test in the afternoon, again!

KP-Designs KP10e 1/5 rc bike, Kyosho Lazer ZX-5, HPI Baja SS, Xray T1 FK05, Venom GPV1 1/8 rc bike, Anderson M5 Cross 1/5 rc bike, TT SB-5 1/5 rc bike
steliosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #5375
Tech Adept

Five batteries (actually 10- to 12-minute sessions) ran today and I can happily report that motor temps dropped to a lot more reasonable levels. However, being late afternoon, the air temp dropped to maybe 28C when I ran the 5th battery, while it was around 34C at the first. I was at the track from 17:00 to 20:00!
Anyway...
I followed your advice and went to finally these settings:
Punch 5
boost 25
slope 12
turbo 20
start 3000
delay 0.2
acc 250
Motor temp at those settings reached 95C, which I think is qute reasonable. It started at 110C, then dropped gradually with every 5 points of boost, then dropped another 5 with raising the ACC and finally with lowering the turbo. I might try raising the turbo to 25, though...
In the last battery I also went up a tooth on the pinion, raising the FDR from 8.7 to 8.4...
My lap times were consistently dropping, but I can't still get below 36 sec!!!
Best was 36.0-something, and I could do a few laps near 36.1-36.3, easily.
So, once again, thanks Shawn and Ed! Your advice proved worth a few degrees lower motor temps!

KP-Designs KP10e 1/5 rc bike, Kyosho Lazer ZX-5, HPI Baja SS, Xray T1 FK05, Venom GPV1 1/8 rc bike, Anderson M5 Cross 1/5 rc bike, TT SB-5 1/5 rc bike
steliosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:39 PM   #5376
Tech Addict

Default New Hobbywing?

Already available the new Xerun 160?
Old 06-23-2011, 06:50 PM   #5377
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGNO View Post

Already available the new Xerun 160?
Thats the Orion R10... not the v3 HW...
Old 06-24-2011, 01:01 AM   #5378
Tech Addict

Quote:
Thats the Orion R10... not the v3 HW...
I know , but it looks a lot like this...
...and the instructions / functions are identical to the whole series Xerun... maybe it's a pre-realise Hobbywing Xerun V3 for Orion?
Attached Thumbnails
NEW HOBBYWING STOCK SUPERCHARGED SOFTWARE-xerun-v3.jpg  
Old 06-24-2011, 01:14 AM   #5379
Tech Master

The new orion esc is being designed in cooperation with hobbywing and no it is not a rumour....
Old 06-24-2011, 01:17 AM   #5380
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGNO View Post
I know , but it looks a lot like this...
...and the instructions / functions are identical to the whole series Xerun... maybe it's a pre-realise Hobbywing Xerun V3 for Orion?
I can say it's not a v3, although it's also not a v2... from what I've been told.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:33 AM   #5381
Tech Addict

Quote:
I can say it's not a v3, although it's also not a v2... from what I've been told.
Yes, I believe it is not a definitive V3, but even so it is very nice ...
Old 06-24-2011, 02:17 AM   #5382
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdrive View Post
The new orion esc is being designed in cooperation with hobbywing and no it is not a rumour....
You got to be kidding me!...
Old 06-24-2011, 02:26 AM   #5383
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default settings

Hi Guys, try to put your settings advice in here http://www.rctech.net/forum/8885410-post1.html as we want to keep an up to date database of them available for everybody to use
Old 06-24-2011, 02:34 AM   #5384
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7H View Post
You got to be kidding me!...
nope, not kidding at all!

I have it from a very good source
Old 06-24-2011, 03:09 AM   #5385
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry2blost View Post
No Problem Martin will hold one back for you buddy !!
It's ordered, payed, and I guess your about to send it to me....